“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

Shark - I have been lurking in the background but would like to send out a big THANK YOU to you for sharing your journey with us.  I would love to do a world cruise but convincing my DH is another matter - so for now I am travelling vicariously through you.

Safe journey! 

Bev

Edited by jakes47
correction
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Soup tonight then. 

Speaking of….we frequently have a light lunch at the Patio - and a week or so ago, their lemongrass and corn soup was really good.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wifi has been so much better, per earlier (possibly excessive) reports.  Now this, tonight.  I sincerely hope all will go well, although, once things seem much bettter, well…..one of my fervent beliefs is, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.  We shall see.

A5FFB52E-6D05-400F-A4C0-4441F586B532.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, shark b8 said:

Speaking of….we frequently have a light lunch at the Patio - and a week or so ago, their lemongrass and corn soup was really good.

….and two nights later, the same soup was served in the MDR (this time, with bits of crabmeat), but with the upgrade to the more formal venue, this time, on the menu it wasn’t “soup” -  it was “potage”, doncha know.   🥱

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

….and two nights later, the same soup was served in the MDR (this time, with bits of crabmeat), but with the upgrade to the more formal venue, this time, on the menu it wasn’t “soup” -  it was “potage”, doncha know.   🥱

That's thick soup

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pro Tip - if you have an appetizer which includes pomegranate seeds (e.g. photo #1), don't accidentally squish them into a bite with a fork, as they may squirt and you’ll wear the consequences on your white collar.   🤬

(not to mention the nice white tablecloth)

ED0B2CEC-5161-411A-9FAF-DA1D2E67359E.thumb.jpeg.e8098695e973e0958e0c860e3e212f89.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, lincslady said:

But was it good?

Loved most of it……the chicken liver appetizer was great (and I have a red line I draw, between yummy liver-y things and way-too-liver-y things).  The second thing was quite nice, although Mrs Captain Sharkbait and I have yet to really “get” the truffle thing, not for want of trying over the decades.  The “palate cleanser” coconut/chocolate/cherry thing was cute and tiny and tasty, and did exactly what a palate cleanser is supposed to do, I guess.  The beef was quite good, although as it turns out, I’ve now had beef more times in the last week than usual, just turned out that way.  Tonight’s was 8-out-of-10, a night or two ago (also at the MDR) the sirloin was not at all good, maybe 2 or 3-10, but several nights before that, the rib eye at the TKG was, as always 10-10, and what I aspire to do at home.  Not to digress too personally, but I regularly buy an 18” tenderloin at Costco and I cut into 1½” or 2” thick slices. To me, the entire point of a steak is to best accentuate the two different flavors, super-hot grill to give a serious char on the outside, while still maintaining juicy medium-rare on the inside.  The TKG just happens to do it my way, your mileage may vary.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

For all those on the WC right through to Barcelona.... you are in for a treat!  

I am in sporadic contact with the Assistant CD and his wife from our Grand Pacific Voyage end of last year, and we had a quick catch up last night.  He is Ian, and married to Eva who has the most wonderful operatic voice.  Ian is probably the most talented musician and entertainer I have ever known on all our cruises over years.  Every now and again he would do a 'set' up in the Obs Bar on the piano after the show and the place would be rocking!  He also did his own show in the Grand Salon and there was hardly a seat to be had.

Anyway... he told me he is joining Sojourn at the end of March to finish up the WC, Bali to Barcelona and is very excited to be doing this.  I am so jealous, you are all so lucky!    If ever we were privileged enough to be on a cruise he was on in the future, we would be overjoyed!  

• Like 3

Mauzac we haven’t experienced Ian and his partner, but he sounds wonderful. Have often wondered if you were able to ascertain who was CD, particularly on the smaller ships if there would be a particular “following”. It would certainly tip our decision to jump in if we knew our favourites were on board. It can make such a different to the ship culture and vibe.

Loving your posts Shark b8. The Barron Falls are certainly magnificent. They are linked to a hydro system so the water releases are timed for the train etc. However, you were lucky enough to see them with a bit more water given the recent rains. This in no way is anything near their original power. Occasionally in flooding situations it comes close (but not fully). They were magnificent. Sky rail is a great experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BasandSyb said:

Mauzac we haven’t experienced Ian and his partner, but he sounds wonderful. Have often wondered if you were able to ascertain who was CD, particularly on the smaller ships if there would be a particular “following”. It would certainly tip our decision to jump in if we knew our favourites were on board. It can make such a different to the ship culture and vibe.

Loving your posts Shark b8. The Barron Falls are certainly magnificent. They are linked to a hydro system so the water releases are timed for the train etc. However, you were lucky enough to see them with a bit more water given the recent rains. This in no way is anything near their original power. Occasionally in flooding situations it comes close (but not fully). They were magnificent. Sky rail is a great experience.

Ian and his lovely wife were both Assistant CDs to John Barron.  What a team!  

To be honest, they all made our cruise.  And I agree with you, it is so important 😊

I am greatly enjoying Shark's posts too, in cold and grey England they brighten my day! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mauzac - Last blast of 30s+ summer here and we will be chasing it when we embark Odyssey in 17days in Sydney, so have been following the recent world and grand voyages with interest to whet the appetite. Can’t wait. Would be nice to know who our CD is.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Loved most of it……the chicken liver appetizer was great (and I have a red line I draw, between yummy liver-y things and way-too-liver-y things).  The second thing was quite nice, although Mrs Captain Sharkbait and I have yet to really “get” the truffle thing, not for want of trying over the decades.  The “palate cleanser” coconut/chocolate/cherry thing was cute and tiny and tasty, and did exactly what a palate cleanser is supposed to do, I guess.  The beef was quite good, although as it turns out, I’ve now had beef more times in the last week than usual, just turned out that way.  Tonight’s was 8-out-of-10, a night or two ago (also at the MDR) the sirloin was not at all good, maybe 2 or 3-10, but several nights before that, the rib eye at the TKG was, as always 10-10, and what I aspire to do at home.  Not to digress too personally, but I regularly buy an 18” tenderloin at Costco and I cut into 1½” or 2” thick slices. To me, the entire point of a steak is to best accentuate the two different flavors, super-hot grill to give a serious char on the outside, while still maintaining juicy medium-rare on the inside.  The TKG just happens to do it my way, your mileage may vary.

Aloha. The dinner looked great! Thank you for the food pictures. Yes…I am world famous for staining shirts, ties, pants, jackets…

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 5:33 AM, shark b8 said:

Lunch in Kuranda was “crocodile sausage”.  I will resist the urge to say, “tasted like chicken”.  But……

6A17D485-061E-4CE1-BB4C-3F0DDB831046.thumb.jpeg.e3fe7351880cba79dc497d16b40baabf.jpeg

Shark-if you happen to know, my friend, fiona, the lively British lady on board to celebrate her 60th, please tell her hello from Julie and happy birthday!

18 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Shark-if you happen to know, my friend, fiona, the lively British lady on board to celebrate her 60th, please tell her hello from Julie and happy birthday!

Don’t happen to know, I don’t think, but will keep it in mind

This time the seas didn’t prevent us from getting to Tangalooma on Moreton Island altogether (like last time) but the choppiness of the ocean did wipe out or parasailing adventure.  So first we snorkeled the famous Tangalooma wrecks.  We used “sea scooters”, a device that looks a little like mini torpedo - you hold it under your chest and turn it on, it propels you around, to make the whole thing that much more fun & easy.  We couldn’t take anything onto the boat out to the wrecks, including phone, so I will have to present a couple of random internet pix to give a sense of the experience.

The choppiness of the water churned everything up, so it wasn’t quite as clear as the pic below.

7150C493-7CE1-43C0-A19A-B93E9D8C8201.thumb.jpeg.91778e76eb121a5b3dd2df6fc27ef149.jpeg

DEFBBDBA-FA10-4467-8462-872FA2C735BF.thumb.jpeg.63f344ea45adabcf891d16039c997e2c.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 3