4th time to Belize City - bored with the basics

amandaepperson21

This Spring Break, my kids, boyfriend and I will be stopping at Belize City. I've gone to Caye Caulker and was very unimpressed. I've been cave tubing twice; once with the kids. We loved it, but don't really want to do it again. Boyfriend has never been to the Caribbean. I'm hoping if I provide some info on our likes and dislikes as travelers, I can get some ideas of what to do.

None of the usual ship excursions interest me. I'm a seasoned cruiser. Comfortable renting a car or hopping on a ferry boat without it being an organized excursion thru a third party company. Also ok with using a third party. I've only ever taken a ship excursion once. 

Likes - beautiful beaches, adventure, hiking, places that have a day passes with things like kayaks or paddle boats, snorkeling (especially where you can swim out from shore - we bring our own snorkels), resort day passes. But the biggie is just know I found the beaches at Caye Caulker among the most "meh" of all the Caribbean beaches I've been to - which is a lot. I'm all for a chill beach day as long as it's very pretty. Think Cemetery Beach in Grand Cayman. I like both off the grid and resorts. 

Dislikes - badgering from locals selling stuff on the beach, anything that feels sketchy or dangerous (keeping in mind that my idea of dangerous is human trafficking, not some local offering me substances and going away when I decline lol). I'm not into ruins, swimming with stingrays, dolphin tours, booze cruises, tours with multiple rushed stops, tour companies that have tons of people per tour. No ziplining - one of my kids would neverrr. 

I know what I like. I've just always struggled to find it in Belize. I don't want to go cave tubing a third time, but that's where I've currently landed. Mostly because my kids have only done it once (loved it) and my bf never has. 

I'm thinking maybe Ambergis Caye, but do the pics live up to the expectation? What do you do once you're there if you prefer not to be herded around like livestock by a tour company? 

TIA! 

Edited by amandaepperson21
Wrong info entered

Maybe do  Mayan ruins tour to Lamanai.  Boat trip, and trip hike through jungle. (or at least it used to be that way).  Not your manicured set of ruins like AltunHa.  Or the somewhat cleaned up ones at Xunantunich. Ships sometimes have these but there are private ones as well.  Search this board.

You didn't say which cruise line you'll be on but if NCL, you'll be on Harvest Caye and you can take a ferry to Placencia  where the beaches are better and there's great snorkeling.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 1

Not sure if it is still open / offered, but Starfish Island may be an option. It is usually only offered through ship excursions. 

You ruled out most of the options in Belize - Mayan Ruins, Caye Caulker, Snorkeling with sharks / stingrays, Cave Tubing, Zip Lines, etc. There aren’t a lot of resorts / beach clubs with day passes near Belize City like there are in Cozumel, Costa Maya, etc. 

12 hours ago, janetz said:

Crewsweeper

How do you go about getting the ferry?

Thanks ahead 😊

On Harvest Caye there's a ferry dock.  You can buy tickets there, I am told.

In Belize City the water taxi dock is just a short walk to your left out of the Tourism Village.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:18 PM, amandaepperson21 said:

This Spring Break, my kids, boyfriend and I will be stopping at Belize City. I've gone to Caye Caulker and was very unimpressed. I've been cave tubing twice; once with the kids. We loved it, but don't really want to do it again. Boyfriend has never been to the Caribbean. I'm hoping if I provide some info on our likes and dislikes as travelers, I can get some ideas of what to do.

None of the usual ship excursions interest me. I'm a seasoned cruiser. Comfortable renting a car or hopping on a ferry boat without it being an organized excursion thru a third party company. Also ok with using a third party. I've only ever taken a ship excursion once. 

Likes - beautiful beaches, adventure, hiking, places that have a day passes with things like kayaks or paddle boats, snorkeling (especially where you can swim out from shore - we bring our own snorkels), resort day passes. But the biggie is just know I found the beaches at Caye Caulker among the most "meh" of all the Caribbean beaches I've been to - which is a lot. I'm all for a chill beach day as long as it's very pretty. Think Cemetery Beach in Grand Cayman. I like both off the grid and resorts. 

Dislikes - badgering from locals selling stuff on the beach, anything that feels sketchy or dangerous (keeping in mind that my idea of dangerous is human trafficking, not some local offering me substances and going away when I decline lol). I'm not into ruins, swimming with stingrays, dolphin tours, booze cruises, tours with multiple rushed stops, tour companies that have tons of people per tour. No ziplining - one of my kids would neverrr. 

I know what I like. I've just always struggled to find it in Belize. I don't want to go cave tubing a third time, but that's where I've currently landed. Mostly because my kids have only done it once (loved it) and my bf never has. 

I'm thinking maybe Ambergis Caye, but do the pics live up to the expectation? What do you do once you're there if you prefer not to be herded around like livestock by a tour company? 

TIA! 

You can actually do kayaking instead through the caves and see more caves then the tubes.  We booked our excursion through Shoreexcursioneer.com but I believe its VIV tours.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 8:22 AM, crewsweeper said:

On Harvest Caye there's a ferry dock to Plancenia..  You can buy tickets there, I am told.

In Belize City the water taxi dock is just a short walk to your left out of the Tourism Village.

We were in Harvest Caye in November 2022. Great place! We took the tram ride to the Caye from the ship and walked to the ferry area to go to Placencia. You cannot miss the ferry ticket area. They sell tickets for all water trips.  They sit you in a large, covered area. Note many others are waiting for numerous other events, so stay alert for the Placencia ferry is that is your choice.

Harvest Caye is beautiful, and I would go back tomorrow. We liked Placencia but would have stayed on Harvest Caye with its beautiful scenery. 

Edited by Loucat
left out Placencia information