Tamarind "pop up"

Hobie

I'm cruising on the Volendam in January.  The ship does not have Tamarind restaurant.

I know that sometimes, Pinnacle Grill does a Rudi's Sel De Mer "pop up".  I'm wondering if Pinnacle Grill ever does a Tamarind "pop up"?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Hobie said:

I'm cruising on the Volendam in January.  The ship does not have Tamarind restaurant.

I know that sometimes, Pinnacle Grill does a Rudi's Sel De Mer "pop up".  I'm wondering if Pinnacle Grill ever does a Tamarind "pop up"?

Thank you.

Our last cruise before COVID was the Amazon Explorer Nov. 2019 on the Volendam.  The Pinnacle Grill was beautifully transformed for this A Night at the Tamarind event.  The evening started of well with appetizers, but soon became a disaster as the Volendam kitchen became overwhelmed and the meal stretched almost 3 hours.  People became angry and walked out.  We stayed, although after 2+ hours we ran out of things to talk about!  The manager personally apologized to us and we were never charged.  The meal, when it came was delicious.  Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes.  The Tamarind is our favorite restaurant!

• Like 2

This would be so nice to see on Zaandam/Volendam, the Tamarind is the main thing I miss when sailing the smaller ships. I have to wonder if there is a specific reason as to why they don't do the pop-up Tamarind whereas the Sel de Mer is quite common. I wonder if it is because the Tamarind dishes or prep are harder to translate to the Pinnacle/MDR kitchen, especially given the example below from Loreto. 

14 minutes ago, Loreto said:

Our last cruise before COVID was the Amazon Explorer Nov. 2019 on the Volendam.  The Pinnacle Grill was beautifully transformed for this A Night at the Tamarind event.  The evening started of well with appetizers, but soon became a disaster as the Volendam kitchen became overwhelmed and the meal stretched almost 3 hours.  People became angry and walked out.  We stayed, although after 2+ hours we ran out of things to talk about!  The manager personally apologized to us and we were never charged.  The meal, when it came was delicious.  Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes.  The Tamarind is our favorite restaurant!

• Like 2

Here is the link of current dining per ship and which pop ups etc. are offered.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships.html

Click on "ships at a glance chart" and dining is on left side 

See my recent review of Tamarind w a note about the Distant Lands section of the Lido. If there is no Tamarind pop up, don't despair you may be able to replicate it pretty closely...

Edited by LMaxwell

15 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Here is the link of current dining per ship and which pop ups etc. are offered.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships.html

Click on "ships at a glance chart" and dining is on left side 

See my recent review of Tamarind w a note about the Distant Lands section of the Lido. If there is no Tamarind pop up, don't despair you may be able to replicate it pretty closely...

I saw that in your review. It has not been experience. No comparison for us really, but like all dining depends it will differ for everyone.

I will miss the Tamarind dearly when we sail Oosterdam in the fall. Although we have enjoyed all our meals on HAL, I really look forward to dining in the Tamarind.