Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

1 hour ago, SouKnoMe said:

The cabin that I choose is the Reserve Mini-Suite. From what I’ve read I will have access to the cabana lounge on 9 right? And the separate entrance to the dining room on 7 right?

I just helped my mother book a C2 reserve cabana for her December sailing. From what I can tell, the only rooms that have both cabana deck access and reserve restaurant access are category C1 or C2, and the only rooms in those categories are on deck 9.  They are called “Reserve Collection Cabana” rooms in the description.  There are some cabana mini-suites on other decks that don’t have reserve restaurant access (I don’t think they have cabana deck access either, just the attached private cabana), and there are some reserve mini-suites on other decks that don’t have cabanas or cabana deck access.

Edited by CatMom72
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dides said:

If you choose any Reserve stateroom on Sun Princess then you will be to access the separate Reserve Collection Dining Room on Deck 7.

However you would need to book a Reserve Cabana stateroom on deck 9 to access the Cabana deck. They are either side and set back from the Cabana deck. If you don't want a stateroom that looks directly onto the deck then be careful if booking a guarantee that you don't lumped into that category.

Not seen anything about deck names yet - we have to wait til the first cruise I think.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I don’t know the answer to your question but it sounds like you’ve booked an amazing stateroom. I’ve never been personally able to justify cost to value in the reserve mini suite … until the Sun. I’m very interested to see what “extras” are included with this stateroom. 

So looking forward to more details on the ship as well. Save me a seat! Thank you for your response. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dides said:

Another illuminated picture from the shipyard:

Screenshot_20240219-0739183.thumb.png.24a647265b358841f0c413fe17fc6a9b.png

Those (checks notes) fire escape staircases really look great when lit up at night 

Still shocked the revenue maximizers aka corporate placed outdoor staircases all over the aft instead of balconies/suites

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

Does anyone understand which cabana mini-suites are entitled for the Reserve Collection?

See the below description from the Princess web site:

Reserve Collection Cabana

Enjoy breathtaking views and in this resort-style stateroom that offers a balcony and a private cabana, an extra-large outdoor lounge space. The outdoor Cabana features unique outdoor furniture and an extra-large private outdoor lounge space. Unwind inside with a separate sitting area with sofa bed, and premium bathroom amenities. In addition, you will receive reserve collection upgrades, including access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Here's some enlightenment.  Princess will not miss you at all.  You'll be replaced by someone else.  The bean counters know you're replaceable. 

I never would defend Princess but at the same time it's very naive to think that this is the first time that this has happened.  Every mainstream cruise line has had a delay with one of their ships coming out, including your new cruise line of choice, Celebrity.

It also happened with the Royal Princess when that class was first built.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dides said:

If you choose any Reserve stateroom on Sun Princess then you will be to access the separate Reserve Collection Dining Room on Deck 7.

This is the main change with Sun that makes me more inclined to want the Reserve collection. I love the idea of the Reserve menu and service, and I think the separate dining room is a substantial upgrade for the money. (And not because I would want to apart from the people in the mains dining room. It just has a better feeling of a service delivered when we are talking about value for money.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

Does anyone understand which cabana mini-suites are entitled for the Reserve Collection?

I’ve heard some complaints about privacy when it comes to the cabana rooms. I think they seem wonderful. I like the idea of a nice sea day with the sun shining and me laying out on a chair — that I didn’t have to fight for or rush to reserve when I get on board — that has a walkway that servers can use to deliver drinks or food to me and I never have to leave my lounger. If it were a balcony, I’m still getting up from my relaxation to answer the door when room service stops by. I would put OceanNow to work. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I’ve heard some complaints about privacy when it comes to the cabana rooms. I think they seem wonderful. I like the idea of a nice sea day with the sun shining and me laying out on a chair — that I didn’t have to fight for or rush to reserve when I get on board — that has a walkway that servers can use to deliver drinks or food to me and I never have to leave my lounger. If it were a balcony, I’m still getting up from my relaxation to answer the door when room service stops by. I would put OceanNow to work. 

My plan! Gonna pay that fee and order… order… order. 😂

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Does each cabin have their own lounge chair area or is it shared? If shared, it may be hard to find a lounger. 

• Like 1

Forgive me if this was answered previously, but has the trace amount of diesel fuel in the drinking water story been either verified or debunked? I have read some comments from posters saying it's fake news, I've also read some stories online that seem to indicate some was found or found in the past.  If so has it been completely rectified? I have not gone through this whole thread but has Princess put out an official statement confirming or denying?  I would think Princess would want to say especially if it is fake news that they're aware of internet stories claiming this but to put it to rest if it is definitively false. This is just one of a few I've read, I realize it's 5 days old and I'm specifically asking about the diesel issue. Thanks.

https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/the-sun-princess-does-not-leave-for-civitavecchia/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffT237 said:

Forgive me if this was answered previously, but has the trace amount of diesel fuel in the drinking water story been either verified or debunked? I have read some comments from posters saying it's fake news, I've also read some stories online that seem to indicate some was found or found in the past.  If so has it been completely rectified? I have not gone through this whole thread but has Princess put out an official statement confirming or denying?  I would think Princess would want to say especially if it is fake news that they're aware of internet stories claiming this but to put it to rest if it is definitively false. This is just one of a few I've read, I realize it's 5 days old and I'm specifically asking about the diesel issue. Thanks.

https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/the-sun-princess-does-not-leave-for-civitavecchia/

From what I have seen there was a report about a trace of diesel found in 1 of the fresh water tanks. The builder stated that the problem was not a current issue, that had been corrected before turnover.

Keep in mind a poor first cruise with the potential for venues closed or not operating correctly, work ongoing during the cruise, etc. would tend to have far more long term negative impact with a new ship, than canceling a cruise or two and have the first cruise go well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

My question was how to identify the Reserve Collection mini-suites. But I guess I figured that out now, I would have needed to book C1 or C2. Not CA.

Oh 😨

From the deck plans, C1 are the ones located on the actual cabana deck, C2 are regular minisuite balcony but you have access to the deck.  All on Deck 9

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

From the deck plans, C1 are the ones located on the actual cabana deck, C2 are regular minisuite balcony but you have access to the deck.  All on Deck 9

Yeah. I am on deck 12 now. No Reserve Collection gadgets, but at least free views. And I can see the cabana deck from above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We also booked a Reserve Cabana Mini Suite, but deliberatly not one of those with an open end on the cabana deck. These are numbers 9239 to 9321 and 9238 to 9320. The benefit is that you walk out of the veranda or terrace to the cabana deck with the hot pool. The downside is the view is obstructed by fellow passengers and loungers and you can barely see the ocean from your veranda. We booked cabin 9329 which ends at the side of the ship, giving us unobstructed views directly on the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We're sailing in an S9 Signature Suite, departure on 4 January 2025 (so lots of time to read reviews and get tips from all you wonderful people who are sailing before us 😊) and I am now available to reserve dining in the Signature dining room for Suite guests.

I can choose day, time and table size (private or shared).  There's an option to make a standing reservation for all nights of the cruise, which gives an error message, bit I AM able to make single night reservations.

We're used to the Luminae Suite experience on Celebrity (this will be our first Princess cruise) and in Luminae, you do not need to make prior reservations for dinner, but it seems on Sun Princess reservations in the suite dining room will be if not required, then at least optional.

Screenshot_20240219-210647.png

Edited by [g]cruiserke
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2024 at 7:32 AM, Fuge said:

She has received the response she deserved, you defend companies as if they paid you when they fail to fulfill their services in an almost fraudulent way (canceling a cruise with 4 days left without giving any type of information with the pain that this causes to families and couples who have organized their vacations well in advance), you are people without any empathy.

Reread my response.  I never defended what Princess did at all.  Other cruise companies have been late with delivery of ships as well as venues and shows.  Princess is guilty of this with the delay of Love by Britto and Spellbound.

Educated cruisers should be aware that stuff happens and they run the risk of missing out on being on an inaugural because of unforeseen circumstances.  This fact, combined with the ship being a new class of ship means that it'll take a while for the crew to get acclimated.  These factors are why you should never book a sailing within the first few months.  Those who do have to do it with blinders off.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, [g]cruiserke said:

We're sailing in an S9 Signature Suite, departure on 4 January 2025 (so lots of time to read reviews and get tips from all you wonderful people who are sailing before us 😊) and I am now available to reserve dining in the Signature dining room for Suite guests.

I can choose day, time and table size (private or shared).  There's an option to make a standing reservation for all nights of the cruise, which gives an error message, bit I AM able to make single night reservations.

We're used to the Luminae Suite experience on Celebrity (this will be our first Princess cruise) and in Luminae, you do not need to make prior reservations for dinner, but it seems on Sun Princess reservations in the suite dining room will be if not required, then at least optional.

Screenshot_20240219-210647.png

Good to know. Can you also book one of the speciality restaurants, e.g. Crown Grill?

As of today I can only select the Reserve restaurant under Reserve dining. I cannot select a day or hour, it says:’You’re always welcome and don’t need to make a reservation.’ Would this mean that the Reserve Restaurant has more than enough places for the small number of Reserve guests and the Signature restaurant is more intimate but with  not enough places to serve all suite guests at the same time? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Meldrum said:

Good to know. Can you also book one of the speciality restaurants, e.g. Crown Grill?

As of today I can only select the Reserve restaurant under Reserve dining. I cannot select a day or hour, it says:’You’re always welcome and don’t need to make a reservation.’ Would this mean that the Reserve Restaurant has more than enough places for the small number of Reserve guests and the Signature restaurant is more intimate but with  not enough places to serve all suite guests at the same time? 

No, reservations for the specialty restaurants are grayed out.

Strangely, I CAN book a table in the Reserve restaurant, which isn't supposed to be our designated dining room.  I went all the way through the booking process and the app confirmed my table.

I cancelled the table afterwards, as I wouldn't want to claim a table from someone who needs it 😊

Screenshot_20240219-213759.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meldrum said:

We also booked a Reserve Cabana Mini Suite, but deliberatly not one of those with an open end on the cabana deck. These are numbers 9239 to 9321 and 9238 to 9320. The benefit is that you walk out of the veranda or terrace to the cabana deck with the hot pool. The downside is the view is obstructed by fellow passengers and loungers and you can barely see the ocean from your veranda. We booked cabin 9329 which ends at the side of the ship, giving us unobstructed views directly on the ocean.

So is there any access to the rest of the ship from outside your cabana or is your cabin door the only way in or out?

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Does each cabin have their own lounge chair area or is it shared? If shared, it may be hard to find a lounger. 

It’s hard to say for certain (hence the anticipation for more pictures and video beyond the renderings and limited views posted thus far) but the pictures show two things. In the room layout, it looks like they are relaxing chairs with an ottoman/foot rest. 
IMG_0374.thumb.jpeg.f3a4e2a4ba5df4e7bfc27bd2fe7f984e.jpeg

And another view of the cabana deck makes it look like the rooms have actual loungers. 
IMG_0375.thumb.jpeg.182639e220512109e7b0c94a8ed47d25.jpeg

** Screenshots taken from Britsonaship — the best source for all things Sun that I have seen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

So is there any access to the rest of the ship from outside your cabana or is your cabin door the only way in or out?

Only one entrance, yes. The cabana is the area between the bedroom and the veranda or terrace. I’m not sure if it will be a veranda (with roof) or a terrace, an open area without roof. This is not clear to see on the room layout. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Meldrum said:

Only one entrance, yes. The cabana is the area between the bedroom and the veranda or terrace. I’m not sure if it will be a veranda (with roof) or a terrace, an open area without roof. This is not clear to see on the room layout. 

So many questions … Feb 28. 🤞🏽If all goes well, we will start getting answers on Feb 28. Cannot wait. 

• Like 4