Large J inside cabin to H obstructed view upgrade?

I discovered today that my TA hadn't booked my cabin with the no upgrade option for our October 2023 Grand South America cruise..  We had cabin J 2619 booked.  It's a large inside cabin with 210 square feet, midship near the stairs and one floor down from the promenade deck.  We were given an "upgrade" to an H cabin.  No specific cabin.  These seem to be on the promenade deck where passengers walk past your window and are obstructed views.  They are also only 184 square feet.  I don't see how this would be an upgrade.  We were not asked to make a change.  I noticed when I looked on my Mariner account at my bookings to my surprise to see that my booked cabin had gone missing and only the H remained.  I called and asked HAL to get my original cabin back and was told it's not possible.  It's already been booked.  I can be on a waitlist for my original cabin.  I'm surprised that it's becoming so difficult to spend $25,000 on a cruise and get what you've paid for.

Which ship are you talking about? If it's the Zaandam or Volendam, 2619 is my favorite cabin on the ship. I would be furious if I were 'upgraded', especially to an obstructed 'H' category cabin. No 'upgrade' in my opinion, but a decided downgrade. 

I would insist that my TA get my cabin back. If it has been rebooked, then the TA should suggest to HAL that the new party be 'upgraded' and you be given your cabin back. 
Failing that, then perhaps the TA will pay the difference to give you a true upgrade to a cabin of your choice. There is nothing comparable until you get to the balcony cabin level.
The agent's error should be the agent's problem to solve. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Which ship are you talking about? If it's the Zaandam or Volendam, 2619 is my favorite cabin on the ship. I would be furious if I were 'upgraded', especially to an obstructed 'H' category cabin. No 'upgrade in my opinion, but a decided downgrade. 

I would insist that my TA get my cabin back. If it has been rebooked, then the TA should suggest to HAL that the new party be 'upgraded' and you be given your cabin back. 
Failing that, then perhaps the TA will pay the difference to give you a true upgrade to a cabin of your choice. There is nothing comparable until you get to the balcony cabin level.
The agent's error should be the agent's problem to solve. 

The ship is the Zaandam.

• Thanks 1

You probably know this already, but there are several C category cabins available on your sailing that are directly across from the cabin that was taken from you. I suspect if you are very specific and ask for C2617, C2621, etc.. , explaining that this would work for you since it is on the same deck in a similar area, I believe you would greatly increase the odds of being assigned the ocean view that is acceptable. In this case, I would consider the ocean view an upgrade (but I know that some people prefer the insides). Just trying to make a suggestion. I hope it all works out for you. This is a lovely itinerary. 

image.png.db36431931b1687a451a4c5048005296.png

• Like 1

Sadly, this is on your TA.   That’s why we always have ours marked no upgrades.   Your TA should have informed you and asked you when you booked.   I hope they can make it right if that didn’t happen.  

Personally,  I much prefer being able to look outside.  Hope you have a good cruise.  

• Like 3

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I would be furious, but that wouldn't help anything. I wonder if there is something in their contract that would allow them to change your cabin without your authorization. There probably is, to cover their butts. I wouldn't want to be in a cabin that I didn't  like for a long cruise. A week would be okay, maybe, but not in your situation. I wish you good luck getting satisfaction. 

4 hours ago, woodinville cruisers said:

HAL isn't offering us anything but a different J cabin.  We've asked for a specific ocean view cabin that is similar in size but have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday when management is back in the office to approve it.  We'll see.  It doesn't sound promising.

If HAL won't upgrade the people in 'your' cabin, and won't give you the outside you want, then I would be 'suggesting strongly' that the TA pay for the outside cabin. 

I hope you get some decent satisfaction, since you have lost a great cabin through no fault of your own. 

1 hour ago, woodinville cruisers said:

I just noticed another component to this whole ordeal.  The price for a J cabin has come down $500 pp since we booked.  Since they moved us to an H we wouldn't be able to reduce our fare.  Kinda sneaky isn't it?

Might as well ask. Or use it as a bargaining chip towards the cost of that outside cabin you have your eye on. 

2 hours ago, woodinville cruisers said:

I just noticed another component to this whole ordeal.  The price for a J cabin has come down $500 pp since we booked.  Since they moved us to an H we wouldn't be able to reduce our fare.  Kinda sneaky isn't it?

What outside cabin are you requesting? I can't believe they denied you C2617 or C2621. 

Also, are you past final payment? Is cancel/rebooking a viable option to save money and get a cabin you are more comfortable with? I can understand wanting J2619, but I'd move to another J cabin to save $500.

• Like 1