NCL Ship time vs Port time

macfam5

On the cruises I’ve done so far the ship has sync’d to local port time but apparently it’s up to the captain. The freestyle daily will specify it each day and there should be a card left in your stateroom the night before any time changes. 

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

The time changes when you get to Puerto Vallarta.  Everything stays on ship time.  It can be confusing!

In 30+ years of cruising on NCL and dozens of cruises I can only remember two or three instances when the ship's time was not adjusted to match local port time, so no, everything does not stay on "ship time" .

Carnival tends to not adjust to local port time but other cruise lines generally do.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

In 30+ years of cruising on NCL and dozens of cruises I can only remember two or three instances when the ship's time was not adjusted to match local port time, so no, everything does not stay on "ship time" .

Carnival tends to not adjust to local port time but other cruise lines generally do.

Everything ALWAYS stays on ship time but ship time and port time may not be the same. 

Just now, zqvol said:

Everything ALWAYS stays on ship time but ship time and port time may not be the same. 

The term "ship time" is generally used to mean the local time in the ship's home port, and NCL and most other cruise lines do not stay on "ship time'' as defined this way, but adjust to match local port of call time in almost all instances.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

It did on the Bliss the day we were in Puerto Vallarta, which is what I said.

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

It did on the Bliss the day we were in Puerto Vallarta, which is what I said.

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

666D60DB-1946-4648-BBDF-C7825539B20A.thumb.jpeg.13d5cdfc4867e6da60f13dd4a635eabc.jpegDespite horseman’s insistence, here is the Freestyle Daily from Puerto Vallarta.  Ship’s time and port time are different.

I said  I've had it happen two or three times. How is that insisting it doesn't happen ? 

1 hour ago, macfam5 said:

Thank you, I seem to recall one of the Mexican ports was different than ship times. This time our first port is Cabo so local time should be the same as ship time for that port 

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

That’s correct.  It’s just PV where ship time and port time differ on this itinerary.  Have a wonderful cruise!

In four NCL cruises I've taken that called on Puerto Vallarta not one had ship time differ from port time, but as I stated I have been on two or three NCL cruises where this was done in at least one port.

Just because it differed on one particular cruise does not guarantee  it will differ on any subsequent cruises.  

How time changes are handled is at the discretion of the ship's master. It also would not surprise me if the general manager provides input to the captain as to whether the ship should follow local time.

On 12/18/2022 at 2:39 PM, macfam5 said:

We are going on the Mexican Riveria cruise in February.

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me if NCL ship time is the same as port time in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta & Mazatlan ?
TIA  

No company-wide policy, AFAIK, which is super confusing and annoying. On the Getaway ship time always matched local time. On the Escape we changed ship time to local time on the way out, but not on the way back until we were in FL, which was so unnecessarily confusing for the port of call in between (especially re: SHOREX with assigned time).

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the sign posted at the Shore Excursion desk on the Jewel last week.  Every time I’ve been to PV on an NCL ship (Star, Jewel, Blissx2 and Gem) we have stayed on ship’s time so PV is one hour ahead.

FFE6D1B5-C9A0-4F43-A12E-676F5A657F59.jpeg

6 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Here is the sign posted at the Shore Excursion desk on the Jewel last week.  Every time I’ve been to PV on an NCL ship (Star, Jewel, Blissx2 and Gem) we have stayed on ship’s time so PV is one hour ahead.

FFE6D1B5-C9A0-4F43-A12E-676F5A657F59.jpeg

This☝️

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 5:46 PM, YVRteacher said:

666D60DB-1946-4648-BBDF-C7825539B20A.thumb.jpeg.13d5cdfc4867e6da60f13dd4a635eabc.jpegDespite horseman’s insistence, here is the Freestyle Daily from Puerto Vallarta.  Ship’s time and port time are different.

Can't read it. 

So any recent data? I am trying to book an excursion for April 6 th and the ship Jewel is due in port at 8 am and the excursion begins at 9 at a nearby marina ( not a ship excursion)

Edited by ISLABONITA

Just adding that PV can sometimes be a slow port for disembarking.  

Have you contacted your excursion provider?  You want information about whether or not you will make your tour time.  Contact the tour provider.

Edited by YVRteacher