Australia Visas

Apple888888

1 hour ago, zukecruiser said:

Will be cruising Australia/New Zealand in Oct 2023 on Princess.  Appreciate the information on Visa's in the above posts, will help the application process.  Is there a link to the New Zealand visa app?

Here you are - NZeTA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After much difficulty and too much money, we have our Australian and New Zealand visas--I think.  I printed out the paper version.  Is that enough.  I can't seem to access our visa on the Aus. ETA app: it just says enter your passcode.  I don't have and don't think I ever had a passcode.

I haven't downloaded New Zealand app.  Do I need it?  As stated, I have paper copies of each.  Hope that is sufficient.

We just applied the ETA's today and received the approval for both AU and NZ.

Seeing many recent reports about issues with NZeTA app, and smooth process with AustralianETA app, sharing our experience below:

NZeTA:

The first few occurances, it took a long time (>15 min each) trying to recognize passport data after scanned.  We then quitted and rescanned, repeat.  Perhaps after 3rd or 4th attempts, it all of a sudden worked and allowed us to continue and finished the application.  17 NZD application fee plus 35 NZD international visitor conservation and tourism levy, a total of 52 NZD per person.  Receipt and visa were emailed immediately after.

The biggest obstacle I had (with small eyes!) was taking own picture - open eyes, open both eyes, open both eyes, relax face, do not smile,...😳

AustralianETA:

The first time when the app is open, one needs to input a passcode of own choice, then confirm the passcode as prompted.  The process and questions are very similar to NZeTA.  Payment to iVISA service is 20 AUD per person.  Receipt and Visa were emailed immediately after. 

The biggest obstacle for both of us is scanning the passport:  keep passport straight, keep data in frame, avoid glare, repeat, ...  What frustrating is if any of the recognized data is incorrect (and there are), unlike NZeTA,  AustralianETA does not allow one to make correction and rescan is required.  Keep passport straight, keep data in frame, avoid glare, repeat,...

Bottom line is, both apps are currently working - taking the two us about 3 hours total from start.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcpelly said:

We sail out of sydney and are spending a couple days there pre cruise. We debark in Aukland and will be flying out the same day.  I know we need the Australia visa but would we need a NZ visa if not staying?

Yes you will need the NZeTA as you are entering the country. You will find a link for the NZeTA further up this thread.

• Like 1

Australian ETA question:  I applied last year for a trip this past January.  My expiration date is 23 Oct 23.  I am returning to SYD, leaving the US on 23 Oct 23, arriving SYD on the 25 Oct.  I know I need to apply for a new ETA.  Is there a problem with applying before the previous visa expires?  I searched the Australian govt site, and couldn't find any info about overlapping visas or other time constraints. 

1 hour ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Australian ETA question:  I applied last year for a trip this past January.  My expiration date is 23 Oct 23.  I am returning to SYD, leaving the US on 23 Oct 23, arriving SYD on the 25 Oct.  I know I need to apply for a new ETA.  Is there a problem with applying before the previous visa expires?  I searched the Australian govt site, and couldn't find any info about overlapping visas or other time constraints. 

Yes you can apply for a new ETA before you travel and you will have to as you can only apply before you arrive here.  All it will do it reduce the length of your current one as it will expire once a new ETA is issued. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes you can apply for a new ETA before you travel and you will have to as you can only apply before you arrive here.  All it will do it reduce the length of your current one as it will expire once a new ETA is issued. 

Thank you.  That makes sense.  It's like renewing a passport before it expires, which replaces the old one.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yarramar said:

Apply for the new one NOW as there is a possibility that it is flagged for manual processing and may take some time to be approved. Best done before making any non-refundable bookings.

If this reply was directed at me, I'll wait a bit since my travel isn't until October.  I think waiting until late August to early September should be fine.  Please define "may take some time to be approved".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

If this reply was directed at me, I'll wait a bit since my travel isn't until October.  I think waiting until late August to early September should be fine.  Please define "may take some time to be approved".

The majority of ETA's are approved instantly but there is always the possibility of a mistake occurring or a random selection for manual processing. There are numerous threads on the Trip Advisor Australia forums with people panicking that they are about to travel and have not yet received a visa. One example: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k13820209-o120-ETA_concern-Australia.html

They are valid for a year before travel and the 90 days does not start until you arrive.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 4:36 AM, Windsurfboy said:

Yes , it's a very simple processes to apply online takes 15 minutes to fill in form , once you have registered again simple.  Took under an hour in total to do two of us. We got email in return in 10 minutes, which we printed out. Just Google Australia e-visa 

There are so many websites to choose from that hackers even make fake government websites official-looking.  Do you have the URL link?  We’re going on a South Pacific cruise in October that ends in Sydney.  If I don’t find one in this thread I’ll be posting for website recommendations.  Thank you.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:53 AM, Medicalley said:

Don't use a website that requires you to pay. It's free via Australian government website. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder

That’s exactly what I was looking for - a trusted website recommendation!  Thank you so much!  That certainly dropped my stress level.  😁

On 1/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, Torquer said:

When we got our visa about 6 weeks ago, I spent a couple hours researching this.  The cheapest option I found was using the ETA app on our phone and it did cost 20 AUD service charge for each person.  Although it is too late for us, if someone has found a way to get a visa totally free, please post detailed instructions.  BTW, if I remember in the ETA app it is not until the very end until it tells you there is a 20 AUD charge.  So if you just go into the app, you might think it is free, but it is really not.

Thank you.  I only have a passport and have never been to a destination that requires a VISA.

On 1/7/2023 at 5:38 PM, DogLover said:

Of course! We've travelled to Australia several times for both cruise & non-cruise travel. Please let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Because our cruise ends in Sydney, Australia, when I looked at the website, we’re applying for the transit VISA with a stay no longer than 72 hours.  Is this correct?

On 1/11/2023 at 3:01 PM, chubbypiggy said:

Found the app.  Just completed the process and received confirmation email that we will be notified within 72 if our visas will be issued.

Do we need to upload a photo when applying?

On 1/25/2023 at 9:49 AM, zukecruiser said:

Will be cruising Australia/New Zealand in Oct 2023 on Princess.  Appreciate the information on Visa's in the above posts, will help the application process.  Is there a link to the New Zealand visa app?

I didn’t think NZ required a VISA?

On 1/25/2023 at 11:21 AM, possum52 said:

Here you are - NZeTA

Someone told me we didn’t need a VISA.  So thanks for posting.  Apparently we don’t need a VISA, but we need an eTA approval.  So thank you.

1 hour ago, iuki said:

I gather it should be done on cell phones instead of the computer?

eVisa applications for Australia have to be done through the official app which is available through your mobile phone store - this is how the app will appear.

Icon image

2 hours ago, iuki said:

Because our cruise ends in Sydney, Australia, when I looked at the website, we’re applying for the transit VISA with a stay no longer than 72 hours.  Is this correct?

No, you have to apply for the Australian ETA.

• Like 1