World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

17 hours ago, shamrockace said:

The all the time fettuccine has been replaced with momma’s meat lasagna. It is also good. The fettuccine has only been offered once. 

Wish they had a lasagna without meat.  Since the lasagna on the menu has meat and the alfredo is no longer available every night, someone who doesn't eat meat, is left with just a soup and salad.  😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Denali2003 said:

Wish they had a lasagna without meat.  Since the lasagna on the menu has meat and the alfredo is no longer available every night, someone who doesn't eat meat, is left with just a soup and salad.  😔

You are preaching to the choir. I have tree but allergies and they use almond flour or hazelnut or some other nut in almost everything. It really narrows the choices. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, shamrockace said:

On the good side, the lobster with the Louisiana style crab cake was delicious. Usually the lobster is a bit cold and rubbery. It was all perfect yesterday. 

Yes, DW thought it was very good as well.

Personally, I have in general been pleased with the preparation and selection of fish dishes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Denali2003 said:

I asked our waiter last night about this.  He said you can order the fettuccine alfredo whenever you like if you just give them some advance notice.  He recommended the day before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moorea Part Two

Overnight our ship has traveled from Papeete to Moorea.  Although the ferry took about 40 minutes, the cruise ship took four hours. 

It must be the slow boat to Moorea.

Today is actually our first tender port, and we must use the water shuttles.  As we have an early excursion booked we patiently wait at the Crooners Lounge and are rewarded with a ticket for Tender 1.  But, here is the catch.  The Elite pax are waiting in a different lounge and they have priority tender service.  Fortunately it is not a long wait for us to be called and we get to shore in 15 minutes

Now, I must admit for being a little miffed about our planned excursion.  We booked it months ago as it was highly rated on a trip advising site.  Only a few days ago the vendor advised us it was cancelled as they were undergoing a mandatory inspection and repairs.  By that time of course all of the shipboard excursions were  sold out.  I contacted the vendor and asked if they had any suggestions.  At the last minute they notified me that everything was now good and we could re-book.  Okdk.

Despite the initial drama we have to say that this was our best private excursion so far and ranks among the best ever.

We boarded the catamaran which was docked nearby.  This vessel holds eight passengers and we were joined by only two other couples.  One couple was from our ship, the other from New Zealand vacationing in Moorea. 

The 4+ hour excursion was absolutely amazing.  We had a crew of three including a naturalist/guide (trained as an oceanographer) and a captain.   They were all young and very helpful and personable.

That morning we visited three different snorkeling spots.  At the first we swam with many blacktip reef sharks and rays.  The second stop was at a coral reef teeming with colorful fish.  And the third was the site of sunken Polynesian relics (replicas) along the sea floor.  We spent 30-40 minutes at each site. Darn!  my GoPro camera housing sprang a leak so my underwater pix were limited.

At each site we were given an educational lecture by the guide.  Nature, history and geography were covered.  The crew made sure all were comfortable in the snorkeling gear and stayed with us in the water.  The guide would point out different things to view.  When the current once pushed one of our party away from the boat the guide swam back with him.  Okay, it was me!

On the catamaran (which had covered and uncovered areas) we were offered water, fruit juices, a platter of fresh fruit and on the way home complimentary mai tais. 

The weather was on our side today with mostly sunny skies and occasional clouds.  The ride was smooth with a nice breeze ruffling what little hair I have left. 

The views of the surrounding mountains, and the Island Princess in the harbor were striking.

After reaching land we waited on a long line for a return tender.  The line ran through the covered artisan market, so definitely to the advantage of the sellers.  They had a captive audience!  Each booth offered pearls, clothing, handmade items and more pearls.  We did our part and helped support the local economy.

A lovely day on the water in Moorea, French Polynesia.

01.thumb.jpg.e5b8f03acac017e9ddcb2fdbd4f345fa.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.d395f2c3c0c145919b7da5b5239d93bc.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.1ed20947d28ae52033dfae1686689ab4.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.d6d0f5ff530ba3717ae0af6fe722bb91.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.97d4fe1c7f7370544437a456c2453c2f.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.4f2aee4b7da87ec65c8aa114d8cc391d.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.d35b646dc2fa77c45b6d2dbc4849045e.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.6195e099c8c30a804f79b3633a716dd0.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.eaee3cf56568698db305d8fc82c3c371.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.8b1ebd102e2b269d2f1a9839335e05ea.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.ae29d4c6e6f5ee5b2a7113e6326740b8.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.4371e8906b5290a7fde9b2455342c45b.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.9cd4454273c65cbeb496a45f221aaed2.jpg

14backlite.thumb.jpg.4e6bf22be6a76198e067f151530a2596.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

LOVING your writing style, wonderful humour, and great pictures!

Thanks for taking the time to do this great LIVE, it really is so informative!

It is our dream to do even part of a world cruise and we are happy to follow along on your journey!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 5:21 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Papeete, Tahiti

The ferry is $10 each way (senior rate!) and takes about 40 minutes.  It is a large modern vessel that carries passengers as well as vehicles and has seating indoors and outdoors, a snack bar and clean restrooms.

After returning on the ferry, we spend some time shopping in the busy city of  Papeete.  There are many shops and restaurants adjacent to the ship.  

Thank you for your information on Papeete and Moorea.  We will have a port stop in Papeete in April on Majestic Princess.  The ship will arrive early morning, overnight there, and leave next day in the late afternoon. I have a few questions, and appreciate any input.

1.  Did you need to get local currency or can use credit card for all your purchases?

2.  You noticed any ATM by the cruise terminal?

3.  Your Moorea ferry $10/way, did you pay with USD cash or you were able to use credit card?

4.  We are debating if on the 2nd day, we should take the ferry to Moorea.  After you got to 

Moorea, did you notice if there were tour vendors by the ferry pier selling tours?

5.  Were there much to do or see in Moorea by the ferry pier if we only plan to stay nearby?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!

• Like 1

Just now, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for your information on Papeete and Moorea.  We will have a port stop in Papeete in April on Majestic Princess.  The ship will arrive early morning, overnight there, and leave next day in the late afternoon. I have a few questions, and appreciate any input.

1.  Did you need to get local currency or can use credit card for all your purchases?

3.  Your Moorea ferry $10/way, did you pay with USD cash or you were able to use credit card?

4.  We are debating if on the 2nd day, we should take the ferry to Moorea.  After you got to 

Moorea, did you notice if there were tour vendors by the ferry pier selling tours?

5.  Were there much to do or see in Moorea by the ferry pier if we only plan to stay nearby?

In order -

1.  We used cc to pre-book our private excursions.  When we stopped at the pearl shops the commercial (air-conditioned) ones took cc.  The local market outside the tender pier took USD and no cc.  We did not change any money for this port.

2.  No, did not notice any ATMs and honestly did not look.

3.  We used cc to pay for the ferry.  Make sure to ask for senior rate if that applies to you!  It is very organized.  There are ticket booths at street level and then you go upstairs.  After presenting your ticket they scan the bar code and you go to a dedicated indoor/outdoor waiting area.  When the ferry pulls in you walk on via what almost looks like an airplane jetway.  We purchased round trip (return) tickets and all four looked exactly the same to us.  With the ticket you can take any ferry at any time that day, so you are not restricted.  We took an early 9am ferry, the Aremiti 6.

4 and 5.  The ferry dock is at a completely different part of the island than the cruise port dock.  There were no vendors nearby.  There is nothing to do here unless you have someone meet you with a vehicle that is pre-arranged.  No taxis that I saw, but again I was not really looking for one.  There was much to do near the cruise port and within walking distance.  Not so for the ferry dock.  There were not even any stores near the ferry dock except perhaps an auto repair shop. 

Our ship stayed overnight in Papeete but docked in Moorea the next day.  Are you sure the Majestic is not doing the same thing?  If so you have many options in Moorea from the cruise dock there on the second day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Our ship stayed overnight in Papeete but docked in Moorea the next day.  Are you sure the Majestic is not doing the same thing?  If so you have many options in Moorea from the cruise dock there on the second day.

Thank you so much for your detailed information!!

Our itinerary shows overnight in Papeete, no Moorea.  We booked private excursion for the 1st day, but only from 9 a.m. -  2 p.m.  We were thinking maybe after the excursion, we will return to the ship for a short break, then leave the ship again to check out the Papeete Market.  Then the next day take a ferry to Moorea.  Since you mentioned there is no vendors by the ferry terminal (Moorea side), then maybe we will just don't bother to go to Moorea.  Maybe after the 1st excursion, just return to the ship and rest.  Then the next day go check out the market and nearby streets.  Our ship will leave at 5 p.m. the next day.  I don't want to get local currency if not a "must" have, because I don't want to have leftover currency of no use.  Maybe we will only buy from booths or vendors who take cc or USD.

You mentioned your ship stayed overnight in Papeete.  I read on some travel sites that mentioned there are lots of food trucks at night by the cruise terminal.  Did you try any food from the food trucks?  If so, good and clean?  Take cc or USD?

Thank you!😊

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I have a few questions, and appreciate any input.

4.  We are debating if on the 2nd day, we should take the ferry to Moorea.  After you got to Moorea, did you notice if there were tour vendors by the ferry pier selling tours?

We’ve spent quite a bit of time in Tahiti and French Polynesia. Because we were there for a longer period, we always used local currency. I searched Google Maps for ATM’s in Papeete. We’ve used the one I’ve circled many times with no issues. It’s just a short walk on a wide sidewalk around the marina from where the ship will be docked. 

It’s been more than 5 years, but I do not recall tour operators by the Vai’are ferry dock on Moorea. We’ve taken a taxi to the nearby Sofitel (see beautiful pics on this thread), tipped the pool attendant well and bought food and drinks and enjoyed the pool and beach there. I think the Lagoonarium, which was fantastic, has not re-opened after COVID. We’ve also used Julienne’s Safari Tours. She spoke limited English but drove around the island and up to the Belvedere, which is well worth it on a clear day. 

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/business/julienne-tours-safari/

Except for the Sofitel, there is very little to do around the ferry terminal on Moorea. 

You can see on the map below how far the ferry terminal is from Opunohu Bay, where the Majestic is likely to anchor, or Cooks Bay, especially by road. 

Lots of Moorea tour ideas in my blog (link below, click in Moorea label on right side). 

73FF977F-115F-427E-A4CA-64200E1CFC7A.jpeg

22BA675E-C5FE-4446-A820-F0E46998AF16.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We’ve spent quite a bit of time in Tahiti and French Polynesia. Because we were there for a longer period, we always used local currency. I searched Google Maps for ATM’s in Papeete. We’ve used the one I’ve circled many times with no issues. It’s just a short walk on a wide sidewalk around the marina from where the ship will be docked. 

Thank you for the information!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

We used the ATM right near the open market about a 5 minute walk from the ship.  It is a bank owned ATM just on the outside of the building with 2 units.  Currency is 1,000, 2,000, 4,000, and 6,000 FPC.  Exchange for 4,000 cost $36.46 and $0.36 foreign Exchange fee.

Very easy to get currency and some of the vendors in the market accept US cash.  We actually paid one vendor our remaining FPC and balance in US.

When we were here in 2020WC, the whole waterfront near the ship was a great park and lots of food trucks.  Now they are building a large parking structure and only 1/4 of the park is still there.  A lot less food trucks in the evening.  Off the ship tours around the whole island are available for $65/pp in a mini van style vehicle and lasts about 4 hours.  Recommend the tour!  The ships tours are in big buses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JABTPS said:

We used the ATM right near the open market about a 5 minute walk from the ship.  It is a bank owned ATM just on the outside of the building with 2 units.  Currency is 1,000, 2,000, 4,000, and 6,000 FPC.  Exchange for 4,000 cost $36.46 and $0.36 foreign Exchange fee.

Very easy to get currency and some of the vendors in the market accept US cash.  We actually paid one vendor our remaining FPC and balance in US.

When we were here in 2020WC, the whole waterfront near the ship was a great park and lots of food trucks.  Now they are building a large parking structure and only 1/4 of the park is still there.  A lot less food trucks in the evening.  Off the ship tours around the whole island are available for $65/pp in a mini van style vehicle and lasts about 4 hours.  Recommend the tour!  The ships tours are in big buses.

Thank you for the information!

Princess offers an entire land tour of 4 hours for only $89, and since we are Elite, will get 10% off, and we can pay with gift cards (purchased at 10% off), so the net price for us is $72pp.  But we don't want to be on the big bus with so many people; we also not interested to see the Fern Cave, so we decided to book a private 4 hours tour doing only the island's East Coast. Tour is maximum of 4 passengers per tour.  The private tour is $74pp.    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for your information on Papeete and Moorea.  We will have a port stop in Papeete in April on Majestic Princess. 

11 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Our itinerary shows overnight in Papeete, no Moorea.

The tourist infrastructure on Moorea cannot support a ship with the number of passengers the Majestic can carry.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Yes, here are a few pix.  Personally I prefer a more upright position whilst reading, but they are okay for me for short periods if I would like to sit outside.  These posted pix are the chairs in their full upright position.  Our personal balcony seating is more comfortable and adjustable IMHO.

1.thumb.jpg.2afde4b71e4b3ed4520aaafe5808178c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.7c5f4b3ece1e548531776c914a97c48d.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.fe0db9e84573c75889c37eb285b0ef31.jpg

Those are the chairs we had on the Emerald. I was disappointed that they didn’t have the classic steamer chairs. It was our first time on that ship, so I’m not sure if it ever had them. I’m guessing it is to make more room for walkers? On the Royal class ships they have some (below) but no promenade to walk of course. Enjoying following along on your adventure!

948336F8-6FC8-445E-B1E0-8B39EB252A9F.jpeg

Edited by sunviking90
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Denali2003 said:

Do you know if the Island is sailing with 100% crew?  If not, about what percentage?  When we were on the Caribbean Princess last year, the ship sailed with 95% passengers and only 50-60% crew.

I do not know the passenger / crew ratio.  But I do know that many new crew boarded in LA.  This has dramatically cut down on lines for dinner at the MDR.  We never had a problem with that with reserved table and time each evening.  But pre-LA we saw long lines of people waiting to get in as we left.  Not anymore.

• Like 2