Help with hotels

Ferndale Girl

We'll be flying into LaGuardia arriving in the evening for a cruise out of the Brooklyn terminal the next day;   We will need someplace to stay that night. We won't be doing anything except sleeping - not going to anything.  Can you give ideas of someplace not expensive that would make sense.  We'll get some sort of transportation to the hotel and then to the pier.  Then....after the cruise we want to stay one or two nights before flying home out of LaGuardia.  Any suggestions for hotels for sightseeing that aren't real expensive????

Living in Brooklyn we know many that sail out of Brooklyn Downtown Area stay at the Marriott on Adams Street near the Brooklyn Bridge - Dumbo area.

Along Fulton Street, Court Street and Montague Street near Brooklyn Heights are many restaurants.

Also Brooklyn Heights and Dumbo area are up and coming near the Brooklyn Bridge. You can even take a ferry ride to Lower Manhattan.

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is not that far away straight run.

• Like 1

If you are only going to spend the night if might be cost effective to stay at a property near LaG then Uber to Brooklyn in the morning. 

For your post stay, use a matrix like kayak and look for deals. The price fluctuates depending on the demand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

If you are only going to spend the night if might be cost effective to stay at a property near LaG then Uber to Brooklyn in the morning. 

For your post stay, use a matrix like kayak and look for deals. The price fluctuates depending on the demand. 

I think the OP is looking to use down time for light sight seeing which can not be done at LaG..

28 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, the OP said "We will need someplace to stay that night. We won't be doing anything except sleeping - not going to anything"

10 hours ago, Ferndale Girl said:

Any suggestions for hotels for sightseeing that aren't real expensive

On return  they are looking...........

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On return  they are looking...........

The part of @Got2Cruise's post, the first paragraph,  that suggests staying near LGA, is clearly referring to the OP's pre cruise night, and staying near LGA that night is an appropriate suggestion. 

The second paragraph of @Got2Cruise's post addresses the OP's post cruise stay and isn't suggesting staying near LGA, although it probably should specifically suggest staying in Manhattan. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The part of @Got2Cruise's post, the first paragraph,  that suggests staying near LGA, is clearly referring to the OP's pre cruise night, and staying near LGA that night is an appropriate suggestion. 

The second paragraph of @Got2Cruise's post addresses the OP's post cruise stay and isn't suggesting staying near LGA, although it probably should specifically suggest staying in Manhattan. 

They specifically looking to enjoy sightseeing afterwards. 

Manhattan is to far away and expensive.

Brooklyn has items to view and visit and easy for the BQE straight to LaG.

I don't look too deep into posts but suggest items CC'ers maybe happy to consider....

21 hours ago, Ferndale Girl said:

We'll be flying into LaGuardia arriving in the evening for a cruise out of the Brooklyn terminal the next day;   We will need someplace to stay that night. We won't be doing anything except sleeping - not going to anything.  Can you give ideas of someplace not expensive that would make sense.  We'll get some sort of transportation to the hotel and then to the pier.  Then....after the cruise we want to stay one or two nights before flying home out of LaGuardia.  Any suggestions for hotels for sightseeing that aren't real expensive????

For your pre cruise night, since you just need a place to sleep, I'd suggest looking for a hotel near LGA that has a free shuttle from the airport. I can't make a specific recommendation having not been in the area in years but you'd probably be OK with any recognizable national chain hotel. Just be sure the hotel really is near LGA as some advertise they are but in reality are quite a distance away. The morning of your cruise take Uber/Lyft or book a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7 for the trip from the hotel to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

For your post cruise stay you should look for a hotel in Manhattan. Not knowing your budget, the dates or your stay nor your sightseeing ideas it's impossible to make a recommendation. Hotels rates can vary greatly by date. As was suggested check one of the major booking websites. You use Uber/Lyft or a car service for travel from the cruise port to your hotel and from your hotel to the airport when you're departing NY.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I don't look too deep into posts but suggest items CC'ers maybe happy to consider....

There are two separate hotel stays under discussion, one pre cruise and one post cruise. 

I didn't have to look very deeply into anyone's post to figure that out.

I suggest you read post #9, where I've made some general recommendations for each of the two.

Edited by njhorseman

There is a clean Marriott Hotel just across the roadway from LGA which would be good for pre-cruise stay.  Post- cruise, I would suggest something in Manhattan —- either down town (Wall Street - historic) area just across the river from cruise terminal, or mid-town (theatre district) depending upon general interests.

I'm the original poster.....after thinking about this more I decided that it would make more sense to go earlier and do the sightseeing before the cruise and then come home directly afterwards.  We would only have to worry about getting one hotel.  We could get to the hotel (not near LaGuardia) at night, sightsee for two days and then go to the cruise terminal the morning of the cruise.

So I'm looking for suggestions for someplace that would be convenient for sightseeing and easy to get to the Brooklyn cruise terminal.    Someone suggested the Marriott near the Brooklyn Bridge.

Thank you all for trying to help.

Edited by Ferndale Girl
Wanted to add something
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ferndale Girl said:

I'm the original poster.....after thinking about this more I decided that it would make more sense to go earlier and do the sightseeing before the cruise and then come home directly afterwards.  We would only have to worry about getting one hotel.  We could get to the hotel (not near LaGuardia) at night, sightsee for two days and then go to the cruise terminal the morning of the cruise.

So I'm looking for suggestions for someplace that would be convenient for sightseeing and easy to get to the Brooklyn cruise terminal.    Someone suggested the Marriott near the Brooklyn Bridge.

If you want to sightsee you want to be in Manhattan, not Brooklyn.  As I said in post #9 it's not possible to make a specific recommendation without knowing when your stay will be, your budget and what you're planning to do. I agree with @navybankerteacherthat either the Wall St. area or midtown are good possibilities, but there are so many hotels in Manhattan that you need to do some research on prices for your dates as a starter.

1 hour ago, Ferndale Girl said:

Yes, know many who use Marriott before the cruise, sightseeing and enjoy Brooklyn/Lower Manhattan. With your right research as all such do, even can see enjoy Little Italy/Chinatown. Yes you do need two days alone for sightseeing.

Most people we know really want to head home after a voyage.. All the sites seen during the cruise. Time back home to settle in.

I know there are many suggestions on these boards to what to do. It's up to you and your interests. Living in Brooklyn,  we would like visitors to see NY all it offers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

You’re kidding right? Manhattan is too far from Brooklyn? 

The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is more expensive than many Manhattan hotels. 

36 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

You’re kidding right? Manhattan is too far from Brooklyn? 

The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is more expensive than many Manhattan hotels. 

Honestly, yes Manhattan is not as close as you think. In expense and traffic and hassle especially on the roads. We really don't go in as much as some think because of the bother. With Brooklyn up and coming, we enjoy our local restaurants more than crossing the bridges/tunnels.