Kona diy

Mom2togirls

We will be in Kona May 1st from 8-10 on RCI. There are no good excursions through the ship so we want to diy. 
We want to explore for about 8 hours so we get back to the ship in plenty of time. 
1. Is it possible to rent a car on Kona? Where?  Approximately how much would it cost?  Is it easy to get around on our own?

2. Can we hire a tour guide anywhere or is there a tour company recommended that might go to the places we want to go to?

3. Would 8 hours be enough time to go to volcanoes NP, black or green sand beach, and snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay?  If not what would be your must do’s?  These are the things different members of our family want to do (2 adults, kids ages 15 and 11). 

thank you!

On 1/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, Mom2togirls said:

1. Is it possible to rent a car on Kona?

2. Can we hire a tour guide anywhere

3. Would 8 hours be enough time to go to volcanoes NP, black or green sand beach, and snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay? 

I'll answer briefly. The first two questions are answered extensively in these forums.

1. Yes you can rent a car. There are two agencies walkable and Enterprise will send a shuttle. Cost is wide ranging.

2. Of course, every cruise port has private tours. I've never used one in Kona so I can't give any recs.

3. Enough time for all three??? Not a chance, pick one. I think VNP is too far in any case.

Following as We're also on the Same Ship/Cruise and never been to Kona, although we did book a car rental for the Maui Port through Costco 🙂

Also My Littles are 8 & 14 so hopefully there will be lots to hang out with! 

On 1/22/2023 at 6:57 PM, teachingforme said:

I found this rental agency. They rent dune buggy's for 4 or 8 hours. We are looking into them for our June trip.

Big Island Buggy Rentals | Self-Guided Tours with Street Legal Buggies | Kailua-Kona

Thank you for sharing this.  We have a car rented in October through Costco; but I think we are going to change it to this.  It looks like this is right by the port.  

They are a 5 minute walk from the port per my conversation with Aaron the owner. We booked 3 buggy's for our group and they send you a map of places to visit/see. When we get back from our June trip I will write a review. But already happy with the level of customer service received.

3 hours ago, teachingforme said:

They are a 5 minute walk from the port per my conversation with Aaron the owner. We booked 3 buggy's for our group and they send you a map of places to visit/see. When we get back from our June trip I will write a review. But already happy with the level of customer service received.

Thanks.  I did book it.  i had tried to call; but did not get an answer.  Aaron called me; since they missed my call.  He said to look for an email, and he could see my reservation.  I agree.  Great customer service so far.  Super nice guy.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, teachingforme said:

This looks like a lot of fun but I was wondering if they are easy to get into?  We are a senior couple and my husband has had knee replacement surgery.  His knees don't bend  real well.  Do you think this would work for us?  Thanks 

2 hours ago, freetyme365 said:

This looks like a lot of fun but I was wondering if they are easy to get into?  We are a senior couple and my husband has had knee replacement surgery.  His knees don't bend  real well.  Do you think this would work for us?  Thanks 

Do note that all of their buggies except "Honu" are stick shift.  How would his knees do with all the shifting required?

23 hours ago, freetyme365 said:

When are you going? If it is after us I can report back.

As, I had two knee surgeries on the same knee within 18 months in 2021/2022 My right leg will never be straight again. I need a knee replacement but am considered too young (at 50) for a full knee replacement. Plus we will have my 77 year old dad with us and he is going in the dune buggy.

Hi, Last month, I underwent a total knee replacement. My surgeon advises slow and steady treatment. My "surgical" pain was probably progressing normally, but I still experienced what my PT diagnosed as nerve pain. My physical therapy comprises moderate bending, straightening, and other knee and leg-related motions. Additionally, I'm standing exercises that accomplish the same purpose. In terms of CMT, I don't anticipate being much better than I was prior to surgery, but I believe I'm getting close. It will take at least six months for a full recovery. Continue to follow your doctor's recommendations, and you will gradually recover. I travel, dance, do yoga, go on hikes, and I'm a really active person. You'll recover quickly! Good luck.

On 2/14/2023 at 12:18 AM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Do note that all of their buggies except "Honu" are stick shift.  How would his knees do with all the shifting required?

I'm going to add to this that traffic in Kona itself is absolutely terrible (even without a ship in port). We avoided the town entirely when ships were ported there because it's just way too crowded for our taste. Be sure the driver can navigate a stick shift on very steep roads in high density traffic. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 8:14 PM, teachingforme said:

When are you going? If it is after us I can report back.

As, I had two knee surgeries on the same knee within 18 months in 2021/2022 My right leg will never be straight again. I need a knee replacement but am considered too young (at 50) for a full knee replacement. Plus we will have my 77 year old dad with us and he is going in the dune buggy.

We are going in Oct. 23.  If you are before that please let me know how this worked for you.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 6:02 PM, freetyme365 said:

We are going in Oct. 23.  If you are before that please let me know how this worked for you.

We rented the dune buggies and had so much fun. One of the dune buggies was an automatic. The front seats are way easier to get in than the back seat if you get a 4 seater. Basically you step on the seat, hold on to the roll bar, lift other leg and scoot down into seat.  

I was able to get into the back seat (not a pretty site the first time but it got easier). My 77 year old dad was also able to get in the back seat.

A just OK beach is right by where the tenders dock in downtown in front of the King K Courtyard.  All beaches are free for all and there is a public shower facility on the pier.  If you don't end up renting a vehicle, there is a Kona Trolley that has a limited route but goes as far as Kahalu'u Beach Park, a great snorkeling spot.  Haven't used the trolley before but may try it in December.  Traffic really is bad in town.

4 hours ago, mcmarya said:

A just OK beach is right by where the tenders dock in downtown in front of the King K Courtyard.  All beaches are free for all and there is a public shower facility on the pier.  If you don't end up renting a vehicle, there is a Kona Trolley that has a limited route but goes as far as Kahalu'u Beach Park, a great snorkeling spot.  Haven't used the trolley before but may try it in December.  Traffic really is bad in town.

Thanks

On 6/14/2023 at 8:04 PM, teachingforme said:

We rented the dune buggies and had so much fun. One of the dune buggies was an automatic. The front seats are way easier to get in than the back seat if you get a 4 seater. Basically you step on the seat, hold on to the roll bar, lift other leg and scoot down into seat.  

I was able to get into the back seat (not a pretty site the first time but it got easier). My 77 year old dad was also able to get in the back seat.

Thank you for reporting back.  I am looking so forward to this.  Luckily I did get the automatic booked.  Not sure who will be doing the driving; but I have not driven a manual for a long time, and I did not want to have to relearn here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 1:37 AM, Moseley176 said:

Following as We're also on the Same Ship/Cruise and never been to Kona, although we did book a car rental for the Maui Port through Costco 🙂

Also My Littles are 8 & 14 so hopefully there will be lots to hang out with! 

What company did you find through Costco? Are they picking you up at the pier or are you taking a taxi to the airport?

• 3 weeks later...

We screwed up last year on NCL Pride of America stop at Kona. We thought we could just walk about and enjoy but not so. Spent a lot of time walking and not seeing anything interesting. Next time in 2024 we intend to structure something more definite to enjoy the day. We like beach days and want to hang on a beautiful beach. Loved Kona but didn’t organize properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We DIY'd Kona last week.  In the morning we did shopping and took pictures along the shore.  Lots of waves.  In the afternoon we went to the beach by the tender port.  Was a little crowded but did the trick.  Also had a fair amount of shaved ice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...