New TVs on Zaandam- They’re here

Cruise NH

17 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Hold up. I’ve only been on Westerdam and there was a stocked fridge. Do we need to rent one on Zaandam? Thanks 

On the Zaandam and Volendam, only cabins with a balcony have a mini-fridge. Inside and outside cabins do not have one, although one can be rented (for $2/day, last price I knew). 

The question in those cabins is where to put it, as there is no reserved space. Sometimes people want it in the kneehole for the desk, making it very difficult to sit and do make-up. Other times they have it on the desk, closer to the closets, leaving little flat space on the desk. 
Those are pretty much the only two choices for placement. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:18 AM, ShipsAreTheBest said:

It’s only the older ships that don’t have fridges in the cabins.  I think charging rent is a capacity control device in this case.  The electrical system on the older ships probably doesn’t have the capacity to handle a refrigerator in every room.  So, they limit the number out there by charging rent for them. If I don’t feel the need for one, I don’t rent one (and then that’s one less device plugged in on the ship).  On the other hand, with what is probably a limited number to rent, when they’re out they’re  out.  You may be disappointed in that case, but since they don’t have one to offer, you’re not charged for the amenity either.

I'm renting 1 for my upcoming cruise. It's only $2 a day.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:42 PM, shack said:

So how, exactly, did this string migrate from new Zaandam TV deployment to fridges?  They are different appliances people.  Different topics.  Number of plugs per cabin is also a different topic.

I can't believe there's a thread concerning television sets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My question is about Zaandam but not about TVs or refrigerators.  We will be staying in a Deck 3 Oceanview in April.  Both of us have cpap machines, plus hubby also has to use his oxygen concentrator that sits on the floor with his cpap.  That is 3 plug-in devices per night.  Think we can get an extension cord from the room steward?   

ALSO unrelated question:  How many Happy Hours per day -- times, where?  Whats the formula, BOGO 50% off?

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

On the Zaandam and Volendam, only cabins with a balcony have a mini-fridge. Inside and outside cabins do not have one, although one can be rented (for $2/day, last price I knew). 

The question in those cabins is where to put it, as there is no reserved space. Sometimes people want it in the kneehole for the desk, making it very difficult to sit and do make-up. Other times they have it on the desk, closer to the closets, leaving little flat space on the desk. 
Those are pretty much the only two choices for placement. 

Thank you; we have a veranda.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:24 AM, mcrcruiser said:

That is what is great about Club Orange on Pinnacle class  ships of the HAL fleet   ,the upgraded restaurant , priority tenders ,priority check in  ,,a special  line for customer relations on board  & mostly the cabin upgrade ,We can book into a VH handicap & get a V category Handicap  cabin  , We book early when the cruises first come out to get that extra on board credit  . Yo us there is real value in club Orange but yes just on Pinnacle class ships

The thing is we already get priority tenders, priority check-in, etc.  The only advantage of Club Orange, for us, would be the dining venue.  In our case we would likely never go to breakfast since we tend to grab a light breakfast around the time the Lido is getting ready to close.  So, the only benefit of Club Orange would be at dinner.   If HAL had a true dining experience (like Luminae on Celebrity) it would make some sense.  But not sure it is worth $50 per person/day for the Club Orange dining venue and we would seek advice here on CC.

The reality is that took us a few years (and over 500 days on HAL) to get some of the privileges that go with 5 Star.  Now, a first-time cruiser can book the cheapest cabin on the ship, pay an extra $50 a day, and get the same priority.  Some would say that when most folks get priority nobody is really advantaged.  I used to post about going on a Grand Cruise (Prinsendam) where nearly 80% of the passengers were 4 or 5*.   When we checked-in at Port Everglades, the priority line was quite long and the regular line was empty.  Although we were also entitled to use the priority line we simply ducked under the rope and got in the normal line and were immediately checked-in and soon on the ship.  Meanwhile, at least 150 folks were cooling their heels waiting in the "priority" line.  Such is life.

Hank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Here is the TV in the ocean view cabin. It fits on the same shelf as the old one. They still have to pair the remote to the TV, so all I get is static if I turn it on. Didn’t see any manual channel or volume buttons but there are USB ports on the side. 

827F07A9-6AAF-4AB5-B733-CB3EDE4E4367.jpeg

I always wondered what those shelves looked like when installed. Years ago I worked for a company that did a lot of the refit work for HAL. I think I probably made millwork components for much of the fleet back then. We would make the stuff here in Victoria and it would be shipped to wherever the ship was (usually the Bahamas) and between us and the primary contractor we would send a crew to install the products. Of course there were times when the ship was in our local graving dock and the installer just worked on it there. I was a shop guy so I never did any of the installing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

I can't believe there's a thread concerning television sets.

I can't believe there's a thread containing a post questioning the value of having a television set.  First, they are new on the ship.  And now, you can do most of the muster drill, see the weather forecast, ship location, outside cameras and more.  They are computer monitors...and yes you can watch tv in your room when you have covid 😉 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

My question is about Zaandam but not about TVs or refrigerators.  We will be staying in a Deck 3 Oceanview in April.  Both of us have cpap machines, plus hubby also has to use his oxygen concentrator that sits on the floor with his cpap.  That is 3 plug-in devices per night.  Think we can get an extension cord from the room steward?   

ALSO unrelated question:  How many Happy Hours per day -- times, where?  Whats the formula, BOGO 50% off?

Don't know about happy hours but I'm told you can get an extension cord from the steward.

On 1/7/2023 at 5:00 PM, shack said:

Giddyup!  Please post pix post-install and comment on interactivity - or lack thereof.  TIA.

I have been cruising since the early 1960's and I do not remember ever watching TV. I have always found something to keep me busy>