Voyager and 1st time in a GS. My pre holiday cruise

jean87510

This cruise has been the result of a long forgotten Cape Air credit from November 2020 SJU to St. Croix following an Enchantment of the Seas trip.  Back in the Spring, husband got an email about the credit that had to be used by December 31, 2022.  Well, we looked about and decided to do the 5 day Voyager December 18-23.  Then go to Culebra for a few days.  Unfortunately, a couple of months ago, our airbnb canceled on us.  Every place we looked at had crappy reviews.  We finally decided to head to St. Thomas post cruise.

Fast forward to yesterday.  We flew in SJU from PHL non stop.  We debated doing an activity pre cruise then settled on just hanging at the hotel.  We stayed at the courtyard Marriott Isla Verde.  Now anyone who's seen My Cousin Vinny, and remembers how he couldn't sleep, you will understand what I will discuss.  I heard planes all night.  It was actually comical.  I couldn't find my ear plugs and was cursing much like Vinny did.  Other than that, room was really nice, pool was great.  Only issue is the no see ums on the beach which I hate so we avoided.  

I went for a run outside this am then finished on the treadmill.  Woke husband up around 9 and after poking around, downloading maps, setting up go pro, we headed to the port via UBER.  And this is where I loved the Royal Up.  We originally went from 1688, to a suite gty, to 8th floor JS, then bid $200 extra for a GS.  The line at the port at 1130 was ridiculous as everyone wanted to get onboard at the same time.  I just strutted to the front of the line past many envious eyes and flashed my set sail pass on my phone.  It was an Oscar red carpet moment.  😁

We headed to the Windjammer which no one was at.  I love salads and protein on my first day so I just ate that.  We went by the pool and camped out with others to watch the world cup.  Loved the result!!  

Our rooms were done by 1 so I ran our backpacks down and to grab our room keys.  All I can say is WOW!!  When you travel in non suites, its a shocker.

20221218_141728.jpg

20221218_141745.jpg

• Like 5

Great day for Philadelphia sports fans.  Eagles won and Dallas lost. 😁  My last cruise on the Allure, I had the Phillies going to the World Series so I was happy until I got home.  😭.  We are being very casual this cruise as we truly want to relax so we are foregoing all specialty and MDR.  Unfortunately, we also forgot the suite lounge evening dress code as well as the Diamond Club so we are going to attempt in shorts and t shirts.  

This cruise has a lot of family reunions.  Everyone so far is having fun and laughing.  We are currently in the Tavern Bar enjoying hand crafted Margheritas.  Pretty damn good!!  And watching replay of World cup with a few families.  

We do have to sign for our drinks as Diamond.  I did not see the amount of drinks at the bottom.  Drinks are $14 and under for Diamond.  

20221218_181215.jpg

• Like 4

So glad you are posting. I have not seen much on voyager since doing southern Caribbean. I will be on it March 5th. I have not been on the smaller ships like this. Can you please tell me what entertainment is playing at night?  I am used to all oasis class has to offer. Have a great time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJ257 said:

No see ums love me ! Grand Suites are nice. Enjoy the trip.

Me too. And gosh, they are miserable bites. Last time were in San Juan, we walked down to the Pueblo supermarket. And I had bites just from walking on the sidewalk with grass on either side. 

Day 2 early am.  Last night we ate at Windjammer.  Food was ok.  Not much of good variety on salads.  Yeah I know.  First world problems.  I love salads and like a lot of variety of pastas, artichoke, greek...  I manage to put something together.  One thing that was surprising to me was the amount of people there at 715pm.  I would have thought most people go to MDR.  Another small thing my husband was slightly irritated about was the no self service at the ice cream.  Lines were always long for the one machine we saw.  

We decided to head to the show as the outdoor movie we had seen.  We are Neanderthals as we just don't like the production shows.  But this act involved circus like acts. Gold Art duo.  We loved it as did our audience.  No one left.  Cruise director was there to introduce himself.  He shared that there are over 700 kids onboard.  Maybe the reason no self service ice cream?

Since I never saw any pictures of suite lounge, here you go.  Wifi is great in here.  Was dreadful in our cabin but oh well.  Husband has to do meetings 3 days this week in the evenings and is already searching spots.  He's hoping to use island towers or something.  I said yeah ok...😀

20221219_052845.jpg

20221219_052851.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

Me too. And gosh, they are miserable bites. Last time were in San Juan, we walked down to the Pueblo supermarket. And I had bites just from walking on the sidewalk with grass on either side. 

husband has a few bites as he wouldn't walk in the water when we walked on the beach.  I hate them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, renza said:

So glad you are posting. I have not seen much on voyager since doing southern Caribbean. I will be on it March 5th. I have not been on the smaller ships like this. Can you please tell me what entertainment is playing at night?  I am used to all oasis class has to offer. Have a great time.  

Last night was a couple from the Ukraine doing circus/acrobatics plus magic/comedy.  Really good.  Outdoor movies all week.

• Like 1

Still can't believe I started my workout at 545am.  By the time I finished, at 645, every cardio equipment was taken!  Gym was open early so I took advantage.  Able to stream White Lotus finale  (!!!!!)  during my run.  Now doing the Suite breakfast at Chops.  Looking out on I believe Water Island in St. T.

20221219_073844.jpg

20221219_073849.jpg

20221219_073933.jpg

• Like 1

Day 2.  On your own kayak rental VI Ecotours, St. Thomas.  We met our prearranged taxi driver at Tickles Restaurant in Crown Bay.  We then made our way via open air cab to VI ecotours to pick up our kayak.  This was a self explore of Cas Cay and mangroves.  They provided life jackets and offered lockers.  We were then told no fins in the mangroves.  Ok.  We have our own masks so we thought no big deal.  We were then warned of bad rip tides and protruding sticks and rocks on cas cay.  Hmmm.  We set out in kayak and made our way through the scary mangroves, the terrible rip tides, and washed ashore at cas cay.  No, seriously, this was really easy.  We started to hike around and must have missed those sticks and rocks.  We observed a couple of tours.  We then went to go in to snorkel.  No!!!  No one swims or paddles here without life jacket!!!  We wanted to be respectful even though we were rolling our eyes so we donned the life jackets.  It was not good.  I don't like them and avoid any snorkeling tour that makes me put one on.  Not a vest.  A life jacket.  We gave up.  

Because we had already hiked all over Cas Cay and didn't feel like snorkeling, we just returned the kayak.  Personally, this was nice but not something for all day.  A 1 and done. We made our way back to the ship and now going through the pictures.

20221219_134046.jpg

20221219_101841.jpg

20221219_102630.jpg

20221219_102350.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Really looking forward to the rest of this and hearing your thoughts...we're on the 9 day Voyager in January.  Glad to hear the gym is open early, that's my early-riser time as well!

Yes, and try to get there early for cardio equipment.  They were all occupied by 615am.  Only thing I was annoyed at were the elementary school age kids on the equipment.  If I was waiting, I think I'd tell the parent hey, this REALLY isn't for their benefit but for you so you can work out.🤨  It was about 3 kids.  At 645am.  🙄

• Like 1

Early am Day 3.  Last night we just went to the Windjammer which actually was much better.  I guese they are reading my posts.  😀  We didn't really Feel the Broadway production shows so walked around a bit, grabbed 3 and 4 of our diamond drinks (2 Coke zeros for the fridge) then back to the cabin for husband to finish work emails and phone calls which unfortunately have to be done on vacation. After that we decided to watch a movie we downloaded, Just Friends, which always makes us laugh and does sort of have Christmas in it.  

Wifi has been pretty good.  Really good in the Suite Lounge and the gym.

This ships layout is a little odd as everything activity wise is Aft except solarium.

20221218_122153.jpg

We were on the Voyager for 21 days in August/September, B2B, Baltic and Arctic TA , great ports 

We were on the Voyager in 2010 and I think just about nothing change 

They took away the forward lounge which missed on the Arctic cruise

The biggest problem was lack of staff and supplies and the ship needs a major renovation 

Hopefully they corrected the staffing problems on your cruise 

4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We were on the Voyager for 21 days in August/September, B2B, Baltic and Arctic TA , great ports 

We were on the Voyager in 2010 and I think just about nothing change 

They took away the forward lounge which missed on the Arctic cruise

The biggest problem was lack of staff and supplies and the ship needs a major renovation 

Hopefully they corrected the staffing problems on your cruise 

It seems ok so far.  Its a port intensive cruise so no sea days.  We are just hanging in the Windjammer for meals so have no idea if staffing off as its ok there just really crowded with giant families making that their meeting spot. 

14 hours ago, jean87510 said:

My first time with a doorbell.  We have a lot of kids running around while parents get ready for formal night.  I hear giggling then ding dong.  So I'm getting ding dong ditched on a cruise ship!

We had the same thing on Harmony in an OS couple of months ago.   Feral children running amok all night long, giggling, laughing, and running hard down the hallways... they rang the doorbell all hours of the night. 

We had it disconnected.  Finally able to sleep at night.  

Enjoying your review and pictures.  We are on Voyager (first time for us on that ship) for B2B2B starting 1/29.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

We had the same thing on Harmony in an OS couple of months ago.   Feral children running amok all night long, giggling, laughing, and running hard down the hallways... they rang the doorbell all hours of the night. 

We had it disconnected.  Finally able to sleep at night.  

I have no idea why anyone really needs a doorbell but it would be nice if there was a switch in the cabin to disable it. A call to guest services, a look at the passageway camera, and then a talk with the parents would help curtail this stuff too.

• Like 1