Zero Knowledge of PR, MZ & Cabo --- what do you recommend?

mrgabriel

I know this is a wide-open question but I've searched the relatively recent questions here and am looking for a little more guidance.

We've never visited the Mexican Riviera before and I'm having trouble figuring out excursions. Normally, we like a beach day or a little tour with a stop at a beach or somewhere interesting. Maybe the tour operators are still recovering from stoppages during the pandemic but there seem to be practically no beach day excursions, or they're sold out. We aren't interested in tequila tours (especially at 8:30 am!) and I'm allergic to shellfish so some of the food tours can be a bit scary for me. And one of us has a motion sickness issue so the whale watching or speed boat type excursions aren't always fun. 

Any recommendations? If no specific recommendations, are there places where we can just hop in a cab and go to a nice beach?

TIA. 

While I understand the tendency of many cruisers to "do excursions" or just go to a beach we will be so bold as to make another suggestion.  You are going to several Mexican ports, all of which are major tourist towns.  In fact, many of your fellow Canadians live (for all or part of the year) in Mexico.  You can certainly go to a beach in most Mexican ports.  In fact, you might be able to get a tour (or make your own arrangements) to go to a resort where you will feel like you are in Florida!  And therein lies our suggestion.

Since you are in Mexico, why not try to see and enjoy some of the local shopping, food/drink, culture, etc?  For example, in Puerto Vallarta you can take an inexpensive taxi (no more than $5 per person) into town and stroll along the Malecon (a pedestrian walk way) where you can browse local shops, perhaps admire some Huichol crafts, sample food (Puerto Vallarta is a real foodie paradise).  If you start your walk from the Northern end of the Malecon (Rosita Hotel), eventually you will cross a small pedestrian bridge into the Romantic Zone (also called the Old Town) which has more shops, art galleries, and a beach (Los Muertos).  If the beach is truly a goal you can easily arrange for loungers or perhaps sit at a seaside restaurant.  You will be "annoyed" by vendors selling their wares (a friendly "no gracias" is OK) which some folks enjoy.  The vendors are just trying to make a living (they actually have their own Union) and even those of us who live in PV sometimes enjoy the interaction.

So, what I am suggesting is to enjoy Mexico rather than try to find something akin to the USA or Canada.    That being said, if you really have your heart set on a beach day and excursions, when in Puerto Vallarta you might want to book a cruise line excurison that goes to Las Caletas.  It is a lovely place (that you access via a boat ride) where they have food, drink, facilities, and a nice beach.  The downside of that excursion is that your only view of Puerto Vallarta will be from the deck of a large catamaran.  

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

While I understand the tendency of many cruisers to "do excursions" or just go to a beach we will be so bold as to make another suggestion.  You are going to several Mexican ports, all of which are major tourist towns.  In fact, many of your fellow Canadians live (for all or part of the year) in Mexico.  You can certainly go to a beach in most Mexican ports.  In fact, you might be able to get a tour (or make your own arrangements) to go to a resort where you will feel like you are in Florida!  And therein lies our suggestion.

Since you are in Mexico, why not try to see and enjoy some of the local shopping, food/drink, culture, etc?  For example, in Puerto Vallarta you can take an inexpensive taxi (no more than $5 per person) into town and stroll along the Malecon (a pedestrian walk way) where you can browse local shops, perhaps admire some Huichol crafts, sample food (Puerto Vallarta is a real foodie paradise).  If you start your walk from the Northern end of the Malecon (Rosita Hotel), eventually you will cross a small pedestrian bridge into the Romantic Zone (also called the Old Town) which has more shops, art galleries, and a beach (Los Muertos).  If the beach is truly a goal you can easily arrange for loungers or perhaps sit at a seaside restaurant.  You will be "annoyed" by vendors selling their wares (a friendly "no gracias" is OK) which some folks enjoy.  The vendors are just trying to make a living (they actually have their own Union) and even those of us who live in PV sometimes enjoy the interaction.

So, what I am suggesting is to enjoy Mexico rather than try to find something akin to the USA or Canada.    That being said, if you really have your heart set on a beach day and excursions, when in Puerto Vallarta you might want to book a cruise line excurison that goes to Las Caletas.  It is a lovely place (that you access via a boat ride) where they have food, drink, facilities, and a nice beach.  The downside of that excursion is that your only view of Puerto Vallarta will be from the deck of a large catamaran.  

Hank

Thanks for your ideas, Hank! I defaulted to excursions because we know nothing about any of these ports. I prefer to get away from the touristy places so will take your advice in PV! And thanks also for the heads-up about the vendors. 

• Like 1

I agree with Hank for PV.  Take a shuttle/minivan from the port to "El Malecon" -- which starts at the Rosita Hotel) and stroll south all the way to Los Muertos Beach.  There are lots of bars and cafes and tourist shops along the walk, lots of sculptures, lots of sand sculptures as well.  Enjoy.  Then, take a cab back to the ship when you are ready.  (During the walk, you will see a beautiful church a couple of blocks up from the waterfront -- well worth a visit.)

Cabo:  As soon as you get off the tender, you will be besieged by local vendors selling tours.  Take a tour to Los Archo.  It is a standard tour, to the world famous Arch.  If you want, the boat will let you off at Medano Beach, which has full facilities.  But if you get off at Medano Beach, you will have to wade ashore -- no docks for disembarkation!  You can then take a cab or a pedicab or walk back to the tender pier.

Mazatlan:  Look in this forum for Stone Island threads.  there should also be threads discussing "the Blue Line."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

IAny recommendations? If no specific recommendations, are there places where we can just hop in a cab and go to a nice beach?

Of course, an ocean beach may be quite exotic if you're from Alberta!!!

Here is a thread on walking self-tour in Mazatlan:

We're going to do that one of our two stops on a B2B. (The other will be a HAL "tour" called Salsa and Salsa where you learn to make salsa and to dance salsa!) 

ETA: these will be our 2nd and 3rd visits to Puerto Vallarta. First time we took public bus to the north end of the Malecon and walked to the bridge, possibly missing the Zona Romantica? where we bought margaritas and sat on the beach (loungers) under an umbrella -- all for the cost of the drinks! We may do it again at least one of the stops, and possibly take the bus the other way on the other.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, crystalspin said:

ETA: these will be our 2nd and 3rd visits to Puerto Vallarta. First time we took public bus to the north end of the Malecon and walked to the bridge, possibly missing the Zona Romantica? where we bought margaritas and sat on the beach (loungers) under an umbrella -- all for the cost of the drinks! We may do it again at least one of the stops, and possibly take the bus the other way on the other.

PV public bus is very easy to use and costs only US$1 each way for two passengers. Be sure to avoid the rush hour crowd as the bus would be packed like a sardine can. One thing I find amusing is that  sometimes there would be street entertainers on board to perform for tips. Some are good, others not so good but none is pushy if you don't want to tip after a performance.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Salsa and Salsa tour from the ships excursion in Cabo was a blast.  Lots of tequila and lots of fun making different Salsas.

Victors in Mazatlan.  No need for an excursion.  Beach and good food.  Easy walk and a short water taxi.  Highly recommend both of these.

Restaurante Victor's
https://maps.app.goo.gl/M3UXLBhR7Yt3hRqN8

On 12/13/2022 at 6:29 PM, sfaaa said:

PV public bus is very easy to use and costs only US$1 each way for two passengers. Be sure to avoid the rush hour crowd as the bus would be packed like a sardine can. One thing I find amusing is that  sometimes there would be street entertainers on board to perform for tips. Some are good, others not so good but none is pushy if you don't want to tip after a performance.

This is no longer the case and actually has been iffy for the past 3 years.  Nearly all the buses in PV now use electronic cash boxes (next to the driver).  When you enter you drop the appropriate coins or bills into the slots and do not get any change.  The drivers no longer make change.  The coin slot only accepts pesos.  While it would be possible to put dollar bills into the slot for bills, there is no change and it is unlikely any driver would now allow this to happen.  And with the current rate of exchange being about 19.3 :1 (at best) giving you two fares for $1 would be a losing proposition for any driver (they are responsible for the accounting).  By the way, my info is up to date as I am now living in PV and was just on a bus today :).

Being Mexico anything is possible and there might be a few bus drivers who would help out a tourist who only had dollars.  But that would be a matter of luck and less likely as time moves on and the drivers seem to like the electronic system that relieves them of dealing with any currency.

Hank

On 1/1/2023 at 2:19 PM, Hlitner said:

This is no longer the case and actually has been iffy for the past 3 years.  Nearly all the buses in PV now use electronic cash boxes (next to the driver).  When you enter you drop the appropriate coins or bills into the slots and do not get any change.  The drivers no longer make change.  The coin slot only accepts pesos.  While it would be possible to put dollar bills into the slot for bills, there is no change and it is unlikely any driver would now allow this to happen.  And with the current rate of exchange being about 19.3 :1 (at best) giving you two fares for $1 would be a losing proposition for any driver (they are responsible for the accounting).  By the way, my info is up to date as I am now living in PV and was just on a bus today :).

Being Mexico anything is possible and there might be a few bus drivers who would help out a tourist who only had dollars.  But that would be a matter of luck and less likely as time moves on and the drivers seem to like the electronic system that relieves them of dealing with any currency.

Hank

Thanks for this info..we always take the bus in PV and will make sure to have small currency pesos