Viking Octantis Shelter and Hide?

janetcbl

The Shelter is a little protected area right behind the bow. It is outside of the cabin area. The Hide is a hideaway where storytelling occurs. There is comfortable cozy seating and a cart of alcohol fixings. It feels very private and away from the rest of the ship, During our trip on Octantis, there were several evenings where different crew members told tales of their adventures. 

You may have to ask crew for directions to The Hide — it is (intentionally, I think) a challenge to get to - think speakeasy. We finally managed it using a forward, starboard side elevator, I think, down to the level, then through a closed door.
We went after dinner and were the only ones there. The lone bartender came and rolled the bar cart out of the bow shaped (because it’s literally in the pointy end of the boat!) closet, and made us drinks. Since it turned out to be such a private affair, we asked him about his life on board and his family in the Philippines, and about a baffling “issue” that had happened with an AWOL crew member the day before. It was a very interesting experience that wouldn’t have taken place in a regular bar, I think. 

Edited by talltexan
Clarity
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bethanyanne said:

What ship was this? Is it on all Viking ships?

Only the expedition ships and it's a bit of a challenge to find because you have to be in the right elevator and the right stairwell.

Basically find the forward most elevator on the ship... It's by its lonesome.... And then press One.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:19 PM, janetcbl said:

For people who have sailed on the Octantis, what are the Shelter and Hide and how does one access them? Thanks for the info!

The Shelter is on Deck 3 behind the bow. It's an outdoor seating area about 3/4 enclosed by windows and a nice place to enjoy the view unbuffeted by wind.

FYI - DO NOT go to the Hide when they are about to drop anchor on the Great Lakes.

Those 2 tubes toward the bow contain the chains ( there is a sign on them ). You think you are standing next to the actual ships engines.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I cannot get over the fact that the title of this thread - Shelter and Hide - made me think of a safe room from disaster....

Should have been the reverse order... but yes, every time I think of the way it's titled, I think the ship had to go through a hide and shelter... maybe from those Canadian pirates, or some other entity. 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kchand said:

FYI - DO NOT go to the Hide when they are about to drop anchor on the Great Lakes.

Those 2 tubes toward the bow contain the chains ( there is a sign on them ). You think you are standing next to the actual ships engines.

Probably one day I'll do a Great Lakes tour on the expedition ships when the pricing makes sense. I've been on the Polaris twice now, though in the southern hemisphere (Antarctica and Chilean Fjords) and some of the neat parts of the ship are challenging to enjoy when it's balls cold out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, deec said:

I would spend more time on Expedition Ships but the price makes us pause.  We loved the ship and Antarctica!

For all who know me, you know we love Viking.

BUT, when it came to Antarctica, we chose a different cruise line because Viking was - IMO - just way too overpriced.

We actually sailed on this other line for about half the price of Viking per person.

Our cabin was very comfortable and as comfortable as a Viking cabin.

Now, dining was one restaurant with a small Bistro type thing as an alternative, and a so called specialty restaurant that you could not get a reservation at if your life depended on it.  The food was very good, but not as good or near as many choices in venue or food as Viking.

BUT, we were on this cruise for the destination and not the luxury of the ship.  This made our decision and we would do it again for the same reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

For all who know me, you know we love Viking.

BUT, when it came to Antarctica, we chose a different cruise line because Viking was - IMO - just way too overpriced.

We actually sailed on this other line for about half the price of Viking per person.

Our cabin was very comfortable and as comfortable as a Viking cabin.

Now, dining was one restaurant with a small Bistro type thing as an alternative, and a so called specialty restaurant that you could not get a reservation at if your life depended on it.  The food was very good, but not as good or near as many choices in venue or food as Viking.

BUT, we were on this cruise for the destination and not the luxury of the ship.  This made our decision and we would do it again for the same reason.

Curious as to who you sailed with? 🍺🥌

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I would like to know as well, @CDNPolar. I made a similar comment because I was asked about the expedition ship pricing over in the post Viking promo thread and I had similar feelings.

The topic of expedition cruising may be worth exploring because while Viking has a nice Antarctica product, it's geared more towards the older crowd Viking tends to attract.

16 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

16 hours ago, Mike07 said:

I would like to know as well, @CDNPolar. I made a similar comment because I was asked about the expedition ship pricing over in the post Viking promo thread and I had similar feelings.

The topic of expedition cruising may be worth exploring because while Viking has a nice Antarctica product, it's geared more towards the older crowd Viking tends to attract.

We sailed with Hurtigruten.  We did our research, and Viking had just started sailing to Antarctic but Hurtigruten had been sailing there for almost 20 years at the point of time we booked.

We felt "safe" with a company that had been doing this for so many years, but especially for the expedition / excursion part of the trip.  And, I have to tell you that we were endlessly impressed with the expedition team on our ship.  Knowledgable, friendly, personable, and experienced.  

Now, it is obvious that we have not experienced Viking's Antarctica product, BUT we have ascertained from reading a number of reviews that because of the age range Viking attracts, that their expedition excursions can be less demanding.

One thing I will say is that we were exhausted each day.  This trip was a physical workout.  Viking has a great option of getting into the boats in the Hanger, but there is something about getting into kayaks and zodiacs from the side of the ship and not in the comfort of the Hanger.

Here is my review of the cruise:

Additionally, here is a link to our personal movie from this trip.  This is NOT a monetized site and I am not trying to drive traffic.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

although Viking shows embarking the toys from the Hangar in our experience that was never the case.  Easy, safe embarkation from the hangar door but the boats ( special OPS and zodiacs) had always been in the water already.  The kayaks were boarded from a zodiac and we practiced in the hangar first.  I think it was taking too much time to launch them from inside.

Not sure what the difference in price but I am very happy that we sailed with Viking to Antarctica...the ship was perfect and the excursions were interesting enough for me...I would have liked to snowshoe or cross country ski BUT I would not have done the plunge!

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Viking has a great option of getting into the boats in the Hanger, but there is something about getting into kayaks and zodiacs from the side of the ship and not in the comfort of the Hanger

1 hour ago, deec said:

although Viking shows embarking the toys from the Hangar in our experience that was never the case.  Easy, safe embarkation from the hangar door but the boats ( special OPS and zodiacs) had always been in the water already.  The kayaks were boarded from a zodiac and we practiced in the hangar first.  I think it was taking too much time to launch them from inside.

Not sure what the difference in price but I am very happy that we sailed with Viking to Antarctica...the ship was perfect and the excursions were interesting enough for me...I would have liked to snowshoe or cross country ski BUT I would not have done the plunge!

it was explained to us that they stopped using the hanger to load the SOBs because the weight of the passengers slowed down the process considerably. Be loading and unloading through the sides, they save enough time to allow an additional excursion per day.

IMG_5042.thumb.jpeg.3aaaf2979efea2c7f361957b88898c07.jpeg