Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

19 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Saw the same thing. People are dogpiling on that this is a great change. Literally cheering for cutbacks. 

Most people don’t eat at the Oceanview for dinner. If they do it may be once a sailing. So only a few will be impacted by the cutback. Certainly Celebrity has factored that in. I don’t eat there because the Celebrity buffet food had become pretty bad. It is only good at breakfast. Breakfast is pretty hard to ruin. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Most people don’t eat at the Oceanview for dinner. If they do it may be once a sailing. So only a few will be impacted by the cutback. Certainly Celebrity has factored that in. I don’t eat there because the Celebrity buffet food had become pretty bad. It is only good at breakfast. Breakfast is pretty hard to ruin. 

Have you been reading this thread?  A few people seem upset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You don't go and would not know.

Your guesses don't match my real life experiences.  

I regularly see a couple hundred people at the buffet. If even 10% of the guests go that is 250-300 people.  You only *think* this doesn't impact you. All these people will need a seat someplace else. Do you think they will all wait behind you, or that you will be waiting behind them? 

Honestly, I booked one of Celeb's new weekend itineraries because it fits my work schedule perfectly. I could do 24-48 of those per year and not run out of paid time off.  I love Key West. I love ocean views at relaxed dinner in the OVC without being 8 inches from the person next to me or being asked to give 10s on a survey. I like ordering a drink and it doesn't take 20 minutes to come. I appreciate that I can have a selection of high quality food / proteins that match my diet of avoiding carbs.  Now it's pizza, salad, and hot dogs. I don't sail any cruise line to eat like that for dinner. Sorry, this is a big disappointment to me, and I can explain it but I can't make you understand it. 

At least on a 3 night cruise shorts are allowed first night, last night, and I'll just brute force my way into the MDR in my shorts the middle night with a bit of cash in hand so I get served first instead of the rest of the crowded house forced there.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Here I am now, live, as we speak, in the same place as you, at the same time, thus proving we aren't the same person. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

All cutbacks are a bad thing. I don’t know though how people stand the crappy buffets. I can’t eat even take lunch in the Oceanview anymore. They used to be pretty good. They need to go back to the good buffets. Instead of cutting back the dinner lido service they should upgrade it. In all honesty I am  pretty much given up on Celebrity except for Bermuda sailings. Oceania or lines like it will get my bookings. The food and service is so much better. Food at their version of the lido is fresh and delicious. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

All cutbacks are a bad thing. I don’t know though how people stand the crappy buffets. I can’t eat even take lunch in the Oceanview anymore. They used to be pretty good. They need to go back to the good buffets. Instead of cutting back the dinner lido service they should upgrade it. In all honesty I am  pretty much given up on Celebrity except for Bermuda sailings. Oceania or lines like it will get my bookings. The food and service is so much better. Food at their version of the lido is fresh and delicious. 

I'll take quality over quantity.  I happened to think the dinner buffet was pretty good a few months ago on Equinox. There was less choice than lunch time, but a few items of higher quality. Nice to have several cook to order stations where servers will bring your food also.  

For example, I can get a variety of Greek and other international cheeses, I can get salami and prosciutto, take that to the pasta station and have it stir fried with garlic, pepper flakes, and meatballs; no pasta.  High protein, low carb, delicious variety of quality meats and cheeses.  

There is about zero chance of getting that in the MDR. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

You don't go and would not know.

Your guesses don't match my real life experiences.  

I regularly see a couple hundred people at the buffet. If even 10% of the guests go that is 250-300 people.  You only *think* this doesn't impact you. All these people will need a seat someplace else. Do you think they will all wait behind you, or that you will be waiting behind them? 

I agree 100%. There is a significant amount of people who choose the buffet. Those people will now be crowding into the MDR's. This change effects everyone.

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

For example, I can get a variety of Greek and other international cheeses, I can get salami and prosciutto, take that to the pasta station and have it stir fried with garlic, pepper flakes, and meatballs; no pasta.  High protein, low carb, delicious variety of quality meats and cheeses.  

The international cheeses and chartucturie and the indian food. Did they have an indian food station on Equinox? My theory was it was the indian food was good because of the indian  chefs.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree 100%. There is a significant amount of people who choose the buffet. Those people will now be crowding into the MDR's. This change effects everyone.

Crowded into an experience they were not seeking to be involved with, for whatever reason they have. 

• Like 1

Just now, Charles4515 said:

The international cheeses and chartucturie and the indian food. Did they have an indian food station on Equinox? My theory was it was the indian food was good because of the indian  chefs.  

Yes there is Indian food. That is usually very good also and easy to get proteins. I am getting more sensitive to the heavy sauces though. Indian food is almost universally excellent on cruise ships due to Indian and Southeast Asian kitchen crews are prevalent in the industry. 

I don't want to give them any ideas, but it is a pretty well known secret about Indian food on ships and always surprised they don't have an Indian specialty dining restaurant.  Oops. 

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If they have or do eliminate traditional dining they will turn over more tables and accomodate more passengers. 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

If they have or do eliminate traditional dining they will turn over more tables and accomodate more passengers. 

I think if they eliminate traditional dining more people are going to want to be in that 6:30-7:30 sweet spot.  If you have ALL anytime dining you (as the restaurant/hotel) have no real control over demand/wait times/service level at that point.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I thought I’d try the buffet for lunch on my next cruise as that seems to be the main attraction.  But it sounds like quality has gone down.  

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Which will effect anyone who desires traditional dining.

This change to OVCafe' effects everyone. There is no way around it.

• Like 1

so what happens when there is a late port day??? I hope they have more to offer at OVC as many will have missed their early dining times

We eat at OVC 3 nights out of 7 on every cruise. Just did a B2B on Reflection. Came out of MDR hungry on one night. The portions were so small and I am NOT a big eater.  When the menu says 2 veggies with the skimpy pork I expected more than  decorative smear of squash along with 2 small pieces of broccoli. We are plain food eaters and most MDR dishes come with sauces  and other things that DH won't eat and yes I know I can ask for without.

Just now, LMaxwell said:

Do you think there's a few hundred people that just aren't going to eat that night?  

It has not been proven that the other dining venues can't handle all the passengers. You all seem to think Celebrity has not thought it out. and the impact. You all sound hysterical. I think they have thought it out . That does not mean that it might not be a screw up. We have seen them screw up. If it is a big screw up they will change it. We have seen changes on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean that had to be rolled back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It has not been proven that the other dining venues can't handle all the passengers. You all seem to think Celebrity has not thought it out. and the impact. You all sound hysterical. I think they have thought it out . That does not mean that it might not be a screw up. We have seen them screw up. If it is a big screw up they will change it. We have seen changes on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean that had to be rolled back. 

I absolutely agree that Celebrity has thought this out. Never did I even remotely suggest otherwise. 

The industry is in a stranglehold financial position. Difficult cuts need to be made and I  suspect this won't be the end. 

And let me ask you this, let's say it proves to be a screw up. Where do you expect they will try the next cut? Better yet, where will they get the money to reverse some of the new changes? 

Because, without a single shred of doubt in my mind, cuts need to be made. And these cuts will effect every single cruiser. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The industry is in a stranglehold financial position. Difficult cuts need to be made and I  suspect this won't be the end

Bankrupcties and consolidation will solve the finncial problems. What else could?

The Fed is pushing the economy into recession. Amazon is lying off 18.000 workers, etc. The cost of borrowing is going up. Recession is not good for discretionary leisure spending.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Because, without a single shred of doubt in my mind, cuts need to be made. And these cuts will effect every single cruiser. 

I'd rather they just add $100-200 per person, per week to cover the incremental costs of supplying what they have always supplied.  I have many doubts that cuts need to be made.  Revenue needs to increase. You can't cut your way to profitability, you have to charge your way to it. I find never ending "upcharge" fees and Choose your own Adventure menus insulting on a cruise ship. I specifically book cruises to float off into la la land for a week. I stay off the internet. I love the week long fantasy resort feeling. When it turns into being like at home, it feels like being at home, and it doesn't work for me.  If I am paying $5000 for a fantasy week, just charge me $5200 or 5400 instead and look for ways to keep the service levels up. I'll pay it all included, I get annoyed at it constantly being shoved in my face. These are supposed to be huge ships that have something for everyone. I never asked for bare bones minimal service and amenities. I've moved on and up from budget lines who clearly want to deliver an experience down to a cost. This was like 1 step up, 2 steps back.  

If prices go up and quality remains at a high level or even improves, that's great value.  If prices stay equal and quality goes down, that's a bad move unless you can attract enough newbies.  If prices go up and quality goes down, you can kill a brand off in a couple quick years. 

P.S. What will the "Get out, go to the buffet" crowd yell now at us golf shorts and boat shoes wearers, because they sure got REAL QUIET this week. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Bankrupcties and consolidation will solve the finncial problems. What else could?

The Fed is pushing the economy into recession. Amazon is lying off 18.000 workers, etc. The cost of borrowing is going up. Recession is not good for discretionary leisure spending.

I think that the only way out for the big three is filing for reorganization. Far too much debt. Right now they’re just kicking the can down the road. I may be wrong but for the amount that they all owe, I don’t see any other way. Celebrity is becoming more mass market by the day. The line that separates them from RCI becomes thinner each day. 

• Like 1

We were just on Millennium and ate at Oceanview often. I always prefer sitting outside and eating. We were in a suite and Luminae was small and jammed. We don't need that exposure so, again, outside was great. We had late lunches and quite a few dinners there. There is a diversity of food which we appreciate. The Luminae menu is rather strange and in Oceanview,  the grilled fish from the grilled station and the roasted veggies were my dinner choice. I have read that that is one of the stations that are now closed for dinner along with the pasta bar, which was about the best pasta available on the ship.

Many times on a Caribbean itinerary I don't want to do anything but wear shorts and t shirt and hang out on the back of the ship and eat dinner. If there is a much reduced evening Oceanview combined with the new 9.95 room service charge,  then everyone will be crammed in the dining rooms. Everyone has always been, oh go to Oceanview if you don't want to dress up. welp, now what? Add to that the feeling that we are paying alot of money, having services reduced and already being hit up daily with people trying to get us to pay extra to have better food in specialty dining rooms. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

I think that the only way out for the big three is filing for reorganization. Far too much debt. Right now they’re just kicking the can down the road. I may be wrong but for the amount that they all owe, I don’t see any other way. Celebrity is becoming more mass market by the day. The line that separates them from RCI becomes thinner each day. 

It's a race to the bottom.

• Like 3