Shopping with the Chef

CLOU

Sorry, I hit enter before I had typed my post.  I started to say that I am really getting psyched for my cruise that leaves Saturday.  I used to cruise once or twice a year but this is my first cruise since the  pandemic hit.  Anyway, I am now posting a variety of questions.

This time, I was wondering if anyone knows if they are still doing shopping with the chef.  If so, has anyone had recent experience as to where they might go in the Caribbean.  Also, is it still just listed in the online Herald?  And, what time does the Herald become available for the following day?

Thanks for any info.

I have not seen SWTC offered since they restarted last year, including our Caribbean voyages last month and last year.  Hoping they bring it back.  

In terms of the Herald, not sure exactly when it’s available the night before but the cabin attendant would leave it during the evening service.  

In my experience, shopping with the chef is hit or miss in terms of availability for all guests.  It is announced rather spontaneously and all spots to join have been already filled each time I have received notice.  

We went shopping with the Chef in Honolulu on the Grand Pacific Voyage recently.  Here is the tuna he bought!  

We had some fruit delivered to our suite that night and a few days later a delicious lunch in the MDR with some of the fish and shellfish purchased at the market.  It was great.  

IMG20221011103850.jpg

• Like 4

I agree that it can be hit or miss.  In one cruise, the announcement was left out of the Herald, but we had been told about it, however only three of us showed up, so they were grabbing people walking near the meeting point and convincing them to join us.  On another cruise, I found out only because I asked the chef about it when I saw him in the dining room.  Once again, it never appeared in the Herald, but somehow the tour was full.  As it turned out, the chef had to take a tour with a marketing group, so a Thomas Keller representative who was on the ship to make sure that TK was being operated as required, took us on the shopping tour.  He was great.  We saw the chef at the open air market with the marketing group, photographers and a group of models posing as passengers because we, the actual passengers, weren't good looking enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 1/2/2023 at 2:45 AM, pyffii said:

Chef is Jess....Is he still with Seabourn ?

Loved Chef Jess! He left Seabourn several years ago and runs a restaurant now. I can't remember the town; somewhere in the UK, I believe.

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Loved Chef Jess! He left Seabourn several years ago and runs a restaurant now. I can't remember the town; somewhere in the UK, I believe.

The Ostrich Inn, Norfolk:

https://theostrichinnnorfolk.co.uk/about-us/

Previous SB hotel director Teresa Haughey was running this place along with SB sommelier Jo and chef Jess. According to her linked in profile, Teresa is currently working for Windstar.  The inn's website no longer features Jess, so my guess is that he's also left.

Edited by sfvoyage