Australia Visas

Apple888888

We both have an iPhone 14 Pro.  We downloaded the Australia’s ETA app.  Our phones will not scan our passport photo page nor is it able to read the NFC chip on the back page of the passport.

We need help.  Is there anyone out there that can advise us how to apply for Australia’s VISA?

I haven’t tried the New Zealand one yet.

We have an Apple computer.  If the iPhones don’t work, then what?  Can we use the Apple computer.  I am so frustrated.

22 hours ago, iuki said:

Because our cruise ends in Sydney, Australia, when I looked at the website, we’re applying for the transit VISA with a stay no longer than 72 hours.  Is this correct?

No, that is not correct. What you need is an Australian Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) only available through downloading their app on a smartphone. Ensure that your passport has a chip, and that you've allowed your phone access through that App to NFC reader. I believe the process for New Zealand is similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogLover said:

No, that is not correct. What you need is an Australian Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) only available through downloading their app on a smartphone. Ensure that your passport has a chip, and that you've allowed your phone access through that App to NFC reader. I believe the process for New Zealand is similar. 

The iPhone 14 Pro doesn’t have the NFC reader.  However RCI gave my niece a different website.  So I’ll try that tomorrow.  My cell phone does not play nice with the Australia ETA app.

10 hours ago, iuki said:

The iPhone 14 Pro doesn’t have the NFC reader.  However RCI gave my niece a different website.  So I’ll try that tomorrow.  My cell phone does not play nice with the Australia ETA app.

really? I have an iPhone 13 (not even a Pro) and it worked just fine for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iuki said:

We both have an iPhone 14 Pro.  We downloaded the Australia’s ETA app.  Our phones will not scan our passport photo page nor is it able to read the NFC chip on the back page of the passport.

We need help.  Is there anyone out there that can advise us how to apply for Australia’s VISA?

I haven’t tried the New Zealand one yet.

We have an Apple computer.  If the iPhones don’t work, then what?  Can we use the Apple computer.  I am so frustrated.

Just keep trying.  When I did mine, I had to give up after several tries, and try again on another day.  When I did my son's it worked the first time.  The app is very finicky, and will eventually work.  There is not another way to get the Australia Visa.  The NZ eTA is a breeze for whatever reason.  Just different technology I guess.  You cannot do it on the computer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Just keep trying.  When I did mine, I had to give up after several tries, and try again on another day.  When I did my son's it worked the first time.  The app is very finicky, and will eventually work.  There is not another way to get the Australia Visa.  The NZ eTA is a breeze for whatever reason.  Just different technology I guess.  You cannot do it on the computer.

perhaps timing helps. I downloaded the app at 9:15am ET this morning (Friday here so it's Saturday and 1:15am at the time) and by 9:34am ET I had my approval from Australia. I immediately did NZ next and had the approval on that at 9:42am. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Thank you.  That’s good to know.  My passport is the new one that the photo page has a plastic-type material.  I thought it might be that.  My husband and I renewed ours at the same time, but his is like the older version which will eventually be eliminated.  I prefer the older version.  I’ll try doing his first.  Your response gives me hope.  Yesterday I tried for several hours and started to panic.

Mahalo

Judy

58 minutes ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

perhaps timing helps. I downloaded the app at 9:15am ET this morning (Friday here so it's Saturday and 1:15am at the time) and by 9:34am ET I had my approval from Australia. I immediately did NZ next and had the approval on that at 9:42am. 

Great suggestion.  Mahalo.

Judy

UPDATE:  I did it!  Lisabucsfan1 - You gave me hope and I finally was able to scan my passport.  I kept trying and it didn’t work.  So my husband suggested I turn on the phone flashlight.  Guess what, it must have removed the glare - I don’t know, but it worked.  I was able to do both!  And we have already been approved.  

However, we did the NZeTA online.  Now I know why the app only had a one-star rating.  The more I googled, the more people suggested doing it online.  Although I did my husband’s application first, his is still pending and mine has already been approved. 

Everyone thanks for your help and patience.

Judy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Will be in Australia/NZ with Princess on Oct/Nov 2023.  How soon before the cruise should each visa application be completed?  Some countries have time guidelines as to when you can apply for the visa.

Reviewing the posts so far have been helpful.

4 hours ago, zukecruiser said:

Will be in Australia/NZ with Princess on Oct/Nov 2023.  How soon before the cruise should each visa application be completed?  Some countries have time guidelines as to when you can apply for the visa.

Reviewing the posts so far have been helpful.

If you are planning on coming to Australia only once in the next twelve months you can apply for it now. The Australian ETA is for a twelve month period from when it is approved and you can visit as many times as you want to for a maximum length of three months per visit. Just give yourself enough time in case there is a holdup. Australian ETA

The ETA has to be applied for using the official government app which is available on your mobile (cell) phone's app store. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, xeriod said:

I understand that at the end of the application that there is a $20 cost. Do they ask for a credit card number or do you have to use something like Google pay ? Thanks 

Credit card I believe or a Visa/Mastercard debit card. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 3:21 PM, possum52 said:

Here you are - NZeTA

We re cruising to Australia and New Zealand in October 2023.  Used the AUeta app today and got our AUeta with a few minutes.  It was so easy.  Went to do the eta for New Zealand and all day have received an "unexpected error occurred - try again".  Is this something that happens a lot with the NZeta app.  App is on an iPhone.  I do see that you can also use your computer  to process the NZeta with a few extra dollars for not using the app.  

Are there any problems using your computer if the app "error" doesn't correct itself.  Any idea on how you scan your passport if using the computer.  Any tips would be appreciated.

55 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

We re cruising to Australia and New Zealand in October 2023.  Used the AUeta app today and got our AUeta with a few minutes.  It was so easy.  Went to do the eta for New Zealand and all day have received an "unexpected error occurred - try again".  Is this something that happens a lot with the NZeta app.  App is on an iPhone.  I do see that you can also use your computer  to process the NZeta with a few extra dollars for not using the app.  

Are there any problems using your computer if the app "error" doesn't correct itself.  Any idea on how you scan your passport if using the computer.  Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm sorry, I haven't had to use the NZeTA app - perhaps contact them on this email address - info@newzealand-visas.org

On 5/8/2023 at 11:52 PM, ilovesparky13 said:

Yes, it will ask for a picture. 

Clarification please. You say 'Ask for Picture', from the instructions it seems the App takes a picture. i.e. not take a picture and then upload.

23 hours ago, ilovesparky13 said:

Clarify what? They’re the same thing. 

Well there is a difference between the App using the camera to take a photo while applying, versus taking a photo beforehand and uploading it. If it is the latter then there is an extra step before starting the App.

41 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Well there is a difference between the App using the camera to take a photo while applying, versus taking a photo beforehand and uploading it. If it is the latter then there is an extra step before starting the App.

From the instructions on the this link- How to apply for an ETA

After you have downloaded and opened the app on your mobile device, you need to:

scan your passport to pre-fill your name, date of birth, passport number and other details
take a photo of yourself
answer some questions, including whether you have any criminal convictions, any prior names and contact details in Australia
pay the service fee
submit the application.

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

You are arguing over semantics. Get a grip. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

What address do you use for contact information in Australia?

I also have this question.  I will be arriving in Sydney and have a 1 night reservation there.  I plan to spend the next week traveling to Cairns and/or Yulara. Should I put the first night in Sydney or simply say that I don’t know?