Alaska cruise 2023

Dave Simpson

I previous did this with a small Holland American ship.  For this season, Celebrity has Solstice, Eclipse, Edge, and Millenium.  Are there any advantages to taking the smaller M-class ship, ie can get in smaller bays / closee to ice etc  or are itineraries basically the same. Also, on Alaska cruises, do they open up the helicopter pad at front for viewing, and can kids use the indoor pool at certain times of the day.  Thank you.

I have been on both the Solstice and Millennium.   When I sailed on the Millennium at the end of the 2021 Alaska season there was a very strong storm off the Washington coast.  Our Captain asked and received permission from the Canadians to sail the Inside passage between the east side of Vancouver Island and the Canadian mainland to avoid the storm.  That was the advantage of being on a smaller ship.  My friend who was sailing the same day on the Ovation, her cruise followed the usual route of going around the west side of Vancouver Island and experienced much rougher seas.  It is unusual for ship to modify routes, but it was a big storm.

As for the helipad, my experience is that the helipad is opened occasionally by invitation only.  It could be just for Suite/Retreat level guests, or I think on my particular cruise it was Concierge level passengers.  I know that we received an invitation to view the approach of docking at a particular port-of-call.  It was fun, as there were very few passengers out there.

I also believe that the helipad is also used as a crew relaxation area.

@Dave Simpson, I noticed that you mentioned the Edge, you must be looking at 2023 sailings.

2 hours ago, Dave Simpson said:

are itineraries basically the same... open up the helicopter pad at front for viewing... kids use the indoor pool at certain times 

Yes

By invitation only

Yes, usually a couple of afternoon hours.

Sailed both the Edge and Millie last year and I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Very different feel--the Millie was more intimate (not surprisingly), but had an older, more traditional feel. I was impressed with the Revolution updates; I wouldn't have guessed we were on a 22 year old ship. We sailed on her in Alaska and she was able to get quite close to the Hubbard Glacier, though we splurged for the small boat tour.  We were in the rear of the ship but only felt rocking once.  The Edge has 50% more capacity but also more restaurant venues (I think her displacement is 35-40% greater than the Millie) and we loved the huge floor to ceiling windows--we sailed on her in the Caribbean, but the views in Alaska should be even more stunning.

1 hour ago, Dave Simpson said:

On the Millenium, where do people usually watch the ice etc without glass barriers.  Holland America was a smaller ship with lot of nice open deck space.

The Millie has a promenade deck which usually had a good view, but also the pool deck up top.  There were no shortage of outside places to view the natural beauty surrounding you.  I'd guess the Edge would have many places too--but those huge windows will allow for good inside viewing in the rain (and it WILL rain for 50-70% of your trip....but that only adds to the beauty!).

• Like 1

Edge is not sailing Alaska until 2024.

Since the restart we have done 4 cruises. 3 of them have been Alaska cruises. 2 were on Millie and 1 on Solstice. The Millennium would be very nice, but adding airfare to Anchorage and transfer to Seward. I decided to pass on the Millennium. The Solstice out of Seattle would be the simplest for us. We are 30 mins from the cruise terminal. Eclipse out of Canada Place is about a 3 hour drive from Seattle. In my eyes Eclipse has the better itinerary. I like Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point and glassblowing. 

If I was already having to fly and could add 2 days in Seward, book Millie. Otherwise I would sail out of Vancouver over Seattle to see Hubbard Glacier. Photo of HG June 2023.

20220604_151210.thumb.jpg.7409bbb0ccb578768414ebdb73347b95.jpg20220604_153522.thumb.jpg.d13ca1f4efc02fb3d02e72a1745f540b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Simpson said:

Thanks for all the great tips.  Our HAL cruise did inside passage to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Both were wonderful.  Seems like Celebrity goes to Hubbard glacier only.  Is that because of a bigger ship or are all sites equally beautiful. 

I don't know why they choose Hubbard but I definitely think all sites are beautiful.  However, I did 2 cruises to Alaska in 2022, one on Celebrity to Hubbard and one on NCL to Glacier Bay. While Glacier Bay was amazing and had multiple glaciers to see, I was more impressed by Hubbard.  We got SO close, less than a mile. It was enormous and we saw calving and had perfect weather in July. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but it is fun to see something different and then figure out what you like best!

The reason Celebrity doesn't go to Glacier Bay is because it doesn't have the contract with the National Park.  The day we visited Hubbard we got very close.  Go later in the season, better chance for up close viewing.  Both pools were open.  One covered and the other with an open roof.  

Our previous Alaska cruise was with HAL on the Volendam R/T Vancouver.  We liked the covered promenade.  I prefer the smaller ships, but they don't necessarily get any closer.

While the Millennium is the oldest ship in the current Celebrity fleet you would never know it.  The ship has been "revolutionized."  

We have done Celebrity itineraries including the RT out of Seattle, RT out of Vancouver and the one ways between Vancouver and Seward.  I am of the opinion that the one ways between Seward and Vancouver are the stronger itineraries.  I rank the RTs out of Vancouver second with the RTs out of  Seattle last.   I haven't checked the Edge itineraries.

We have done two Alaska cruises in the past, both r/t Vancouver. In June we are sailing Anchorage to Vancouver on the Noordam. My wife is concerned about sea conditions between Whittier and Glacier Bay. Can anyone offer what they experienced on that leg?

On 1/13/2023 at 6:29 AM, Dave Simpson said:

On the Millenium, where do people usually watch the ice etc without glass barriers.  Holland America was a smaller ship with lot of nice open deck space.

Balconies are a good option.   The captain usually does a 360 spin to the Port and then a 360 to Starboard giving all a nice view.    You also get good views from the Retreat (not open to all), OVC Deck when spinning the ship and along the jogging track.   If i'm not mistaken there is a hidden balcony in front of the Gym with doors near the treadmills.

Be warned that it can get pretty cold out there.