World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

Final thoughts

Why Cruise Critic?   Others on this voyage had their own personal blog or posted on FB.  I specifically stuck with Cruise Critic.  Over the years, the membership has been very helpful to me, providing guidance, advice and opinions.  Although the text I posted dealt with our personal daily activities, I kept the pictures more generic.  By not posting “look at us” pictures I hope it rekindled your own memories on ports you have visited or gave you the opportunity to picture yourself there in the future.

WC2023 was an amazing experience and we are grateful we had the time, resources and health to enjoy our travels.  Although we had the chance for early booking of WC2025 we passed on it.  Many of the ports were duplicated and there is a big world out there to explore!  But we will not rule out a future world cruise.

Our upcoming booked cruises include Holland America’s Grand Africa (round trip Fort Lauderdale circumnavigating the continent) and a Galapagos cruise with Celebrity.

And this morning I found DW hunched over her laptop.

“I just booked us on the Sun Princess!”

Yes, we like to cruise. 

In closing, we would like to thank all who commented and provided compliments and encouragement and for sharing your thoughts.

Safe travels !

the end.JPG

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 14

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing journey! DH and I are booked on Island's 24 WC r/t FLL. You've provided so much valuable information and insight to the various ports that we haven't explored yet. You've been such a great help in planning ahead and it's been a joy following you on your adventures! Wishing you many more beautiful journeys!

• Like 2

@We_like_to_cruiseThank you so very much for this.  I will never be able to do a WC but have always wanted to, so I enjoyed your running commentary about your activities and the ship.  And your beautiful pictures were the best.  I'm hoping that you will give us the date of your HAL Circle Africa cruise so that I can follow you there.  Thank you again.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 4:18 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Looking forward to following along! We just did a 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade from Athens to Dubai and then onto Cape Town. I see it's going to be awhile before you get to Dubai followed by going through the Suez Canal, but that section of the cruise for us was awesome, especially going to Petra and Valley of the Kings. BTW I would have thought Princess would have thrown in unlimited laundry if you booked a World Cruise. Have a great cruise!!

Ken, we were on the Cape Town Jade Christmas cruise-and are on the 2024 Princess World Cruise!

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 6:09 AM, chamima said:

Thank you for taking the time out of your trip to take and post these really informative pictures.

We are signed up for next year's World Cruise so all of your info is really appreciated!!!

Hi Karen, what part of Mi are you from?  We have a summer place near Ludington, but live in Florida.

On 4/17/2023 at 9:20 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

I am not an expert, but was not really "shocked" by weather related itinerary changes over the last four months. 

Perhaps you also visited Aladin and Fatima!

We had booked a cruise from Iceland to Greenland this past summer-All 3 ports in Greenland were cancelled, and they substituted Norway instead, due to ice.  Other cruise lines went and were unable to tender at any of the ports in Greenland, so they crossed rough seas for nothing.  Weather happens!

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for posting all the great info and photo's. I'm exhausted sitting in my chair reading all the things you did. I was recently in Sydney prior to a transpacific cruise and the one day you were there you covered as much as I did in 4 days!!! Enjoy your journey with HAL.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:58 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Well we certainly have had repeats, but definitely not every 7 days.  The repetition is infrequent enough that we are glad to see some of our previous favorites back again!

Great attitude!  Thank you for your insights, commentary, and positivity.  We can't wait for the 2024WC!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 6:38 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Funny how those kettles are a dangerous fire hazard in all but the UK and OZ markets.

Maybe Brits, Kiwis, and Aussies are less absent minded 🙂

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2023 at 7:05 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

You reminded me of a story.  Many years ago we were on a cruise and shared a table with an Australian veterinarian.  Somehow the topic of electric kettles came up and I was clueless.

She explained it to me and then asked "But if you don't have a kettle, how on earth do you boil water?"

I replied "In a pot on the stove."

She was astonished and said "Well, I always thought the United States was the most advanced country in the world, but now ..."

Hoping to avoid an international incident I promptly purchased a kettle once we returned home.

And, yes, although we are not tea drinkers, that kettle heats up water very very quickly!

I also used it a great deal when we are under "boil water notices" after line breaks (a relatively common occurance in my part of Florida)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have thoroughly enjoyed your posts as we are scheduled on the 24 WC. a question comes to mind… As you returned after tax day, did you pre arrange your taxes being done or did you use an online service to do your taxes? 

• Thanks 1

Just finished this fantastic and expansive report. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures with us. I enjoyed traveling along with you and your photos were great! 

Edited by homeinboca
  • Thanks 1

Having re-read from the beginning, I see my answer.  We are planning on bringing a laptop and trying to do our taxes on board.  With good wifi I don’t anticipate any major problems. What are others thinking? 

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 2:04 PM, glhman52 said:

Have thoroughly enjoyed your posts as we are scheduled on the 24 WC. a question comes to mind… As you returned after tax day, did you pre arrange your taxes being done or did you use an online service to do your taxes? 

We applied for an extension on our tax return and dealt with it when we got home.  Just make sure you have already paid enough taxes so you do not get a penalty!

• Like 1

Thank you so very much for a fun read! Dreaming of a future world cruise!
I will admit I loved the electric tea kettle discussion, I have had one for years but most people find them fascinating when they first come to my home.

• Like 1

another question, hope you don’t mind.  credit card.  we have a travel card which doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees.  Did you find that one card was sufficient? Would you recommend traveling on a WC with two or three? 

Thanks if you do respond.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glhman52 said:

another question, hope you don’t mind.  credit card.  we have a travel card which doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees.  Did you find that one card was sufficient? Would you recommend traveling on a WC with two or three? 

Ever since we have had situation where a card had to be suspended due to fraud and was out of commission, we have backup cards for USD, foreign purchases with no exchange surcharge, as well as extra CAD cards.  Whether a cruise or land trip, we always have back-ups now as it can be either impossible or take a while to get a replacement to someplace other than home.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 9:43 PM, glhman52 said:

We did bring a total of three different cards and kept one in the safe.  DW and I each took one of the remaining cards in port but in reality only used one the entire trip.

• 4 weeks later...

So excited to find your blog but bet you are no longer monitoring it.  We are doing the same cruise in 2024…would love to download this whole thread but not sure how to do that.  Seems you like to wander many of the ports as we do…like having a travel agent.  If you still monitor this, please let me know if there is a way to get your entire blog…I’m afraid it will disappear or I won’t be able to find it again before we cruise…thanks so much

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 7:49 PM, hoosiersprincipalsocialwo said:

So excited to find your blog but bet you are no longer monitoring it.  We are doing the same cruise in 2024…would love to download this whole thread but not sure how to do that.  Seems you like to wander many of the ports as we do…like having a travel agent.  If you still monitor this, please let me know if there is a way to get your entire blog…I’m afraid it will disappear or I won’t be able to find it again before we cruise…thanks so much

That is a good question.  I am not sure it is possible to download the entire blog.  Perhaps there is a way to ask tech support for the cruisecritic.com website?  Thanks for your kind words!

Edited by We_like_to_cruise

On 7/19/2023 at 4:49 PM, hoosiersprincipalsocialwo said:

2 suggestions:

• if you follow it, you can find it by going to manage followed content (click on your user name above)
  • I have transferred my lives to a document to save by copy/pasting each post, tedious but it makes sure they are saved (I write them partly for myself as a travel diary & partly to share)
  • Thanks 1