Australia Visas

Apple888888

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

What address do you use for contact information in Australia?

9 minutes ago, Free2bMeForever said:

I also have this question.  I will be arriving in Sydney and have a 1 night reservation there.  I plan to spend the next week traveling to Cairns and/or Yulara. Should I put the first night in Sydney or simply say that I don’t know?

Put the hotel address for the first night stay as your contact.  If they have questions, have your future stay info on hand (cruise ship, other hotels).  I have flown in a few times to 
Australia, each time for a cruise, and I have used the hotel info for the first night (or two), and have not had a problem yet.

• Thanks 2

On 7/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, Tedferg said:

Clarification please. You say 'Ask for Picture', from the instructions it seems the App takes a picture. i.e. not take a picture and then upload.

It is more than semantics. The Australia app takes the picture “automatically” when you get everything positioned correctly. For us, the app opened the camera in selfie mode. It took me a while to get everything positioned correctly for my photo. A real PITA. DW is short and she couldn’t get the camera far enough away from her face. Fortunately i could change the camera and take the photo for her. 
I had similar problems, as well as glare issues positioning things to scan in info page of the passports. 
Once I took the phone case off, there wasn’t a problem reading the chip. I also discovered that both the phone and case needed a good cleaning. 
One last suggestion, use a credit card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees when paying. 

12 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

It is more than semantics. The Australia app takes the picture “automatically” when you get everything positioned correctly. For us, the app opened the camera in selfie mode. It took me a while to get everything positioned correctly for my photo. A real PITA. DW is short and she couldn’t get the camera far enough away from her face. Fortunately i could change the camera and take the photo for her. 
I had similar problems, as well as glare issues positioning things to scan in info page of the passports. 
Once I took the phone case off, there wasn’t a problem reading the chip. I also discovered that both the phone and case needed a good cleaning. 
One last suggestion, use a credit card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees when paying. 

Thank you - for one thing I could not just take a photo of DW when she comes in from gardening 🙂 So need more preparation.

Did ours today for the October/November Princess cruise. Son was the tech guy and did everything using the App. Got the Australia ETA soon after the application for all three of us. My NZ application was pending but husband and son's got approved soon after. I finally got the approval email back a few hours later. All set! 

• Like 1

If this has been said or answered before I apologize 

Our transpacific cruise is ending in Sydney.  However we will be staying 2 nights until we fly home.  

from what I read on the AU site and through the app, we would qualify for a 72 hour transit visa at no cost.  Has anyone else used this option.? Is this correct?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 4:41 AM, hazmat1 said:

If this has been said or answered before I apologize 

Our transpacific cruise is ending in Sydney.  However we will be staying 2 nights until we fly home.  

from what I read on the AU site and through the app, we would qualify for a 72 hour transit visa at no cost.  Has anyone else used this option.? Is this correct?  

No you require a proper tourist visa. In this finder on the govt website just select tourism then cruise and go from there. 
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder

The transit visa is for people actually in transit - ie those who remain in the airport between flights. 
Or for crew on ships 
Select this option if you need to pass through Australia on your way to another country or need to pass through Australia to join a ship as a member of the crew but will be in Australia for up to 72 hours. If you are going to stay in Australia for longer than 72 hours, you cannot get a Transit visa and you will need to select another option. You may not require a visa if you enter Australia by aircraft hold a confirmed onward booking to leave Australia to travel to a third country on the same or another aircraft within 8 hours of arrival in Australia, hold documentation necessary to enter the country of destination and not need to leave the airport transit lounge except to continue your journey.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 5:47 PM, possum52 said:

Which visa did you apply for? The ETA can only be applied for using the Australian Govt app and there is a servce fee of $20.

Yes it is the correct visa as long as all the criteria applies to you. You have to download the app as per instructed on the webpage. 

Possum52...question....a Florida newspaper ran an article yesterday stating a New Australian regulation for those over 75 visiting Australia.  Article said a mandatory xray and physical by one of their approved doctors (very few around).  Have you heard anything about this? 

41 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Possum52...question....a Florida newspaper ran an article yesterday stating a New Australian regulation for those over 75 visiting Australia.  Article said a mandatory xray and physical by one of their approved doctors (very few around).  Have you heard anything about this? 

Sorry, I only know as much as has been written on the thread you started. Do you have a link to the article? Did you have to have an ImmiAccount to do your ETA? If so, log in and see what it says.

On 1/1/2023 at 5:47 PM, possum52 said:

Which visa did you apply for? The ETA can only be applied for using the Australian Govt app and there is a servce fee of $20.

Yes it is the correct visa as long as all the criteria applies to you. You have to download the app as per instructed on the webpage. 

It was in The Palm Beach Post, which I think is a Florida   newspaper.  It read BOYNTON AREA COUPLE'S TRAVEL NIGHTMARE....THANKS TO AUSTRALIA 'S NEW RULE.   my guess is the couple appled for the wrong visa and then went crying to the paper.....and the paper didn't bother to check the facts.

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sorry, I only know as much as has been written on the thread you started. Do you have a link to the article? Did you have to have an ImmiAccount to do your ETA? If so, log in and see what it says.

Here's a link I found that doesn't have a paywall:

https://hawaiinews.online/boynton-area-couples-travel-nightmare-thanks-to-australias-new-rule/

I had no idea that was a thing, but it is of note for future travel.  I do have to wonder why Australia wouldn't require sufficient travel insurance to help offset any health care costs for those over 75.  I understand that health care may be a limited resource for residents, and visitors could impact that, but something to fund that issue could work.  I would like to see the statistics on how many over 75 visitors need health care on their trips based on the year.

6 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Here's a link I found that doesn't have a paywall:

https://hawaiinews.online/boynton-area-couples-travel-nightmare-thanks-to-australias-new-rule/

I had no idea that was a thing, but it is of note for future travel.  I do have to wonder why Australia wouldn't require sufficient travel insurance to help offset any health care costs for those over 75.  I understand that health care may be a limited resource for residents, and visitors could impact that, but something to fund that issue could work.  I would like to see the statistics on how many over 75 visitors need health care on their trips based on the year.

Thank you. These are just changes from July 1st to what was already in force. This is from the Australian Immigration website - Health Requirements

It would appear the people in the article didn't have an ETA but a 600 Visitor visa. 

As for travel insurance, that is an individual choice. I doubt many Australians travel overseas without travel insurance particularly in the older age group. There is a very active thread on this very topic on the Australia New Zealander Cruisers board. In saying that, there are posts on the same board from Americans saying they'll self insure, they have enough coverage with their private medical insurance etc. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The requirement is for specific subclass visas (including 600 - Visitor, but NOT 601 (Electronic Travel Authorization). The ETA application requires that the applicant meet certain conditions.  A couple of them are regarding health:  “free from tuberculosis” and “be free from any other health condition which might place the Australian community at risk or which is likely to result in significant health care costs to the Australian community.”  

While there does not seem to be a blanket requirement to provide proof of insurance, the website makes it clear that visa holders are “financially responsible for any health care debts” incurred while in Australia.  Quite frankly, anyone (regardless of age) should have adequate health insurance or the ability to self-insure. Unexpected health events happen to people of all ages.

We are on a cruise from Sydney beginning Jan. 2024. I understand there is a new medical reqirement for visitors to Australia passed in July, for thouse  over 75 years of age. We are planning to stay in Sydney 3 days before the cruise. I looked at the website regarding obtaining an ETA visa, which can only be obtained via the ETA app.  I read an newspaper article in the Palm Beach Post (we are from FL), where a  coupe had to obtain a medical exam and a chest x-ray from an Australian certifed doctor. There are only two in Florida. The couple had to travel to Miami airport to get the medical exam, which cost them $400 each. This seems absurd. Here is the website I looked at, but it is unclear if we need a medical exam, as we are over 75 years of age. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/. Does anyone have any direct experience with this subject? 

On 9/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, Mrs f. said:

It was in The Palm Beach Post, which I think is a Florida   newspaper.  It read BOYNTON AREA COUPLE'S TRAVEL NIGHTMARE....THANKS TO AUSTRALIA 'S NEW RULE.   my guess is the couple appled for the wrong visa and then went crying to the paper.....and the paper didn't bother to check the facts.

Hi, I read the same story. I contacted the Palm Beach Post, and sent an email to the writer of the story. (Michel Dimond) he replyed to my email and said his reserach was correct, even for an ETA visas. But I looked at this website https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/ and its really unclear if someone over 75 years of age require a medical exam for an ETA visa. I contaced our cruise company (Oceania) and I'm waiting to hear back from their visa department. 

Edited by FLtravler319

17 minutes ago, FLtravler319 said:

Hi, I read the same story. I contacted the Palm Beach Post, and sent an email to the writer of the story. (Michel Dimond) he replyed to my email and said his reserach was correct, even for an ETA visas. But I looked at this website https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/ and its really unclear if someone over 75 years of age require a medical exam for an ETA visa. I contaced our cruise company (Oceania) and I'm waiting to hear back from their visa department. 

The story likely reflects the experience of somebody (or a couple) who applied for a 600 Visitor Visa (medical check required for over 75s) rather than the 601 eTA Visitor Visa which has no such age/health requirement.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FLtravler319 said:

Should be Australia ETA 601 visa.

And people on cc are saying that they have recently gotten their visas with no medical and are over 75.   

Edited by Mrs f.

4 hours ago, FLtravler319 said:

hould be Australia ETA 601 visa.

And people on cc are saying that they have recently gotten their visas with no medical and are over 75.   

Thanks, I belive you can only apply for the ETA 601 visa thru an app on you phone. 

The two links below will help you obtain your ETA. The first link is an overall view of the ETA and the second will take you through eligibility and how to apply.  There are video links on the first page that will help you with the application. The ETA app is available in your phone's app store in both iphone and android.

ETA

How to get your ETA

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:02 PM, CPT Trips said:

I was able to take my photo but struggled with taking my husband's in selfie mode. Then I remembered this post about your switching the mode to take the photo. Problem solved. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, lolo11 said:

I was able to take my photo but struggled with taking my husband's in selfie mode. Then I remembered this post about your switching the mode to take the photo. Problem solved. Thanks. 

Glad it helped. Enjoy your trip. 

On the Tripadvisor Australia forums, a traveller from US asked what they could do as they accidentally uploaded the wife's photo on the husbands application. The ETA was granted regardless and the consensus was to let sleeping dogs lie. Immigration will compare your face to your passport, the ETA is embedded in the passport as a yes or no.

I will arrive in Sydney on December 7 and will leave December 8 on a 15-day cruise to Australia and then on to New Zealand.  Departure from my final Australian port is on December 11.  My current Australian visa expires December 10.  The conditions of the visa requires an entry before the expiration date for a period of up to three months.  Since I am arriving before the expiration date and staying less than three months (arriving December 7 and departing December 11) I am thinking that I will not need to apply for a new visa even though the visa will expire (by one day) while I am still in Australia.  Any thoughts?  Is my understanding of the visa requirement sound correct?

67 Miner 

I really can't advise you, but I would think you will be okay without renewing your visa. We will be in Sydney for only 3 days, but we never had an Australian visa before. So we downloaded the ETA app to our phones, and completed the application.  It was relatively easy and our ETA visa was approved almost immediately.