MSC vs other cruiseline ships

Chris19821

Hi all

We will be sailing on the brand new MSC Seascape in a couple of weeks and we are really looking forward to our trip!

You, as real cruise experts, how would you rate the new MSC ships compared to other cruiselines? Some rate other cruiseline as 5-star ships and some cruiseline are rated as 3-star ships. To me, those new MSC ships look like luxurious ships that can definitely compete with other luxurious cruiselines. We have everything included such as spa access, internet, premium plus drink package and the voucher even mentions: Studio Portrait / Dinner Photo / Photo with master. Anyone knows what that includes?

Anyhow, we are really looking forward to exploring the ship! To me, for the last 8 years, MSC is doing a great job with all those new ships such as Seascape, World Europa, etc.

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Having sailed the Meriviglia and Divina, they are beautiful ships.  All cruise ships have their own signature with the way they look and are presented.  MSC has more of a European feel than a Royal, NCL or Carnival ship.  Not better.  Not worse.  Just different.  MSC does give off more of a “glitzy” vibe with crystal staircases and the use of chrome.  

Cabins are similar to the other lines.  

Entertainment is where MSC differs the most.  Again, focused more on appealing to a broader audience given its European roots.

• Like 6

What other cruiselines have you sailed?  What do you like about the others?

We sailed on Seaside and really liked the whole experience.  I think one of the things we enjoyed the most was the passenger mix.  Rather than the locals we usually sail with, Americans were in the minority, and it made the cruise feel more like being "away".

We were happy with our cabin, service, food, entertainment, and all the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris19821 said:

We sailed with MSC, Celebrity Cruises, Norwegian and Holland America. 

We are Belgian and we like the American vibe 🙂 

Wow...liking the American vibe isn't something you hear often from Europeans 😀

I'll return the compliment by saying I love your food and beer 

Anyway, you got good answers but I will say in terms of stuff to do, the newer ships from carnival, royal, etc have more. For example, on royal ships you can do simulated sky diving, bumper cars, ice skating, rock climbing. Royal and Celebrity have escape rooms (the latter done in a non traditional way, but still...)

This isn't a knock against MSC, just saying those are differences.

• Like 4

Haha true, most Europeans are not really into the American vibe 🙂 but we LOVE it!
Belgian beer & waffles are the best though, I must admit!

In terms of entertainment, we are not really into the bumper cars, ice skating, etc. For example, the Robotron on the Seascape is not something you will see me in. We love the MSC entertainment shows though. They're among the best we experienced at any cruiseline. 

• Like 4

Well: Actually; I'd consider pretty much all MSC ships, except for the smaller and older Lirica class ones, as being European land hotel 4* standards ships. Each class has an identity. I believe the Seaside class, from where the Seashore is part of, is sort of classy ships to enjoy the good sunny days, especially for the US market. There is currently a mix of both the European heritage and some American vibe. To give an example; instead of a grand piano for classical music in the atrium like on the older classes, on the Seaside class there is now a place for a rock band to make their shows. And I could go on and on. You'll have a nice time, granted you enjoy the new car smell in areas!

Regarding the photo package, it seems that it is part of such a bigger special moments package you purchased or your TA offered you. It seems a triplet photo with 2 regular ones (one during dinner on gala night and one with captain) plus a bigger studio one. I had a similar thing once from my TA. They use to have a huge list of those special moment packages listed on their brochures.

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Wow...liking the American vibe isn't something you hear often from Europeans 😀

No kidding. I'm born and raised US (I don't say American as there's N America and S American - not just us US folks) and prefer the Euro vibe when sailing - it's simply a lot more fun. 

@Chris19821 - Then again, not a lot of folks put Norwegian, X and Holland in the same sentence as they are all VERY different lines and for the most part (painting with a very wide brush here) attract different demographics with their ships (although X is a little closer to HAL). Which of those 3 lines would you consider your "sweet spot"? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Well: Actually; I'd consider pretty much all MSC ships, except for the smaller and older Lirica class ones, as being European land hotel 4* standards ships. Each class has an identity. I believe the Seaside class, from where the Seashore is part of, is sort of classy ships to enjoy the good sunny days, especially for the US market. There is currently a mix of both the European heritage and some American vibe. To give an example; instead of a grand piano for classical music in the atrium like on the older classes, on the Seaside class there is now a place for a rock band to make their shows. And I could go on and on. You'll have a nice time, granted you enjoy the new car smell in areas!

Regarding the photo package, it seems that it is part of such a bigger special moments package you purchased or your TA offered you. It seems a triplet photo with 2 regular ones (one during dinner on gala night and one with captain) plus a bigger studio one. I had a similar thing once from my TA. They use to have a huge list of those special moment packages listed on their brochures.

Thanks so much for the information! Much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Griff4AU said:

No kidding. I'm born and raised US (I don't say American as there's N America and S American - not just us US folks) and prefer the Euro vibe when sailing - it's simply a lot more fun. 

@Chris19821 - Then again, not a lot of folks put Norwegian, X and Holland in the same sentence as they are all VERY different lines and for the most part (painting with a very wide brush here) attract different demographics with their ships (although X is a little closer to HAL). Which of those 3 lines would you consider your "sweet spot"? 

Don't agree with the Euro vibe sailings. It really depends on your fellow passengers. Sometimes, for some reason, people tend to be more impolite...more formal. Especially cruises with a lot of kids. I don't see myself on a Disney Cruise... too many kids running around lol. As a European, I like the American vibe... you guys seems to talk to everyone 🙂 And that's what we like. Europeans tend to be more formal.

And I also disagree (don't blame me for that 🙂 ) with the Norwegian, X, MSC, HAL thing. To me, nowadays each cruiseline is about on the same level. True, decades ago there were differences but today each cruiseline has great ships (true, with their own identity) but honestly, don't all the cabins kind of look the same today? Service I experienced on all cruiselines was about the same really... no big differences at all. Food on X was slightly better. And yes, on X they filled our ice bucket each night without asking. But does that really mean they're different from all the other cruiselines? Not to me.

Edited by Chris19821
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chris19821 said:

And I also disagree (don't blame me for that 🙂 ) with the Norwegian, X, MSC, HAL thing. To me, nowadays each cruiseline is about on the same level. True, decades ago there were differences but today each cruiseline has great ships (true, with their own identity) but honestly, don't all the cabins kind of look the same today? Service I experienced on all cruiselines was about the same really... no big differences at all. Food on X was slightly better. And yes, on X they filled our ice bucket each night without asking. But does that really mean they're different from all the other cruiselines? Not to me.

I've been on all the major cruise lines, including the Divina, Meraviglia, , Seasview, and the Grandiosa. MSC is more similar than different. Sailing on MSC in Europe is a very different experience- of course more Europeans, more formal, and you feel like eveyone is invisible to one another (quite unfriendly according to American behaviors, smiling, saying hello, etc).

MSC's weak/poor customer service, especially their website and tecnology continue to be substandard and frustrating. The crew onboard is just fine and if you approach the front desk pleasantly, they are also just fine. Our last MSC cruise was in March and the ship seemed unprepared for that week's surge in passengers. Sort on staff, food shortages, etc. I hope they have their act together in January.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris19821 said:

Don't agree with the Euro vibe sailings. It really depends on your fellow passengers. Sometimes, for some reason, people tend to be more impolite...more formal. Especially cruises with a lot of kids. I don't see myself on a Disney Cruise... too many kids running around lol. As a European, I like the American vibe... you guys seems to talk to everyone 🙂 And that's what we like. Europeans tend to be more formal.

Sort of agree with you on the US vs EU vibe. TBHH: One of the reasons I booked lady RCI's Allure of the Seas here in Europe was for, at least partly, to experience such an "American vibe" aboard the ship, and the experience didn't disappoint, to say the least. Maybe; whatever the cruise line, things may vary by the region. Imagine such a Brazilian vibe on a coastal Brazilian cruise before the TA... Not better, nor worse, surely different!...

I don't agree with you on the fact that all cruise lines seem the same these days. Me thinks that it is the very opposite. Only cruised myself on MSC and RCI, but went for work purposes on several ships of pretty much every other company out there, and if there's a thing that pops out on me, it is the market segmentation... Companies like CCL, NCL, RCI and MSC focus more on the affordable family holiday opportunities with OK food, lots of family like entertainment opportunities, companies on the likes of X, Princess, TUI, HAL, Cunard will focus on a superior food and service level client oriented vacation for a more selected and perhaps older clientele; and then there are the likes of Oceania, Viking, Explora, Regent, Seabourne, Silversea and the likes whom will go out of this world on superb food and experience for such a top refined clientele.

Sadly for all of us; the mega-ship segment is running toward the youngster 3* like experience, while the medium-to-big ship segment is sort of retaining their 4*+ service level. This will frustrate some/many, mostly the ones for whom classy 4* is affordable and suffix, but 4*+ is a bit too much. That is my concern. I believe there's a place for classy solid 4* traditional cruising experience, but no one to actually provide it the way it should be done. Time will tell, but the prospects aren't favorable for some/many here in the CC's experienced cruisers brigade... Some will likely to be out in a not so long time frame; me included.

Have a nice Sunday!...

• Like 1

Europe is my favorite place to travel to and, in general I agree with what you said about talking. However, I've found that once you start to talk to Europeans, they open up and are super friendly.

As for cruise lines being the same, I agree with that too. The differences are more subtle. For example, Royal tends to have more adventurous activities and production quality shows. Carnival is more wild. NCL has great specialty restaurants and good free food options. Of course these are generalizations. If you want, you can have pretty much the same experience on each line if you cruise for sun, pools, and islands.

• Like 1

I'm old enough that we can agree to disagree and still not fight and and still have a pint. Nowadays it seems like any disagreements are fighting words. Ah, "progress."

I think @Nunagoras says it well...  Sail enough US based itineraries and I don't think you'll disagree with my above statement. The Pax that a Carnival and NCL attract IN GENERAL is a extremely different that HAL and X. So even if the ship was the same, the fellow pax (overall) are different). 

I haven't done enough Euro / Med sailings to venture a guess, but I would guess that Princess (since we haven't named them yet) has a different vibe with their US sailings vs their non US sailings. I'll be on a MSC Brazil sailing in a few weeks and I am hoping for a more S American / Euro vibe.

Let's be honest, if the folks who think Carnival / NCL offer the same product that a X offers, then Celebrity would absolutely be out of business because no one would be willing to pay the price difference. Marketing gimmicks only take you so far. I am FAR FROM the most experienced cruiser on here, but I've been on nearly every line and I own a cruise-only TA (that I have ZERO operational involvement with so I hope I am not breaking the CC rules) - I think I am pretty knowledgeable and open minded. I have never heard an experienced (and knowledgeable - there is a difference) cruiser say all the US lines are similar to each other with their US sailings.

To @Chris19821 original point, I'll be on new MSC ship in June - so I guess I'll know more then. But from what those who have been on the new MSC ships have told me, the new MSC ships compete with all the mainstream newer ships - and are stunning. It's the service levels and "vibe" that are different. As an N American, if I was worried about MSC, I wouldn't be on the "lowly" 3.5* Preziosa in a few weeks (admittedly doing YC). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

To @Chris19821 original point, I'll be on new MSC ship in June - so I guess I'll know more then. But from what those who have been on the new MSC ships have told me, the new MSC ships compete with all the mainstream newer ships - and are stunning. It's the service levels and "vibe" that are different. As an N American, if I was worried about MSC, I wouldn't be on the "lowly" 3.5* Preziosa in a few weeks (admittedly doing YC). 

Haha exactly, we are old enough that we can agree to disagree. Same to people who are 'against' cruising. Fine for them. I love it. No need to start a discussion.

By the way, is there a star rating for cruise ships? Does that even excist? You mention the lowly 3.5* Preziosa, where do I find the official star rating system? Not the stars that we as customers can give, only interested in an official star rating system.

32 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

I'm old enough that we can agree to disagree and still not fight and and still have a pint. Nowadays it seems like any disagreements are fighting words. Ah, "progress."

I think @Nunagoras says it well...  Sail enough US based itineraries and I don't think you'll disagree with my above statement. The Pax that a Carnival and NCL attract IN GENERAL is a extremely different that HAL and X. So even if the ship was the same, the fellow pax (overall) are different). 

I haven't done enough Euro / Med sailings to venture a guess, but I would guess that Princess (since we haven't named them yet) has a different vibe with their US sailings vs their non US sailings. I'll be on a MSC Brazil sailing in a few weeks and I am hoping for a more S American / Euro vibe.

Let's be honest, if the folks who think Carnival / NCL offer the same product that a X offers, then Celebrity would absolutely be out of business because no one would be willing to pay the price difference. Marketing gimmicks only take you so far. I am FAR FROM the most experienced cruiser on here, but I've been on nearly every line and I own a cruise-only TA (that I have ZERO operational involvement with so I hope I am not breaking the CC rules) - I think I am pretty knowledgeable and open minded. I have never heard an experienced (and knowledgeable - there is a difference) cruiser say all the US lines are similar to each other with their US sailings.

You actually said what I was trying to say in a much better way. X is our cruise line of choice now because we're older, but we still sail carnival once a year or so so that we don't get too old 😀

The superficial things on the ships are pretty much the same, but some excel in certain areas. X has the best food at sea IMHO for example, while Royal has the best physical activities.

The demographics, like you said, do vary wildly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris19821 said:

By the way, is there a star rating for cruise ships? Does that even excist? You mention the lowly 3.5* Preziosa, where do I find the official star rating system? Not the stars that we as customers can give, only interested in an official star rating system.

I don't think so. As you can tell from my post count, I don't spend a lot of time here on CC. I am guessing that when folks are referring to stars, they are referring to the rating given by one of the big (massive) cruise TA's. Can't mention names.. but begins with a V and owned by a guy named Fox. So I think that's where folks refer to the star ratings. I just don't know.

I've had some customers rave about the Preziosa - almost (playful) cult-like the Princess folks (me included) have a love affair with the Caribbean Princess (I think I have 4 sailings on her). So I am going to be on my first 3.5* ship - and we're going to have a great time.

My simple belief is that if you treat everyone well and with respect, and talk TO people and not AT them, you are almost guaranteed great service anywhere and at any time. And I have never had cr@ppy service on a cruise. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

I don't think so. As you can tell from my post count, I don't spend a lot of time here on CC. I am guessing that when folks are referring to stars, they are referring to the rating given by one of the big (massive) cruise TA's. Can't mention names.. but begins with a V and owned by a guy named Fox. So I think that's where folks refer to the star ratings. I just don't know.

I've had some customers rave about the Preziosa - almost (playful) cult-like the Princess folks (me included) have a love affair with the Caribbean Princess (I think I have 4 sailings on her). So I am going to be on my first 3.5* ship - and we're going to have a great time.

My simple belief is that if you treat everyone well and with respect, and talk TO people and not AT them, you are almost guaranteed great service anywhere and at any time. And I have never had cr@ppy service on a cruise. 

This!...

While I bring some help from a big EU TA, my rankings are done from my 20+ years on financial market analysis work and from my personal experience as an user of so many tourism venues out there. I've stayed on it all from baseline Ibis to Ritz Carlton, and I understand what the differences are from product to product. The superficial appearances don't talk even minimally for the product itself. There was a little hotel in Barcelona, Hotel Condado, that used to be a 3* hotel, marketed and priced as that... But... It was a place so familiar and beautiful back in the day I was surprised it was indeed a 3* one! I went there repeatedly for several years till they seemed to have disappeared from the radar! Again; a nice place it was, but, if one watches closely it was a baseline 3* hotel, perhaps wishing to go a little bit higher. On cruises it is the same thing. Marella or Celestyal are 3* cruise lines, comparable to that small Barça hotel. The biggies on the mainstream follow mostly whatever 4* hotel standards available. X/P and the likes will go to the 4*+ and so on.

• Like 1

Getting back to the OP's question we see MSC as two cruise lines.  1.  The Yacht Club and 2.  Everything outside the YC.   The YC is comparable to some very good cruise lines including even luxury lines.  We routinely cruise on Seabourn (which we love) but also are very satisfied in the Yacht Club.  We do think that the service inside the YC enclave is 2nd to none.   Outside the YC we think MSC is just one more mass market line with the usual "packed like sardines" problems on deck, so-so food, and average service.

In the interests of full disclosure, we have cruised on 17 cruise lines and more than 65 different ships.

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What a great thread.

We have sailed Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, NCL & DCL… that is our order of preference.

We find Celebrity & Princess to have best food & service; RCCL & NCL to have best shows & “one time only” activities. ( DCL only once…meh, not worth 30% more than others)

That being said, we would sail them all again! We find them ALLmore alike than difference.

Doing our 1st Carnival next month & MSC in Feb. (& MSC Europe in May)

We r pretty easy to please & go with the flow…

Your comments assure me we will have a great time no matter what!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KKB said:

What a great thread.

This is a really good thread. Good dialogue, folks gently disagreeing without the name-calling. Wow, let's not mess it up.

I think @KKB assessment is pretty good - and I agree with DCL. I was shocked when my daughters (early teens at the time) said after their first Disney cruise, "Dad, we want to go back to Princess." I was shocked, but happy to save the money since cruises were Dad / Daughters Spring Break tradition.  

I think @Hlitner nailed it when stating (and I am paraphrasing) that MSC is 2 lines, Yacht Club and everything else.   I was about to pull the trigger on a Med cruise on Princess (my personal preferred line) when I realize I can go Yacht Club on a newer MSC ship for less than a Mini on Princess. So I am pausing until I try my first YC experience in a few weeks. 

@alyssamma Thanks for the kind words - I suspect we're similar travelers although I don't think my better (and prettier) half is ready for X. I am not ready for HAL. I prefer NCL over Carnival, but it's a personal preference. 

I do think the various cruise lines do attract a different customer base IN GENERAL. There's been some threads (not sure if here on CC) and web-sites that say "if you're going to do TV / Retreat / Haven, why not do Seabourn?" My thought is that the "Elite Lines" offer exceptional service, but I don't see the "fun factor" which I still need. But dang, my one experience with them was pretty amazing.

Edited by Griff4AU
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Griff4AU said:

This is a really good thread. Good dialogue, folks gently disagreeing without the name-calling. Wow, let's not mess it up.

I think @KKB assessment is pretty good - and I agree with DCL. I was shocked when my daughters (early teens at the time) said after their first Disney cruise, "Dad, we want to go back to Princess." I was shocked, but happy to save the money since cruises were Dad / Daughters Spring Break tradition.  

I think @Hlitner nailed it when stating (and I am paraphrasing) that MSC is 2 lines, Yacht Club and everything else.   I was about to pull the trigger on a Med cruise on Princess (my personal preferred line) when I realize I can go Yacht Club on a newer MSC ship for less than a Mini on Princess. So I am pausing until I try my first YC experience in a few weeks. 

@alyssamma Thanks for the kind words - I suspect we're similar travelers although I don't think my better (and prettier) half is ready for X. I am not ready for HAL. I prefer NCL over Carnival, but it's a personal preference. 

I do think the various cruise lines do attract a different customer base IN GENERAL. There's been some threads (not sure if here on CC) and web-sites that say "if you're going to do TV / Retreat / Haven, why not do Seabourn?" My thought is that the "Elite Lines" offer exceptional service, but I don't see the "fun factor" which I still need. But dang, my one experience with them was pretty amazing.

This, exactly! And this is why I enjoy to stay here on the MSC CC boards. Even the worst times of the pandemic this boards never degenerated! Congrats to all the members!

Never done the YC, I believe it is a superior product, but not an "elite" line one. Either way: I have Explora (from MSC) on my radar for the Alaska on the next years to come (even though price consciousness is calling me the most on an HAL sailing. I wouldn't do mainstream on Alaska for obvious reasons)... But I don't consider myself an "Elite" cruise line's guest by the norm, even if I won the lottery, I'd to continue travelling on the medium sized ships. I believe the 3k guests segment (X/Princess) segment to be what could draw me on most of the time. Hope MSC to come with something on the likes on the mid-term future. I believe they'll to consolidate Explora on the next 5 years to come and then they'll eventually to pave the way for an upper-mainstream line for the 2028-2032 shipyard delivery schedule. We might to learn from it by late 2024, early 2025 if Explora is doing well by then... At least it would to make sense from a commercial point of view for them to do so, once this is IMHO where a good part of the next 20 years good cruising money will be...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

............ Either way: I have Explora (from MSC) on my radar for the Alaska on the next years to come (even though price consciousness is calling me the most on an HAL sailing. I wouldn't do mainstream on Alaska for obvious reasons)...

.... I believe the 3k guests segment (X/Princess) segment to be what could draw me on most of the time. 

Cutting and pasting here....    'Anyone know what CPA (in the US) really stands for?   Cut, Paste & Assemble.😉

For your Alaska comment...  I might offer that Alaska is the "one place" where I have encouraged folks to "maybe not do" your comfort-cruise-line and go with the folks who do Alaska best (for me, 3 come to mind)... And absolutely not everyone does Alaska the same...  And unless it's changed in the last 3 years (although what hasn't?), HAL is (and always has been) one of the 3 go-to Alaska cruise lines...  (and it's the only place you do not want a mega-ship). Not everyone does Alaska the same... (yes, I know I repeated that). 'Just one guys opinion.

Agree 100% on the 3k-ish ships. That's also my comfort level and I think Princess and X get it - although Princess is going larger with their new Sun Princess (4300 guests). 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 3:51 PM, Chris19821 said:

Hi all

We will be sailing on the brand new MSC Seascape in a couple of weeks and we are really looking forward to our trip!

You, as real cruise experts, how would you rate the new MSC ships compared to other cruiselines? Some rate other cruiseline as 5-star ships and some cruiseline are rated as 3-star ships. To me, those new MSC ships look like luxurious ships that can definitely compete with other luxurious cruiselines. We have everything included such as spa access, internet, premium plus drink package and the voucher even mentions: Studio Portrait / Dinner Photo / Photo with master. Anyone knows what that includes?

Anyhow, we are really looking forward to exploring the ship! To me, for the last 8 years, MSC is doing a great job with all those new ships such as Seascape, World Europa, etc.

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Such big and crowded ships with a low level of service can never be rated similar to luxorious cruise line ships. Maximum 3 stars for all MSC ships. If you book the Yacht Club maybe a little bit of luxury as long as you stay in that area.

46 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

Agree 100% on the 3k-ish ships. That's also my comfort level and I think Princess and X get it - although Princess is going larger with their new Sun Princess (4300 guests). 

Princess is going larger because Carnival Corporation believes that they can work the Princess experience on a ship that large.  They will succeed and be years ahead of X, or fail horribly and significantly tarnish the Princess brand.