How do we know what time to board and when to disembark?

smheese

Is boarding time something we are assigned or do we choose it somehow? Any advantages or disadvantages to earlier or later? 

Same for disembarkation? Is it assigned? If so, when? Can we request early or late? 

When you do your online check in, available boarding times will pop up and you choose the one you want. I know many like boarding early, rush to get that first meal. My preference is later, 1:30, usually I can go straight to the cabin and dump my carry on. I hate dragging carry on around with me on the ship. The terminal isn't as busy then either. 

You will be asked while onboard about your departure - whether flight/car, etc. and then they will assign a coloured luggage tag based on that. Or you can do walk off with all your luggage first call.

Edited by melbur
more

Just to clarify, you are not assigned a boarding time. You are assigned an arrival/ check in time. Normally you can pick that arrival time, 45 days before your cruise. When boarding begins for your cruise, suites, pinnacles, the key will usually board first, and then they will call numbers, which you receive when you check in. The earlier check in time, the earlier number you will get to board. In most cases, boarding will begin sometime between 10-11am if no other circumstances delay it.

Many want to get on the ship ASAP, but you will have to tote your carry on’s around until cabins open between 1-2pm. Others like to wait until the crowds board and arrive after cabins are open. 

Edited by crzndeb

As stated above, you can select arrival time online (or in app) starting 45 days before departure.

The procedure also varies once you get to the specific port. On a recent Anthem cruise out of New Jersey, other than Suites, Pinnacles, Key, no one verified a time. They just checked you in and had you sit row-by-row, then boarded row-by-row. Other ports may be more strict about time slots.

For departure, you will have an opportunity while on your cruise to select self-assist (on Anthem we could select a time range), or indicate flight info, etc. to determine an appropriate luggage tag and time (for non self-assist).

Debarkation morning you will need to be out of your cabin by 8 or sometimes 8:30. You can then wait in the Promenade or one of the showrooms until your luggage tag number is called. If you self disembark you need to be in line by 6:30 or so.  Ship is usually totally cleared by 9:30. Windjammer is open for breakfast from 6 to 8. You can ask your cabin steward or guest services for a different luggage tag number if you need to be off earlier than your tag calls for. 

13 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Debarkation morning you will need to be out of your cabin by 8 or sometimes 8:30. You can then wait in the Promenade or one of the showrooms until your luggage tag number is called. If you self disembark you need to be in line by 6:30 or so.  Ship is usually totally cleared by 9:30. Windjammer is open for breakfast from 6 to 8. You can ask your cabin steward or guest services for a different luggage tag number if you need to be off earlier than your tag calls for. 

We never leave our cabin before 9 am. We walk off anytime we want with our luggage.