Turn Down Service Requests

New2cruise2022

21 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

From the horses mouth (obviously this is a single person but is the first firsthand information out there to my knowledge):

On embarkation day, we came in the room with the bunk bed down already. I talked to our cabin steward and he said that they were just told that no more turn down service. Not good because there is no room to move if the top bed is already out the entire day! So he just told us how to put it down. He said he will do the bed daily and put it up. So we were the only ones to pull it down every night.
The room stewards were given 10 extra rooms each with one cleaning daily. They told us it didn’t really help them now that there is no turndown service anymore.

In the end, this may end up doing the stewards a disservice. You can’t tip on services you don’t receive. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

The roll out starts with Epic as of the 1/8 embarkation cruise. This will not be fleet wide until the end of March.

So your cruise would 100% not have had this policy.

Does anyone know the roll out schedule?   I will be on the Escape in a few weeks and It's my first time with 3 people in a cabin.  

The discontinuation of turndown seems like a pretty sharp turn. It’s certainly a labor cut/cost saving measure, but it provides a very different level of service. If it wasn’t a different feel or change in service, it would have been discontinued for all categories, including the Haven. It devalues passage for all categories not receiving this service. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

very different level of service

I know people say Carnival had done this in the past but I would just say Carnival is a very very different brand than the other lines.

Nothing against Carnival its just not the style of vacation I would want now.

This change for sure means I am even less likely to ever get a standard room on NCL and for sure wouldn't put someone in a room that required the bed be pulled down or put away. When at WDW when I use murphy beds its fine because the rooms are massive in a 2BR but not the same in small balcony rooms on a cruise ship.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

I know people say Carnival had done this in the past but I would just say Carnival is a very very different brand than the other lines.

Nothing against Carnival its just not the style of vacation I would want now.

This change for sure means I am even less likely to ever get a standard room on NCL and for sure wouldn't put someone in a room that required the bed be pulled down or put away. When at WDW when I use murphy beds it’s fine because the rooms are massive in a 2BR but not the same in small balcony rooms on a cruise ship.

Very well articulated. When these ships were built, the contemplation for pullman beds included the assistance of a steward to manage theses additional beds. 

As an attorney, I’m surprised the NCL legal team hasn’t identified this change (keeping the beds down throughout the day and the possibility of passengers trying to pull down or put away the bed) as a liability and hazard moving forward. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

I'm not so sure Carnival is all that much different from NCL.  I prefer NCL because I prefer the -Away class ships, but that the hard product.  The rest of the experience, except the big theatre shows, is pretty much the same, in my experience.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

As an attorney, I’m surprised the NCL legal team hasn’t identified this change (keeping the beds down throughout the day and the possibility of passengers trying to pull down or put away the bed) as a liability and hazard moving forward. 

Being a foreign flagged vessel, perhaps the risk to NCL just isn't all that much to worry about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

The discontinuation of turndown seems like a pretty sharp turn. It’s certainly a labor cut/cost saving measure, but it provides a very different level of service. If it wasn’t a different feel or change in service, it would have been discontinued for all categories, including the Haven. It devalues passage for all categories not receiving this service. 

42 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Royal Caribbean started it. NCL followed. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Very well articulated. When these ships were built, the contemplation for pullman beds included the assistance of a steward to manage theses additional beds. 

The steward is suppose to leave the bed down. If you direct the steward to stow the bed, you assume liability if your actions causes injury to yourself. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The steward is suppose to leave the bed down. If you direct the steward to stow the bed, you assume liability if your actions causes injury to yourself. 

Legal assumptions aside, a non-stowed bed makes for a smaller feeling cabin.

As to increased risk of injury, even if NCL were clear of liability, injuries at sea are never welcome. 

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is what it is. Whether you want to be a sheep or a leader is certainly a business choice. 

NCL recently reduced service while at the same time increasing service costs. I think it is certainly a time to measure what is being offered to assess value. When my kids are fighting and one points to the other and says “He started it,” it does little to mitigate my frustration. NCL had an opportunity to find a different way to realize savings and continue to provide superior service and is choosing to do what Royal Caribbean and Carnival are doing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

NCL recently reduced service while at the same time increasing service costs. I think it is certainly a time to measure what is being offered to assess value.

It clearly is time to revisit value. Truth be told, we really don't even require the services of a stateroom steward or the excessive fees that come with him or her at this point. We are adults and can keep our stateroom tidy for seven or ten days just like we do at our condo rentals when we do land based vacations. We can invest one minute a day to make our beds each morning. We have the app for show schedules. The only thing we may require is a towel refresh mid week and would be pleased to provide a small gratuity for the towel exchange service. Don't call us; we'll call you approach. I like how this sounds. Plus, it is one less room that the overworked crew on NCL has to deal with.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Bingo but people around here will say "its in the cruise contract"

Well guess what people get sued for what in contracts and win all the time.

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I'm not so sure Carnival is all that much different from NCL.

Eh I dont thing they attract the same class of people and thats partly because Carnival is just cheaper. If NCL was just cheaper they would get those people.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For the 1 time a day service?

RCL is no better then. I just had not come across them cutting the service and not doing the bed put up and down for the couch/pullman.

100% wouldnt step foot on their ships then either unless multiple rooms or if they gave suites a 2 time a day service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

It clearly is time to revisit value. Truth be told, we really don't even require the services of a stateroom steward or the excessive fees that come with him or her at this point. We are adults and can keep our stateroom tidy for seven or ten days just like we do at our condo rentals when we do land based vacations. We can invest one minute a day to make our beds each morning. We have the app for show schedules. The only thing we may require is a towel refresh mid week and would be pleased to provide a small gratuity for the towel exchange service. Don't call us; we'll call you approach. I like how this sounds. Plus, it is one less room that the overworked crew on NCL has to deal with.

Don't sell me though on this cruise where everything is covered though. When I travel in hotels I put the DND on the door and don't want a knock the whole time. I am fine with that but then I expect the tips to be dropped and the service fees to be dropped.

• Like 5

By the way I know there was jokes about "why would someone remove their tips". Well having to take out or put up a bed in your room would be one of them. If you have to deal with that I don't fault people for removing a portion of the tips that NCL expects you to give.

Another reason NCL should pay a livable wage and we should stop the tip culture as a whole where consumers have to tip to pay someones wage.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We better remove all steak knives, those pools and hot tubs present a danger too.  

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

By the way I know there was jokes about "why would someone remove their tips". Well having to take out or put up a bed in your room would be one of them. If you have to deal with that I don't fault people for removing a portion of the tips that NCL expects you to give.

Another reason NCL should pay a livable wage and we should stop the tip culture as a whole where consumers have to tip to pay someones wage.

If NCL "paid a living wage" you...the passenger...would be the one actually paying it. Cruise fares would be increased to cover the wages paid by the cruise line.

100% gratuity, 100% salary or any combination thereof will be coming out of your pocket, not the cruise line's, just as it is now.

The ultimate consumer of any product or service is who pays for the product or service.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Shidah said:

We better remove all steak knives, those pools and hot tubs present a danger too.  

Lawsuits are precipitated by changes. Usually the type motivated by cost savings. Presumably your parents taught you how to use a knife and there are extensive regulations and disclaimers in place for pools and hot tubs because of attractive nuisance laws. But we can get you a butter knife at Cagneys if you don’t think you can handle it. 

If they were putting steak knives at the crafting table in the kids club on board, your point might be a valid parallel. If they removed all signage and changed all of the protocols for the pools and hot tubs, your blanket statement about liabilities might carry some weight. 

Just now, New2cruise2022 said:

I’m not against the worker. That is NCL. The worker is not my employee. The worker is NCLs. 

Sorry didn't mean you specifically did anything. It was more so how NCL was trying to pit the paying customer with preset expectations against the hard working steward they just upended their working schedule.

Sorry 100% didnt want to call you or anyone else out as the change in service level is not acceptable and 100% on the cruise company as a whole.

Just now, J0Y0US said:

Sorry didn't mean you specifically did anything. It was more so how NCL was trying to pit the paying customer with preset expectations against the hard working steward they just upended their working schedule.

Sorry 100% didnt want to call you or anyone else out as the change in service level is not acceptable and 100% on the cruise company as a whole.

I wasn’t clarifying for you as much for everyone reading along. I am always happy to compensate and show appreciation through tips — when a service is actually rendered.

• Like 1