Pit Grill and Smoke Master Class

sunexpress

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I can’t help you with that particular class (we took pasta master), but can advise you to look at the scheduling carefully.  Classes were on sea days on the Mardi Gras in September, but now held on port days as well. 

Ok thank-you!

1 hour ago, sunshower9 said:

My husband has done it.  I can ask him about it if there's anything particular you want to know.

Thank-you! I was just wondering what meat they used, and if they just had individual grills for each person? Sorry to sound so clueless, but just trying to envision how it is done on  a cruise ship 🙂

Edited by sunexpress

50 minutes ago, sunexpress said:

Thank-you! I was just wondering what meat they used, and if they just had individual grills for each person? Sorry to sound so clueless, but just trying to envision how it is done on  a cruise ship 🙂

He said he thinks it was brisket, but he could be remembering wrong.  And he said they didn't actually grill, but they used skillets.

Personally as someone that smokes food, I don't know how good this can be. What are they going to teach you in a class? To smoke, it is low and slow. Nothing cooks quickly. Fastest is maybe 3 hours. A brisket can take 14 hours. I would not pay for it, but if free may go to listen in. 

• Like 3

We did it on the MG. Each two person team was given a pork butt and all the ingredients to make a rub. Once done making the rub we slathered it on the butt. It was explained at the beginning of the class that we would not be actually smoking the butts, as it would take way too long. It was also explained that due to food safety rules our pork butts would not be used. We were then taken down to P&A where we had BBQ. It was a great class, and although we didn't get to eat what we made we learned alot. I highly recommend the cooking classes.

Edited by Greyhound Rescuer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Greyhound Rescuer said:

We did it on the MG. Each two person team was given a pork butt and all the ingredients to make a rub. Once done making the rub we slathered it on the butt. It was explained at the beginning of the class that we would not be actually smoking the butts, as it would take way too long. It was also explained that due to food safety rules our pork butts would not be used. We were then taken down to P&A where we had BBQ. It was a great class, and although we didn't get to eat what we made we learned alot. I highly recommend the cooking classes.

There is no way in the world I would pay for a class for something you could learn in 2 minutes on YouTube. Pork Butt is about the easiest thing in the world to smoke. Slather with mustard, season the heck out of it, smoke for 3 hours and sprits with choice of spray every hour. Foil, pour in some of the spritz liquid, and let it smoke until it hits 197. Let rest at least 30 minutes in closed cooler, then shred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justafem said:

Where are these listed?  Fairly new to carnival, but this looks like something I'd like to do. 

Listed under Specialty Restaurants. We are doing this one and Pasta on our Celebration cruise.  It may be something you can learn on YouTube and  whether you already know how or never have tried I think they would be fun.  I may do the cupcake one too because I struggle with piping.  

I have the pizza class and the cupcake class.

Pizza is so I can hopefully get the dough stretching right and the cupcake class is really just to learn piping techniques.

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

There is no way in the world I would pay for a class for something you could learn in 2 minutes on YouTube. Pork Butt is about the easiest thing in the world to smoke. Slather with mustard, season the heck out of it, smoke for 3 hours and sprits with choice of spray every hour. Foil, pour in some of the spritz liquid, and let it smoke until it hits 197. Let rest at least 30 minutes in closed cooler, then shred.

Can always learn. Great cooks influence each other and they ALL STEAL from each other. If you like to cook, you like to learn.

I am pissed I missed the Pasta class.

Edited by EngIceDave
brainfart

16 hours ago, Greyhound Rescuer said:

It was also explained that due to food safety rules our pork butts would not be used.

Rubbing stuff on a butt and just tossing it out seems like a waste - they could easily use fake butts.

That is where a cut back in needed

Edited by Sailin_Pirate

8 hours ago, WhiteOptima said:

Listed under Specialty Restaurants. We are doing this one and Pasta on our Celebration cruise.  It may be something you can learn on YouTube and  whether you already know how or never have tried I think they would be fun.  I may do the cupcake one too because I struggle with piping.  

Darn!  I have 5 carnival's booked and none of them have the classes.  Oh well, maybe I should book more!

• Haha 1