Whats the point to the 21 day check-in?

Mikiejag

8 minutes ago, Mikiejag said:

I much preferred the old way and the check-in way out.  I just like to mark that as done...

Anyone know why they chose 21 days?

I agree, but I don't think anyone knows the rationale with certainty. 

I'd think the 21 days was initially a COVID consideration.  That was also when they started assigned check-in times.  Now that COVID is less of a Thing, I'm not sure of the necessity of the assigned times, especially when it isn't being enforced.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikiejag said:

Figured it was something like that.  It just bothers me for no real reason to have to wait until 3 weeks pre cruise to take photos and all that...lol

Curious on why it bothers you. When you check in for a flight, you can't do that until 24 hours before departure. The cruise line is trying to be fair to everyone.... those who book 2 years in advance and those who book 3 weeks in advance. 

I can understand the 'being fair' part for picking your boarding time, but not being able to enter my passport info and all that other jazz has no bearing on that.

The only reason that makes sense is so they can have the latest info for vaccinations/testing/etc for you to either click a link about or at least acknowledge that you were made aware (whether you actually read the info or not is another story). 

For flights, no, I can't complete my check in until 24 hrs, but I can certainly go in and add my TSA number, rewards number, emergency contact info, etc etc the moment I book my flight. I'll be happy if we can go back to putting in as much as possible as soon as we want.

• Like 3

Nowadays, the typical 5 to 7 nights cruise has a final payment / cancellation cutoff at 120 days +/- and since for most sailings, vaccination & rapid testing results are no longer required nor collected, aside from a verbal/quick tablet click away - allowing partial online check-in much earlier could - help - travelers that hasn't check their passport document's validity & expiration date, and get it promptly renewed.  Easier at 3 to 4 months as it's not an emergency or urgent travel, while uploading some of that data well in advance of travel ... most will probably panic should they did not notice and only realize at Day 22 or Day 21, oops 

NCL can  easily reset their parameters for cruisers to finish uploading most entries & fields, but hold it for final eDoc release at 21 days or 30 days out, i.e. someone doing a long B2B or B2B2B - and fully communicate changes, revised port requirements for visitors, and, perhaps, do away with the "unforeseen changes" in substituting port of calls as best as they can in a straight forward manner.  

Afterall, color luggage tags are selectively being mailed before 21 days, am I mistaken ... LOL. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I agree, but I don't think anyone knows the rationale with certainty. 

I'd think the 21 days was initially a COVID consideration.  That was also when they started assigned check-in times.  Now that COVID is less of a Thing, I'm not sure of the necessity of the assigned times, especially when it isn't being enforced.

It definitely started as a covid thing, although I seem to recall that boarding time was also there pre-covid.  And some ports do enforce it.

I suspect the 21 days is so they can update requirements if necessary.  They know they can't depend on people actually reading anything they print out after they've checked in, although there probably isn't any reason they couldn't allow some data entry early. Or go one step farther and keep your picture etc. so you don't have to do it each time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I can understand the 'being fair' part for picking your boarding time, but not being able to enter my passport info and all that other jazz has no bearing on that.

The only reason that makes sense is so they can have the latest info for vaccinations/testing/etc for you to either click a link about or at least acknowledge that you were made aware (whether you actually read the info or not is another story). 

For flights, no, I can't complete my check in until 24 hrs, but I can certainly go in and add my TSA number, rewards number, emergency contact info, etc etc the moment I book my flight. I'll be happy if we can go back to putting in as much as possible as soon as we want.

I agree with you 100%.  I would much rather input as much information before the 21 day mark.   This part has nothing to do with being "fair".

• Like 8

14 hours ago, julig22 said:

They know they can't depend on people actually reading anything they print out after they've checked in, although there probably isn't any reason they couldn't allow some data entry early. 

I'm trying to remember the process pre-pandemic.  I recall you could enter information as soon as you were booked, but I don't believe you could print your docs until some time before.  That would be fine; make me read the disclaimer, scroll to the bottom, check a box, and allow me to print/PDF my docs.

41 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I'm trying to remember the process pre-pandemic.  I recall you could enter information as soon as you were booked, but I don't believe you could print your docs until some time before.  That would be fine; make me read the disclaimer, scroll to the bottom, check a box, and allow me to print/PDF my docs.

That is the way I also remember it and hope they bring it back. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Curious on why it bothers you....

More like an annoyance, than a true bother.  I just like to cross everything off as soon as possible, I enjoyed the E-docs being done.  Just the little things.  LOL...On a scale of 1-10, it is a 2...lol

46 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I think it converted to being able to get in soon after the final payment.  Plus I think the room upgrades could process as soon as the final check in was done.

40 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Security and data storage. The check in has sensitive information, especially passports. The company limits liability when it comes to the storage of this data. Store it and then get rid of it. In most cases, it is less than 30 days on the servers. 

Now that is something to think about.  Makes more sense than just cause.  Although with as many breaches as I have been apart of passport is probably out there already...lol

• Haha 2

Just now, Mikiejag said:

Now that is something to think about.  Makes more sense than just cause.  Although with as many breaches as I have been apart of passport is probably out there already...lol

I don’t know if data is that important, but if a company has insurance to cover data breaches, minimizing the amount of data would reduce risk and lower premiums. 

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

You are correct, I believe that's how it worked.  But how often do you actually READ the disclaimer, which was my point.  By waiting until closer to your sail date they can include any recent updates.

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Security and data storage. The check in has sensitive information, especially passports. The company limits liability when it comes to the storage of this data. Store it and then get rid of it. In most cases, it is less than 30 days on the servers. 

In the past you could check in way earlier than 30 days.  Not 100% sure but I think I remember you could check in  as soon as you booked, although it could have been at final pay.

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You are correct, I believe that's how it worked.  But how often do you actually READ the disclaimer, which was my point.  By waiting until closer to your sail date they can include any recent updates.

But does it matter?  How many people actually read the T&Cs for anything?  Might as well just keep a copy on the website for people to ignore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phillygwm said:

But does it matter?  How many people actually read the T&Cs for anything?  Might as well just keep a copy on the website for people to ignore.

It could.They can put info on the page when you go to check in. Like the addition of pictures, muster videos.

Plus how many people checked in early, only to have info change later.

11 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I'm going to read the T&Cs very carefully and then cancel if I don't like what it has to says NO one EVER. 🤣

• Haha 1