Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

12 minutes ago, 60s Wombat said:

That would be a pity.  I'm enjoying a number of the Neptune's WC blogs including Floater69.  Different people have differing perspectives - doesn't mean any of 'em are wrong!. It's surely up to the reader to pick the bones out of all. I skip on by a number of blogs that concentrate on things that have no personal interest to me, such as the more golf centric ones, but appreciate that all the writers will have taken time and trouble to share their views and that their posts may be of great interest to others.    

Well there is good everywhere. Why not focus on the good. I think we have many cesspool areas in the States. I am aware of those areas; however, I, personally, would rather focus on the good areas. As for Chochin, the Synagogue we visited was really interesting. Why not focus on that? 

20230329_113157.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mstadleraz said:

@Floater69 if you do not have anything positive to say. I recommend you do not comment. I rarely criticize another but it seems you only post negative comments. Why not just post positive comments?

If cruise"critic" becomes nothing but positive comments, then it is useless to future cruisers looking for honest reviews. Otherwise people are misleading readers and future cruisers about the whole experience.

Look, Viking is my favorite cruise line, but they are not my children , and like a parent am blind to problems.

• Like 5

If cruise"critic" becomes nothing but positive comments, then it is useless to future cruisers looking for honest reviews. Otherwise people are misleading readers and future cruisers about the whole experience.

Look, Viking is my favorite cruise line, but they are not my children , and like a parent am blind to problems.

• Like 1

In two world cruises we have been to lots and lots of third world dumps.  Incredible filth.  Overrun with peoople.  No one seemingly ever picks up any trash.  Drive through miles of hovels to see a fabulous temple.  The reality of the world is our worst places don't come close to the rest of the world's worst places.  Travel is what it is.   You will see lots of unpleasant things to go along with the wonders of the world.

• Like 18

Biggest regret from our WC was that we did not do the optional trip to Tah Mahal.  We thought we would enjoy what else was in India.  I did like Goa and  in Mumbaithe Elephant Island and Gandhi's home.

India was sad for me...

It is so interesting to see all these places! Some you like and can’t wait to visit again, some you are happy to have seen, and even more happy that you never have to return to again! For me India is the latter. I certainly hope I will never return 😅 Well, that is after we leave Mumbai of course! Still have 3 days left in India! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Floater69 said:

Cochin, India was a major disappointment. Veritable cesspool of trash/litter everywhere, even covering the beaches where we visited the "fresh" seafood market. The stench was unbearable. Fish covered in flies. Shrimp in a tub with no ice....just amazing.

I'm surprised you weren't aware of these conditions prior to arrival in port, clearly you didn't do much research prior to booking a World Cruise. Many parts of the World are similar, which may even include some areas of your own country.

Before the days of GPS, just ask any navigator how to find a port in India and some other countries on the same continent - head out onto the bridge wing and stick your nose in the air!!!

Personally, I travel to experience these differences and are accepting of them. They may be different to what we experience, but who says your experiences are correct and they are wrong. With a population of over a billion people, clearly those conditions work for them. If you can't accept these differences, why did you book an expensive cruise to these areas?

• Like 11

My saddest ones seen have been Haiti, Panama and Cuba.  I felt so sorry for those people and even though there were some beautiful sights to be seen......getting to them was as you said, passing through some very depressing areas.  I work with a lady that is married to a Cuban and the things she has told me about the conditions her husband endured are heart breaking.  He is now a US citizen and thinks this is the greatest country in the world.  

We travel the world to gain perspectives on different regions which enables us to to appreciate what we have back home. We wish to hear the whole truth and nothing but the truth, blatant as it may be. Negative or positive comments and anything else others wish to contribute to this forum. To do otherwise, would diminish the value of this forum. 🌏

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Camden lady said:

My saddest ones seen have been Haiti, Panama and Cuba.

I agree about Panama, especially Colon.  On our WC the saddest we saw were Mozambique and Dakar.  On our excursion through Dakar it seemed every man, woman, child, and beast was starving.  I got back, walked into the World Cafe and it’s abundance, and burst into tears.  My husband and English friends just kept telling me I couldn’t change everything alone.  Just pick something you can work to change and do that tiny thing.  I guess that’s reason enough to go on a WC and see things you don’t normally see.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I agree about Panama, especially Colon.  On our WC the saddest we saw were Mozambique and Dakar.  On our excursion through Dakar it seemed every man, woman, child, and beast was starving.  I got back, walked into the World Cafe and it’s abundance, and burst into tears.  My husband and English friends just kept telling me I couldn’t change everything alone.  Just pick something you can work to change and do that tiny thing.  I guess that’s reason enough to go on a WC and see things you don’t normally see.  

I can relate to your Colon experience, as this was my very first foreign port, way back in 1975.

We stopped in Colon for bunkers before heading through the Canal. Prior to arrival, we were advised to go ashore in groups of at least 6 cadets. When my group cleared the port gates, we spotted a couple of locals on a balcony across the street staring at us. One was playing with a gun and the other sharpening a knife. Since our police aren't armed, this was our first experience seeing a gun.

We did an about-face, returning to the ship. Never gone ashore again in Colon.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

In two world cruises we have been to lots and lots of third world dumps.  Incredible filth.  Overrun with peoople.  No one seemingly ever picks up any trash.  Drive through miles of hovels to see a fabulous temple.  The reality of the world is our worst places don't come close to the rest of the world's worst places.  Travel is what it is.   You will see lots of unpleasant things to go along with the wonders of the world.

This is the difference between expecting to "go on vacation" versus "travel." Both are legitimate, but can be very different experiences. 

Edited by Moonlion
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, deec said:

Biggest regret from our WC was that we did not do the optional trip to Tah Mahal.  We thought we would enjoy what else was in India.  I did like Goa and  in Mumbaithe Elephant Island and Gandhi's home.

India was sad for me...

We spent three weeks on our own in India in 1987. It was quite a place! Our memories of the country are vivid to this day.

Fortunately we were able to see the Taj. In fact, we loved it so much that we visited twice (both times traveling from Delhi). A picture of the fabulous mausoleum hangs in our living room. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, BobCatter said:

We have left our house unattended for over a month, with a trusted family member keeping an eye on the place and checking our mail, etc. 

What do we need to do to leave for 6 months? Or what are you doing while you are on this adventure?

For context, we are in the north Dallas suburbs.

Weather during Dec-May can be an occasional deep freeze/ice and/or tornadoes/high winds/hail.

We live in a nice area, but not gated. We know our neighbors and they know us. What other precautions can we take? For our trips we always have timers on the lights, we have Ring security cams and alarms. And the afore-mentioned family member.

Or we could sell the house. I guess. 🙂

We are in North Dallas as well. Happy to chat about this directly. You definitely want someone checking on the house, given the propensity for freezing pipes.

-Becky

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:12 PM, BeckySt said:

actually this isn’t to make up for Santa Barbara. They’ve canceled the stop in Kauai, and that’s why we are staying an extra day in Honolulu. I’m happy for another day in Honolulu, but super bummed to miss Kauai. 

We will be on Neptune 23-24 WC & considering a Cochin-Delhi/Taj Mahal-Mumbai excursion. Most interested to hear from anyone on this cruise who did this.Thanks

wc2324 at outlook dot com

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

I am just starting to read these blogs in preparation for WC starting in LA January of 24. What are these magnetic hooks and how do you use them?

Look them up on Amazon. They come in different sizes that hold different weights. They are magnetic and stick to the walls of the Ocean ships. Great for hanging name badge/card by the door(if you put it in a lanyard), hats, purses, etc. or use them to fix the daily schedule to the wall or maps, etc, We took 8 and used all of them on a 29 days cruise.

24 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Look them up on Amazon. They come in different sizes that hold different weights. They are magnetic and stick to the walls of the Ocean ships. Great for hanging name badge/card by the door(if you put it in a lanyard), hats, purses, etc. or use them to fix the daily schedule to the wall or maps, etc, We took 8 and used all of them on a 29 days cruise.

Just be careful of which ones you buy.  The first ones claimed to hold 25 lbs or so, but didn't.  We returned them and got some better ones.  There is also some question whether they are accepted for shipment in LuggageDirect.  We may just put them in our luggage we bring ourselves.  Many people have also highly recommended a hanging shoe bag with multiple pockets.  I believe people hang them on the outside of the bathroom door and they are also convenient for neatly storing many smaller items.

We have used the mag hooks but prefer the Command Adhesive hooks.  Stick to just about any surface where mag hooks only work where there is steel under the wall covering.  Hold a lot and easily removable.   Cost about the same and no issues with shipping.

• Like 2