Cruising and the World Wide Web

This thought came to me following Danno's question about first time cruising and why it was so special. A lot for me as been those I have met along the way.

It made me think of a recent thread that was a complaint about the timing of Cruise Critic parties and tracked on to what I consider a slight case of paranoia about meeting with those you have chatted with on a roll call.

I'll be the first to say, I'm sure there are some horror stories out there, but I'd like to think that I am old enough and ugly enough to avoid those people I do not get on with like the plague (and I'd also like to think I can spot them a mile off), by any subtle means possible. If all else fails? Well it is my vacation after all.Wave.gif

I guess part of my point is how much easier it has made things to meet up with like minded cruisers and more's the point how it facilitates keeping in touch via email. I have never been the best at communicating by written word. I have been very lucky to have met some great people on the ship and via these boards and I have been able to stay in touch with them and meet and chat with them again.

This isn't a poll, just a personal observation, but for my part I am really pleased to have found these roll calls and to be able to have formed some friendships that otherwise I would not have made.

There! Just a bit of balance to the argument.

Phil

Well put, Phil.

Not too long ago I submitted this post to a roll call I'm signed onto:

"as a solo traveller these roll calls have always been a source of comfort to me in knowing that I'm not embarking on an adventure totally without any connections whatsoever ...:) I've come to find that people who cruise are quite unique - this love of sailing we share - makes for some of the most wonderfully warm, friendly and fun-loving shipmates!"

And I meant every word!:)

Phil, I hope we get to meet one day on a cruise.

O.K. I will tell my story. In 2004 I was on a roll call for the Sapphire Princess. It was a great bunch and we had a great, great time on the cruise. Well after ther cruise 5 of really wanted to stay in touch so we went to the Floataway Lounge and started yaking. It is now 2006 and we are still going strong. 4 out of 5 of live in n. Calif. so we have day trips and weekend trip together. Have made a very strong bond between us and they have become like 2nd family. In fact one of the couples and my DH and I sailed with Celebrity last June and had the best time. Next year us original five and spouses are doing a sort of reunion cruise. They have become dear, dear friends and as I said just like family.

marilyn

Well...I have met some GREAT and some not so great people. Our second cruise (the first we knew of CruiseCritic beforehand) I met a group of people from CruiseCritic, some of them we just saw at the party and briefly around the ship, some we did spend some time with and thought perhaps we could have spent our time better on something else and one person in particular I have become as close to as a sister. She is a wonderful loving person and I am VERY thankful to have her in my life. We spent time together in CA before our last cruise and I cherish that very much. This last time around we seemed to connect more with one of the couples we were randomly put with at dinner. I figure it this way...I now go into the whole situation with less expectations, not everyone is going to click, but when you do it's a wonderful feeling.

Phil, well said my friend:)

I have been one of the lucky people who has been honared to meet

Phil live and in person. And that was not on a cruise but from an

invitation from him and some of his previous cruisemates.

Spending some time with them in Orlando, I can tell you he

is a real mensch;) (for those who don't know...that means

he is a good soul).

Agreed, not everyone is going to become best pals. But those

we connect with and feel a "real friendship" toward makes up

for those negative times that may happen in this world of

cruising.

Phil, well said my friend:)

I have been one of the lucky people who has been honared to meet

Phil live and in person. And that was not on a cruise but from an

invitation from him and some of his previous cruisemates.

Spending some time with them in Orlando, I can tell you he

is a real mensch;) (for those who don't know...that means

he is a good soul).

Agreed, not everyone is going to become best pals. But those

we connect with and feel a "real friendship" toward makes up

for those negative times that may happen in this world of

cruising.

But lois, I never said any thing, let alone said anything well, and as far as I can recall, I have never been to Orlando:D :D

Phil

A X cruise for us is like coming home...ships we love, good friends we meet, good food and good fortune we share...well done Phil.

Strangely enough, we have built such great relationships here, I wonder if actually meeting might change things...:confused:...what the heck, I'll chance it :D .

Phil,

I couldn't agree with you more. My family and I were lucky enough to meet and spend time with UK Phil on our last cruise and soon I will have the opportunity to meet US Phil, Chuck and many others who have been chatting on these boards.:)

• 3 months later...

Here's another positive vote! Not only have we had great fun

'talking' before cruising and planning shore excursions together, we have arranged to sit together in the dining room with a few like-minded souls and become close friends with several. In fact, one couple is joining us on a land vacation next month and again in Hawaii next year. Our Roll Call for our back to back Down Under cruises in 2008 is already amazing (including some on this thread) and given the amount of time until we cruise, we'll probably 'know' each other very well by 2008!

The few people (and I do mean FEW) with whom we didn't connect, we just didn't spend much time with - no problem.

These boards have become an important part of my cruising life and created joyous moments onboard.

my vacations would be a lot less fun without the people we've "met" online and on board. even though we still work too hard and don't vacation as frequently as we'd like, and so haven't had a chance to cruise multiple times with some of our CC acquaintances. every time I read a post from someone we've shared a cruise with, it brings back good memories.

Archived