Cupcake Decorating class

My grandkids ( 9&10) just did this on the Navigator, and were disappointed. You get one cupcake and everybody had to make the same thing (a frog). They were given different colors of fondant to make the frog to sit on top of cupcake. I don’t think it was worth the price, but others may disagree.

1 hour ago, MaryAnn261 said:

Can someone who has done this tell me about it.

How many cupcakes do you get?

Flavor choices?

Is it worth the price ($34.99)?

Thanks

We enjoyed it. 

20200309_071145.thumb.jpg.e5db820773053082d88c1f37a0d2ce96.jpg

There may have been some alcohol involved 🍷😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I had the same experience as Crzndeb while on Oasis in December. You get one vanilla cupcake, a teaspoon of blue dye, a tablespoon of white frosting and several fondant balls of different sizes and colors. We weren't even told what we were making until halfway through the class. The class leader just said - take the small grey ball of fondant and press it into a flat disk. Take the large green ball of fondant and press it into a flat disk. Now stack this disk on top of that disk. Finally about halfway through the class he let it slip that we were making a frog. If I had known that from the beginning I could have at least made a few creative choices when making the frog's eyes. When we were done the leader's frog fell apart when he held it up for view. Mine wasn't any better. So $34.99 for one vanilla cupcake with a stack of fondant circles on top is not a good value in my opinion.

I thought at least I will enjoy eating my one cupcake. I have had fondant before and enjoyed it but this not only looked like play dough, it tasted exactly like play dough. My $35 cupcake ended up in the trash after one bite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, teddybear231 said:

We are signed up to do this on our upcoming March sailing on Explorer...kind of debating if we should cancel it now based on these reviews...

The dog looks like it would be tasty.   Although, even then it is probably Crisco frosting.   

Maybe ask beforehand if it will be a fondant frog and if so, cancel.  

I think I'd have removed the cupcake paper on the dog.   The frosting on the bottom looks pretty, but I'd get it all over myself removing the paper.  

That's a shame that the cupcake class has gone so far downhill. My oldest did it twice on Freedom class ships in 2014 & 2017 and it was great (the first time both kids and my MIL did it too). They really loved it - frog and lion the first time with a very funny chef, and a detailed hamburger shape the second time (also a 2nd cupcake with simple flower decoration). One of the times, they gave us extra cupcakes from the case to take back to the room with us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

The dog looks like it would be tasty.   Although, even then it is probably Crisco frosting.   

Maybe ask beforehand if it will be a fondant frog and if so, cancel.  

I think I'd have removed the cupcake paper on the dog.   The frosting on the bottom looks pretty, but I'd get it all over myself removing the paper.  

Frosting on bottom is basically glue to keep her from toppling. Really top heavy.

Real key to the frosting is not holding the piping bag very long. Your body heat makes it runny

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

That's a shame that the cupcake class has gone so far downhill. My oldest did it twice on Freedom class ships in 2014 & 2017 and it was great (the first time both kids and my MIL did it too). They really loved it - frog and lion the first time with a very funny chef, and a detailed hamburger shape the second time (also a 2nd cupcake with simple flower decoration). One of the times, they gave us extra cupcakes from the case to take back to the room with us.

We did cheeseburgers as well. Went a total of 3 times over a 12 day TA

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Frosting on bottom is basically glue to keep her from toppling. Really top heavy.

Real key to the frosting is not holding the piping bag very long. Your body heat makes it runny

No piping bags involved on Navigator…mix color into frosting, stir, and spread on cupcake with bottom of the spoon. 😬

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Where do they usually hold the class? On Liberty I noticed they had a specific cupcake shop on the Promenade but what about other ships without this spot? Thinking DD may want to do this next year on Wonder. 

The cupcake class location on Oasis was another issue. My reservation in the Royal App indicated the class would be held in Boleros. I thought that was odd. The day of the event my class and all of the other instances of the cupcake class disappeared from the app. I wondered if it had been cancelled with no notice. I found the class being held at Sugar Beach. The majority of the participants showed up when the class was almost over because they had been waiting in Boleros.

So if you decide to take the class ask questions to confirm the location as well as the content.

• Thanks 1