Muster Drill Question

johnrich

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Clearly some are emotionally attached to the old fashioned muster drill and do not wish to think that it can be improved.

If by emotionally attached you mean, do I think that the old muster will save more lives than the new style?  Then call me attached.  Is this based on whether it is comfortable for passengers, or from many years of handling training and maritime emergencies?  It is the latter.

7 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I'm fine with doing something for safety that makes sense, but the old way we did muster drills was not good or informative...just a checkbox to tick off for the cruiseline and usually an uncomfortable 20+ minutes for passengers. 

And, if you've read what else goes on during the passenger muster, you might not think it a waste of time, or ineffective.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Oh, but I do get that it's about saving lives.  I want a better way than standing on an exposed promenade deck participating in clearly ineffective lectures and demonstrations.

What? You need to review the safety procedures. What other things than safety are you looking for?

Your observations about exposed decks and ineffective lecture are pretty unreasonable.

Maritime saftey laws are made for a reason.

It is not the cruiselines fault that people do not want to listen or believe they do not need to listen to the safety policies. These are the desparate people during an emergency. Is this you?

Maybe you have cruised to much and seen too many drills that you believe they are not necessary. If you have not had to use the safety procedures you are lucky, not everyone has. People have died. It is not for entertainment.

There are lots of new cruisers that need this information; even if you already know this information it may save other lives. New cruisers do listen.

Let it go.

Safe cruising all!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

Being summoned to a muster station isn't always to abandon ship.  Every emergency is different.  They want you to muster, account for everyone and then further instructions will be given. Getting in a lifeboat is one reason, but it doesn't have to be the only reason to have to muster.

Wouldn't it be safe to say that getting into a lifeboat is usually not the outcome of a real call to muster?

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

Wouldn't it be safe to say that getting into a lifeboat is usually not the outcome of a real call to muster?

Yep.  It's not very often you see lifeboats being deployed an emergency situation at sea. 

The general saying is "step up into a life raft" not "step down into a life raft". It's not that literal,  but the premise is if the ship is still floating, you are better off staying on the ship as it's an easier vessel to see than a smaller vessel like a life raft.

• Thanks 1