Why I Choose Oceania for my 1st Mediterranean Cruise by an Oceania Newbie

Sthrngary

Disclaimer

This is NOT a simple or short post or op-ed.  It is my story, outlining an experience with a conclusion of why my wife, friends and I chose Oceania Cruises. My writing style is long and detailed, and I am not everyone’s reading style taste.

My spelling and grammar are not the best, but I try to make that up with somewhat of an entertaining story that makes sense for a good cross section of cruise clients. 

You have been forewarned, lol.

Op-Ed Topics:

• History of the Decision

• History with Oceania

• First Cruise As Covid-19 Seem to Die Down

• Second Cruise As Covid-19 Seem to Die Down

• Leveraging Past Cruise Experiences

• Have to Haves

• Nice to Haves

• Willing to Leave Out

• Questions Asked and Answered

• Conclusion

History of the Decision:

The cruising industry has taken some wild rides over the past few decades.  Life has not always been smooth sailing.  However, nothing has been as devastating as Covid-19 for the industry.  All major companies have had to take huge losses and borrow endless amounts of money.  Some iconic brands like Crystal Cruises are no more, and mainstream brands have had to sell older ships. Recently cost-cutting measures and price increases have been the order of the day.

The social media emotional focused information on cruising the last few years ranged from disbelief, anger, sadness, excitement, and joy.  Topics would come up like; “should I take Future Cruise Credits (FCC) or a full cash refund.”  Speculations that we would never get our money back because the industry was going bankrupt. Political arguments and hate talk started happening on a social media blog site for cruising.  The moderators warned postings that were pollical would be shut down.  People were angry, frustrated, and confused.

Finally cruising started up again.  It was a very slow transition of one ship at a time.  It was not as smooth as we cruise lovers might have wanted but it did happen.  The notion of changes started to take place on things from Buffets, Masking, Testing, Hygiene, and Vaccinations Status.  You never knew if you got on a ship if you had to wear a mask or not; so, this led to more anger and disappointment. Yet again slowly things started to ease up when the guests started to feel safe again.

You may ask, how did the three (3) previous paragraphs relate to the headline topic.  The answer is simply it was my personal experience during this time which when you read this op-ed might seem like your own.  My family and I had five (5) cruise cancellations and rebooking. I personally got good at rebooking.  I used to book two (2) cruises at a time hoping one would stay in the books. I was afraid and should have been, that the prices of fares would go up and it would make my FCC worth far less than the original cash I paid. Finally, a feeling of hope in mid-2021.  For the first time, we all had hope and prices were initially reasonable.  Add to this some premium-plus and luxury lines were reasonably priced teasing new clients to come aboard. I am a sucker for a great deal claiming to enhance my cruise vacation experience.

History with Oceania:

I originally had Oceania Booked for a 10-day Mediterranean Cruise on the Marina in October 2020.  The folks we were going with were older, so out of caution, they just cancelled the cruise, so we did as well.  Oceania sent us back our deposits within 10 days.  I was shocked and impressed by how quickly they did that.  I was also very disappointed to miss this “Once-In-A-Lifetime-Experience”.  I did a lot of research before we chose Oceania.  That time invested was now a waste.  We also got a four-category upgrade on the cruise which gave both couples a Penthouse and all the amenities that brings.  I figured that was a rare situation and thought it would NEVER happen again. My advice is, “Never say Never!”.

First Cruise As Covid-19 Seem to Die Down:

Finally, a cruising happened, and I wanted to cruise badly.  My first cruise was a first timer on Crystal Cruise (Went out of business and has recently been purchased).  They had a 7-day cruise in the Bahama’s.  It was priced less than what I was used to when cruising the NCL Haven.  The loyal long-term Crystal Guests on social media were kind and open to new people it would seem, and my questions were answered online within a few minutes.  I rolled the dice on Crystal. It would seem all the cards were looking perfect, and we even got a complementary upgrade from the upgrade fairy.  Then 8-days before this cruise, my wife got Covid-19.  I had to cancel, and my penalty was 50% of my cruise fare.  Luckily, this was the first cruise out of 25 cruises that I purchased Cruise Travel Insurance. All my losses were in my checking account in 15 business days. I would rather be lucky than smart any day of the year. We booked for the next month, and my wife was fine. 

I called this cruise on Crystal Cruises, a Premium-Plus/Luxury Cruise, a “Luxury Cruise Test Drive”.  7-days, out and back to/from Miami, and itinerary was the Bahamas vs. Europe, small ship vs. mega ship, known for dining and personalized service. I wanted to see what I had been missing all these years.

“Watch out for what you ask for, you just might get it.”  Just not the result you were looking for when you began.  Here are some comparisons to what I had enjoyed in the past:

·        Dining/Food: The dining was much better and exceeded our expectations.

·        Service Received: Personalized Service was WAY better than I have ever expected it to be, especially if you had a butler. Our butler was heads and tails better than anyone before.

·        Bars/Lounges: Drinks and Bar services was outstanding.  No more waiting for drinks that tasted watered down.  Every drink was just as it was supposed to be.  The service was personalized and consistent.

·        Ship Capacity: The capacity was 25%, which on a ship that holds 900 is not much.  I thought this would make this experience even better.  Almost like a personal yacht. I was wrong, it was horrible.  There was no energy.  The ship was empty. Most of who were on the ship were the most loyal of Crystal brand loyal guests.  I found a few of them to have a horrible attitude of entitlement.  Like the brand owed them something or they were a major stockholder in the brand.  Open and loud complaints made my wife and I feel uncomfortable. 

·        Bad Time Of The Year: With five (5) ports we only went to two (2) ports, and they were empty.  Even in those ports, our excursions were cancelled yet other ships went on that same excursion, the same day.  All my wife wanted to do was “swim with the pigs”.  It was, as you can expect, cancelled. Crystal refunded the cancelled excursion immediately to my suite account. The disappointment was still there.

·        Music On Board: Live music or otherwise during the day was somewhat limited.  At the pool, it was one (1) hour per day and the volume was so low you could hardly hear it.  It was also a DJ doing Sinatra Music. There were only six (6) people at the pool so getting a lounge chair was no issue for the first time in my cruising life.  Yet a long-time Crystal brand couple told the DJ the music was too loud.  One hour per day, Sinatra tunes and the music was too loud by the only pool.

·        Entertainment: The entertainment was hit or miss but those loyal Crystal brand guests would sit in the first three (3) rows and howl like it was a Rolling Stones Live Concert.  My wife sat in the back so we could leave if the show was not good.  We left almost every show which we never do on NCL ships.  Disappointing but gave us a huge difference between large and small ships for the future. This allowed us to set realistic expectations for smaller ships in the future.

Conclusion:  We love some things and hate others.  What we loved was not enough to make up for what we hated.  A cruise ship for my wife and I must have a level of energy which cannot be found with 25% capacity.  That is the exact opposite of what you might think.  The cruise was boring.  However, it also set the bar higher for Dining/Food and Personalized Service in the future.

Second Cruise As Covid-19 Seem to Die Down:

The second cruise was finally taken with my family of five (5) at the end of November 2021.  The week after Thanksgiving which was done strategically on purpose to have less children on board.  This cruise was the replacement for the family vacation that was cancelled five (5) times. We were on the NCL Joy, the second week it cruised after Covid-19.  The ship had 50% capacity.  We used all the FCC and discounts from other cancelled cruises to book a “Stateroom of a Lifetime.”  We got the NCL Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  1,500 SF, two bedrooms and three baths.  Only two on board and we had one of them.  My children had never stayed in NCL Haven so it would be their first experience in the “Ship-Within-A-Ship” experience.  My adult daughter was upset because she wanted her own stateroom with her partner with a small balcony.  The Haven VIP experience was not her focus at all, yet she knew nothing about it. NCL best values is the 3-5 guest if they can fit into your suite, go for a small fee or just taxes.  It was less to get to the Haven VIP area and the Owner Suite than two separate staterooms with balconies taking the discounts provided.  During this cruise I went all out.  We also got the NCL Premium Plus Beverage Package which at the time made a huge positive difference.  More on this a bit later when comparing drink packages.  So, what did I learn:

·        Stateroom Size:  This stateroom/Haven Owners Suite was huge.  It was so big we found extra storage we did not even know we had when we were leaving.  The balcony was so big, the private area only accessible from the Master Bedroom was never used.  What I learned was this room was nice, but in most cases wasted space.  The fare I got was a lucky move.  The other Owner Suite was being sold for thousands of dollars more for our cruise date as it became close to departure.  So was it worth the money at normal retail, not in my opinion.  This was a “do it once and be done.”

·        Shows: Outstanding and no issue in gaining a great seat.  You still needed reservations, but it was no big deal.  Some of the best shows I have ever seen on the sea. Yet, missed some shows because we were tired from the day.  I not that now to be brought back up later.

·        Food/Dining:  In the Haven Restaurant which is private for only Haven Suite Guests.  It was good, excellent service, limited menu that never changed and, in many cases, better than the Specialty Restaurants. The issue was it took forever to eat a meal.  Any meal from Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.   The specialty restaurants were hit or miss with of venues disappointing whereas before covid-19, they were very good.  A great example of disappointments was the French Restaurant.

·        Drinks/Bar:  I noticed that the best bar on the ship was in the private Haven Area.  They had everything I wanted and loved.  Everything was made fresh, and the drinks were a new level of better than any other bar on the ship.  Let us remind ourselves of something.  The ship held over 4,000 guests with just 200 in the Haven VIP area. 

·        Suite Amenities: This was the only suite onboard that provided complementary soft drinks and three bottles of spirits.  When you arrived, they had French Champagne vs. sparkling wine.  It also had a 24/7 butler which has been hit or miss on previous voyages.  This time it was a butler that was just, OK.

·        Drink Packages:  The fare came with a drink package that was NOT really free.  It costs you 20% of the retail price used for giving the crew tips.  The perk drink package did not include fresh juices, bottled water, specialty coffee’s (Haven Guest got specialty coffee regardless of drink package), energy drinks, bottle wine of any kind, and all drinks had to be $15.00 or less.  Celebrity Cruises’ drink plan is much better. In addition, the drink prices were inflated.  If you wanted premium spirits and all wines by the glass regardless of cost; plus, those exceptions above, you had to upgrade your drink package.  The upgrade was fair for this trip but NOT so a mere 8 months later. 

·        Personalized Service: In the Haven area it was very nice.  Not over the top, just very nice.  When you left the Haven, it was average to below average.  Made you want to simply say in the Haven area. If that is the case, just go on a smaller ship with the entire ship providing the same personalized services as the Haven.  Sound familiar?

·        Nickle and Diming:  Seemed every announcement was about a way the ship could make some more money.  The spa did not make it clear that the tip was added automatically into the very expensive price.  The announcements for Bingo or other games like that were constant.  It was hard to walk by the stores without someone reaching out attempting to sell what they had.  Even in the specialty restaurants, if you wanted a Crab Cake starter it was additional. Luxury Suite, Luxury Area, Private Dining Room, and Nickle and Dining all the time.  Took some of the Class and Luxury out of the cruise.

Conclusion:  Larger ship, more people with lots more energy and excitement.  The consistency of food, drink and personalized service was hit or miss.  That said, it was one of the best cruises of my life.  The reason was simple, I have my entire family with us.  Cruising with your spouse and with your entire family makes a difference positive difference.  Our next cruise will be with our best friends.

Leveraging Past Cruising Experiences:

Just for a moment, consider that you had a similar experience to mine.  You could list on a piece of paper what you loved, liked, disliked, and hated.  Realistically you knew you could NOT have everything, so you asked yourself, “what were you willing to give up”?  The list became, Have to Haves, Nice to Have, and Willing to Live Without.

Have to Have:

·        Enhanced Food and Dining Experience:  Not just variety, but also service, ambience, food quality and presentation.  How about a brand that claims the best food at sea experience and their social media realistically for the most part supports that claim. Oceania makes the cut.

·        Specialty Restaurants:  No extra charge and reservations priority was based on stateroom category.  A few guaranteed reservations (one per specialty restaurant for a total of four) and others potential reservations that are space available.  Add in if the restaurant is booked, you can still have it served in your suite if you have a Penthouse or above. No items on the menu that have an extra charge like on NCL. Oceania makes the cut.

·        Drink Programs:  With an exclusive ship in a Premium-Plus or Luxury category, with a port/itinerary intensive agenda, with an older crowd (55 and above); drinking to excess is NOT the priority.  Most folks on this kind of cruise want an occasional cocktail before dinner at a nice bar/lounge. Oceania had a happy hour each day which has “two for one drink”.   Some folks want to have a nice glass of wine at dinner which is one of the three perks most guest can select from. This was a very popular option again provided by Oceania. Then there are those that want an open bar of beer, wine, and spirits anytime they want them.  Therefore, Oceania is a brand that does not include a beverage package in the original fare, yet you can choose it as your optional perk (Beer and Wine at meals only). A brand that can provide this without a forty (40) page manual on the rules would be a nice change from mainstream cruise brands. Every drink is made of fresh ingredients with care by a great bartender. Oceania makes the cut.

·        A Coffee House:  Crystal Cruises had a coffee lounge with snacks.  The specialty coffee was over the top and much better than any Starbucks on recent NCL ships that had a cost unless you upgraded your drink package.  The coffee house snacks were super nice and great quality. It was always complementary which included fresh juices.  NCL did not have this as part of your fare. Crystal did have this complementary.  Oceania does have this as part of its fare.  Oceania makes the cut.

·        Stateroom with a Balcony:  The balcony needs to be comfortable but not oversized.  Two (2) guests in the room and a space that is comfortable for those two (2) guests.  The furniture is another story.  It should also be comfortable, which is not always the case.  The stateroom on Oceania even in the Penthouse, has only one sink in the bathroom. I found that to be a bit different, however not critical.  My hopes are with the drydocking on the Riviera this may change. Either way, Oceania makes the cut.

·        Social Media:  Access to past cruisers who can answer questions as they came up.  The fact these loyal clients are warm to newcomers is very important.  It is also important that not every post shares that their brand is perfect. Another words, the past guests are realistic so a new client’s expectations can be realistic.  Oceania makes the cut.

Nice to Have:

·        Smaller Ship: When choosing the Mediterranean, you want as much time at a port as possible. The larger ships can’t park near most ports, so they must use tenders more often.  I personally hate tenders.  A smaller ship is less likely to need to have to tender.  The smaller ship has less space and less guests.  Crystal Cruises taught me that the size of the ship is in direct proportion to the number of guests.  It did not feel smaller, and it always felt less crowded. The ship was smaller, but you just can’t tell the difference.  Sure, no water slides or go-cart tracks, however those were more of a novelty.   Oceania makes the cut.

·        Enrichment Programs:  We are more than willing to trade some huge expensive production shows and entertainment for educational activities.  My wife and I love to cook together at home.  We love learning new ways to make a lovely dish.  Cooking classes, even if I must pay for them, is something I would look forward to.  Special Guest Speakers in a field would be interesting and yes, I could give up the belly flop contest for being mentally stimulated.  We all realize, not all well-informed speakers will be excellent speakers.  Oceania made the cut.

·        Afternoon Tea:  I had afternoon tea on another ship brand.  It was a very relaxing and nice experience.  I have also read some of the most recent reviews about the newer experiences of afternoon tea in Oceania.  This is a “nice to have” and we most likely not see the flaws some of the most loyal Oceania Guest have seen.  The reason is obvious.  We have no reference point.  I was the only one of the four (4) traveling guest to partake of an afternoon tea and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The one thing that is clear is the experience will simply be different.  Not good or bad, just different. Oceania made the cut.

·        Stocked Mini-Fridge:  Such a little thing but so frustrating on mainstream brands.  The two and only times we had a filled mini fridge of complementary soft drinks was when we had the NCL Haven Deluxe Owners Suite and the Penthouse Suite on Crystal.  Oceania provides soft drinks in the Mini-Fridge that are complementary, however that does not include beer, wine, and spirits.  The main reason for this is those items are a choice or upgrade option.  That limitation is just fine.  I love having water, juices, and soda available for the entire cruise.  Oceania makes the cut.

Willing to Leave Out:

·        Entertainment: Both my wife and I loved the entertainment on the larger NCL ships.  They usually had a Broadway type show like “Kinky Boots” and a dance or variety show. The quality was excellent compared to other shows on other ships.  Those larger ships of 4,000 plus guests have the space and resources to have this kind of show.  We fully understand that the evening large production shows will not compare to the shows we have come to be used to.  Our expectations are low, yet we hope to be surprised yet doubt that will happen.

·        Late Night Entertainment:  I am smiling while I am writing this one.  The older my wife and I get, the more we go to sleep early.  The days of a midnight show, or the midnight buffet (remember those) are long gone.  Instead, a night cap about 09:00 PM and maybe the 09:30 PM main shows might be all she wrote.  We are more than willing to trade those high-end shows for a piano playing smooth jazz in a lounge. Therefore, not a loss for us like not having a vegan restaurant is for a steak lover.  It just doesn't matter as it relates to our needs.

·        Great Internet:  At home, we are all chained to the Wi-Fi and internet.  Whether emails, text, social media are all a big part of our lives.  Decades ago, the Internet used to be either unavailable or super expensive to have on a ship.  In my research it seems Oceania has horrible, inconsistant Wi-Fi internet.  This includes retrofit/recently drydocked ships like the Riviera.  We would love to have better internet however also appreciate we know upfront; it would be bad.  Our expectations of the Wi-Fi Internet are extremely low.  That makes them have realistic expectations.  I will make this fact clear to all joining our group on this cruise. 

·        Mega Ship Activities:  Gone are the water slides, go-cart tracks, Lasor Tag, and Virtual Reality Areas.  Gone are the Mr. Sexy Legs competition, Belly Flops, and the “Not So Newlywed Games”.  In are Gin, Bridge, Very Competitive Trivia Games, and Enrichment Activities.  That is different, and completely OK.  The best part is we know the rules to activities on this kind of cruising experience from the get-go. Creating realistic expectations is so very important with vacations like this. 

Questions Asked and Answered:

Those that know my vacation preparation style also know that it has been flawed in the past.  Three (3) years of waiting for a cruise you booked makes visualizing the perfect cruise an unhealthy habit.  Then since you re-lived this perfect experience in your head so many times, it is anticlimactic and even disappointing when it happens.  I am extremely guilty of that mindset and learned from my past mistakes.  I no longer use my thoughts to go through every aspect of my upcoming cruise vacation experiences before they happen.  Instead, all I want to know are simple high hard ones.  Some of my list will make you laugh but they are the things that make a difference to us.

1.      When can I book my four (4) guaranteed Specialty Restaurant reservations?

a.      Answer: Based on being in a Penthouse, 75 days to 7 days prior to boarding if the cruise is paid in full.

2.      When is the best time to request additional specialty reservations when on board?

a.      Answer:  The moment you get on-board.  The challenge is which one of the restaurants do we want to have those extra meals at.  We have no reference other than social media reviews.  Also, not everyone loves red meat like I do.  Not every love Asian like my wife does. To please everyone will take a vote. Voting for something you have never experienced is not the best move and we all accept that.

3.      Where is the coffee shop located as it relates to my stateroom?

a.      Answer: I will obviously use the deck plan on the Oceania website.  This becomes a priority after boarding, making additional specialty restaurant reservations and determining physically where our stateroom is located.  Taking a tour of a new ship is a highlight for me.

4.      Where is the cigar lounge located on the ship?

a.      Answer: The same approach as the location of the Coffee Shop.  On this small room, I am not expecting much.  Just glad to have a place to have my cigar and not disturb others.

5.      When are the docking and departures for each port and are they tendered?

a.      Answer: This is located on my Microsoft Excel Calendar Page-at-a-Glance. Clearly posted on the Oceania Website. This also gives us a framework for doing our own excursions.

6.      When does the main show start at night so making restaurant reservations times makes sense?

a.      Answer: 09:30 PM seems to be a consensus from social media.

7.      Where can my wife get a Jigsaw puzzle which she is addicted to?

a.      Answer: The Library. I hope she is engaged with her friends and myself so we can finally skip the Jigsaw puzzling.  This might be too much to ask of her, LOL.

8.      Where will my favorite lounge/bar be located?

a.      Answer:  This is trial and error. I am an expert on this.  Or I am more than willing to be the team that finds the best place.  My hopes are a nice atmosphere, piano or smooth jazz band, very comfortable seating for four.

9.      How should my wife and I handle obtaining the Premier Wine, Beer, and Spirits package?

a.      Answer: The first choice was to take the Drink Package as one of three perks.  Then upgrade once we got on the ship.  It seems although not confirmed that Oceania changed to pricing/method for the upgrade at the first day of this year.  We decided to simply choose the Premier Wine, Beer and Spirits Drink Package now so making the decision quick and easy. 

10.   When to choose the Cooking Classes we want to take?

a.      Answer:  I will book them within the next month.  It was made clear these event book up.  The worst case is we cancel them within the policy deadlines.

Pricing and Value:

Prior to booking our first Oceania Cruise cancelled three years ago, I did an Excel Comparison leveraging other brands and cabin categories.  This helped with my past experiences with the NCL Haven, Celebrity Retreat, MSC Yacht Club, Crystal Cruise (coming back soon) and also cabins outside these brands upper levels.  I did this process again recently and the task was NOT the easiest “Page-At-A-Glance” I have ever done. Every cruise brand prices out differently.  Every stateroom category might have different amenities, policies, or rules.  Each of the brand marketing teams really confuse you with how they share the information. Then we added Premium-Plus/Luxury Brands.  Initially we added ultra-luxury brands like Regent Seven Seas and Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection. Those brands were eliminated for initial investment alone.

The creation of this excel is my way of taking a deep dive into what different brands provide and don’t provide.  You would think capturing this information could be just a well-designed google search and you would be wrong.  There is nothing easy about this due diligence.  Yet it is ultra-rewarding and interesting when completed.

The results might just surprise you; I know it did me.  Here is some information I obtained, and you can make your own determination. Worst case it helps you on your due diligence.

Oceania Riviera: November 9, 2023 – 10 Days

·        Penthouse (PH3):                    $7,398.00—No Air--per couple; $8,656.00—No Air/Unlim WiFi/Complementary Specialty Restaurants/Gratuities/PLUS Pre-Cruise Hotel in Athens; $10,656.00—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Thoughts: Additional costs will be excursions. This ship has just been drydocked with a major facelift including staterooms and public areas.  The Penthouse level is the equivalent of the NCL Haven or the Celebrity Retreat type suites.  Like the Haven and Retreat, an Oceania Penthouse has a personal butler.  In additions the mini fridge has complementary soft drinks, juices and water unlike mainstream cruise brands.  Access to the Thermal Spa is complementary plus a privet sundeck as well as hot tub in front of the ship which is part of the Penthouse stateroom. Oceania gives you one of three perks.  We chose the $600.00 on board credit which we used to purchase one of two Prestige Wine, Beer, and Spirits package. This Penthouse pricing was during a four (4) category upgrade sale for Labor Day which saved each couple more than $2,000.00 plus.

NCL Breakaway: October 3, 2023 – 10 Days

·        Non-Haven Club Balcony Suite:         $7,521.70—No Air--per couple; $8,031.70—No Air/Unlim WiFi/Two additional specialty Restaurants/Gratuities; $9,239.70—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Haven Spa Suite:       $12,583.40—No Air--per couple; $13,163.40— No Air/Unlim WiFi/Two additional specialty Restaurants/Gratuities; $14,371.40—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Thoughts: None of these fares include a pre-cruise hotel. I have recently cruised on this ship.  I was less than impressed with the ship, dining/bars, and personalized service in the Club Suites.  The Haven was much better, however not worth the premium that was required to be a Haven Guest. The one positive was the Haven Spa Suite gave unlimited access to the indoor thermal spa area which if not in a spa suite would have been a premium. Even when staying in the Haven, the personalized service simply ends when you leave this premium Haven area to utilize the rest of the ship.

NCL Viva: October 28, 2023 – 9 Days

·        Non-Haven Balcony Spa Suite:           $8,266.00—No Air--per couple; $9,001.00—No Air/Unlim WiFi/Two additional specialty Restaurants/Gratuities; $10,209.00—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Standard Haven Suite:                          $14,968.70—No Air--per couple; $15,736.70— No Air/Unlim WiFi/Two additional specialty Restaurants/Gratuities; $16,944.70—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Thoughts: None of the fares include pre-cruise hotel. The Viva would be the newest NCL ship.  This would be a nine (9) day cruise vs. a ten (10) day cruise. The Standard room still had thermal spa access however the Haven Suite did not. The Viva sister ship the NCL Prima is getting very good reviews.  Even when staying in the Haven, the personalized service simply ends when you leave this premium area to utilize the rest of the ship.

Celebrity Apex: October 23, 2023 – 10 days

·        Veranda Class Suite:                             $7,115.85—No Air--per couple; $7,504.85—No Air/Unlim WiFi/Two additional specialty Restaurants/Gratuities; $10,004.85—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Prime Concierge Class:                          $7,977.84—No Air--per couple; $8,366.84— No Air/Unlim WiFi/Two additional specialty Restaurants/Gratuities; $10,866.84—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Retreat Sky Suite:                                   $12,263.85—No Air--per couple; $12,412.85— No Air/Unlim WiFi/Two additional specialty Restaurants/Gratuities; $14,912.85—With Coach Restricted Air/Transfers.

·        Thoughts: None of the fares include pre-cruise hotel. The Apex is one of the newer Celebrity Ships.  None of the staterooms have the Thermal Spa but it can be purchased for an additional amount.  Even when staying in the Retreat, the personalized service simply ends when you leave this premium area to utilize the rest of the ship.

Conclusion:

I also looked at Viking, Ritz-Carlton, and Regent Seven Seas.  Viking was competitive but you would not have the same size accommodation nor butler.  The Ritz-Carton was only 7 days with an investment of second highest.  Regent was the highest investment to being both ultra-luxury and truly all-inclusive.  This was before and especially after Business Class airfare and not in a Penthouse level so no butler. The conclusion was rather obvious that the best value in the areas I had as my Have to Haves and Nice to Haves; was by far Oceania Cruises.

The Final Word:

When I write a detailed op-ed like this one, it takes weeks.  I read it and re-read it.  I look for ways to make my points better.  I enjoy the process yet never forget not everyone will agree with my findings and opinions.  When I started posting on CruiseCritic.com, I would make a statement of fact and folks would challenge my facts.  That is when I developed the detailed writing style.  I make mistakes all the time so please feel free to challenge me if what I am saying contradicts with your knowledge or experience.

My hope is I helped others especially the many posts that start with, “I am new to Oceania.”  I will do just as detailed review after my cruise is completed.  I no longer do a “Live” blog because it took away from my vacation experience.  Now I handwrite notes.  After I return, I am or add to my op-ed.  From an obligation standpoint, I do a condensed version under the reviews for the brand and ship in CruiseCritic.com.

Please comment, add to the information provided, call out flaws/mistakes so the information is accurate for all readers.  Remember, this was written by someone who has NEVER cruised on Oceania.  It is from my perspective only and is what gave me the confidence to book the cruise.  I am no expert except for what I have had in the past and want in the future.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

3.      Where is the coffee shop located as it relates to my stateroom?

a.      Answer: I will obviously use the deck plan on the Oceania website.  This becomes a priority after boarding, making additional specialty restaurant reservations and determining physically where our stateroom is located.  Taking a tour of a new ship is a highlight for me.

😅I am literally choosing our next cabin based on the ease of accessing Baristas.

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

7.      Where can my wife get a Jigsaw puzzle which she is addicted to?

a.      Answer: The Library. I hope she is engaged with her friends and myself so we can finally skip the Jigsaw puzzling.  This might be too much to ask of her, LOL.

Also check the game room. Puzzles seem to wander.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

You can’t smoke cigars in the indoor smoking area on O, you will need to use the smoking area on the pool deck. 

Thank you for sharing.  I thought there was a cigar lounge but I must have been mistaken.  I will simply skip cigars for this voyage.  I appreciate your comment.

16 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

2.      When is the best time to request additional specialty reservations when on board?

a.      Answer:  The moment you get on-board.  The challenge is which one of the restaurants do we want to have those extra meals at.  We have no reference other than social media reviews.  

You can only request  extra seating on the DAY  that  you want to dine   there

You may get a table if  space  is available

Go each morning  to the reservations desk & ask to be put on the list

Embarkation day booking   just ask what Restaurant   they have space  available  that evening

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You can only request extra seating on the DAY that you want to dine there

You may get a table if space is available

Go each morning to the reservations desk & ask to be put on the list

Embarkation day booking   just ask what Restaurant   they have space available that evening

My wife doesn't like Asian food, so no Red Ginger for her. When we embarked, that first day, we changed our Day 9 Red Ginger reservation for one in Tuscan Grille. We gave up the Red Ginger and added the Tuscan Grille. On Day 1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Embarkation day booking   just ask what Restaurant   they have space  available  that evening

@LHT28 I am honored you took the time to comment on my post and once again; you helped me with the most important thing a new brand guest can have.  The ability to make realistic expectations.  The policy on gaining more specialty restaurant reservation makes complete sense.  Your response also supports that when I do make my choices, the first night of embarkment will not be one of the days I request.  When I board, I will attempt an additional reservation for one of the four places for that first night.  I will find out what everyone wants but regardless of obtaining that new reservation, my gut tells me "The Grand Dining Room" will also be a nice choice. 

Thank you again for taking the time.

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

My wife doesn't like Asian food, so no Red Ginger for her. When we embarked, that first day, we changed our Day 9 Red Ginger reservation for one in Tuscan Grille. We gave up the Red Ginger and added the Tuscan Grille. On Day 1.

Where as my wife LOVES Asian.  On the Tuscan Grille, thank you for endorsing it.

Thanks Gary for an informative, insightful and highly readable post. We too are O newbies with our first cruise on Regatta in May - our first return to cruising since the Regent Explorer in January 2020 just prior to the pandemic. After many years of mainstream sailing we tried Silversea/Crystal and Regent and to date our favorite line has been Regent but the prices have become prohibitive recently. Based on really good comments primarily on CC over the past few years we decided to give O a try and look forward to our upcoming experience.

Thanks again for an interesting read and trust your cruise is a good one!

Cheers,

Rob

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Where as my wife LOVES Asian.  On the Tuscan Grille, thank you for endorsing it.

Just to point out  Tuscan Steak  is only on Sirena  all the other ships have Toscana

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just to point out  Tuscan Steak  is only on Sirena  all the other ships have Toscana

My point being that on DAY 1 embarkation we were adjusting where we ate on DAY 9. We added the Tuscan Grille reservation on Day 1 for Day 9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Robroy said:

Thanks Gary for an informative, insightful and highly readable post. We too are O newbies with our first cruise on Regatta in May - our first return to cruising since the Regent Explorer in January 2020 just prior to the pandemic. After many years of mainstream sailing we tried Silversea/Crystal and Regent and to date our favorite line has been Regent but the prices have become prohibitive recently. Based on really good comments primarily on CC over the past few years we decided to give O a try and look forward to our upcoming experience.

Thanks again for an interesting read and trust your cruise is a good one!

Cheers,

Rob

@Robroy Thank you for your kind words.  As you can see from other posts, I was off on somethings and the kind folks one the Oceania board correct me.  This helps any new brand guest with strategy.  My original choice for this "Once in a Lifetime" cruising experience was Regent. Our best friends are joining us so I had to be very careful with the over all budget which makes Regent not an option.  I can clearly see what Regent was one of your best experiences.

I also want to add, my go to cruises have been the VIP area's on Mainstream Cruise Brands like NCL, MSC, and Celebrity.  The cost cutting even in these area's on those brands along with increased fares made them a consideration but not the best choice.  Sad.  I wish all brands would understand that if they want to increase prices to hold quality please feel free to do so.  To decrease quality and still increase fares is not acceptable.  

You are the targeted audience I was going for with my op-ed.  Folks looking for a change, having a hard time gaining information and willing to do some due diligences to gain the experience that is realistic to their specific needs. Glad to assist.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2023 at 5:41 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

"Also check the game room."

Wait, Oceania ships have game rooms?

I know about the libraries and card rooms, but I had not heard about game rooms. (Of course, if card rooms ARE the game rooms, I apologize for my misunderstanding.)

All ships, or just some?

Many different games?

Board games in good shape?

Thank you, in advance, for any information you can share about Oceania game rooms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Wait, Oceania ships have game rooms? I know about the libraries and card rooms, but I had not heard about game rooms. (Of course, if card rooms ARE the game rooms, I apologize for my misunderstanding.) 

All ships, or just some?

Many different games?

Board games in good shape?....

Riviera and Marina have a board/card game room aft of Baristas on deck 14. Tables and chairs with some board games (very limited selection). The smaller ships have a card/board game room forward on deck 9. Being very active in my local area board gaming group for the past 11 years and with my own collection in the hundreds of games, I make sure to bring some of my own for my wife & I to play 2 player.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

"Being very active in my local area board gaming group for the past 11 years and with my own collection in the hundreds of games, I make sure to bring some of my own for my wife & I to play 2 player."

That is quite the collection. We have a good many board games, but far fewer than your multitude. I'd probably be more of a board game collector, were it not for my affinity towards TTRPGs. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2023 at 2:51 PM, LHT28 said:

Hi

Oceania newbie here.

So, can you ask the concierge to do this for you? I know we are off the ship quite often at the times lots that concierge level (is it 11am to 1pm) can go to the reservations desk to  attempt to get an extra speciality night (I have already reserved my four).

As always, grateful for advice for this in the know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigCheese1 said:

Hi

Oceania newbie here.

So, can you ask the concierge to do this for you? I know we are off the ship quite often at the times lots that concierge level (is it 11am to 1pm) can go to the reservations desk to  attempt to get an extra speciality night (I have already reserved my four).

As always, grateful for advice for this in the know.

The Concierge in the lounge  works  limited hours  but  sure ask them if you are there

I would just go to the  desk on deck 5  early  or even when you return to the ship after being ashore

It is  a crap shoot  whether you get extra slots or not  unless you are in a top suite (OS OC VS)

JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The Concierge in the lounge  works  limited hours  but  sure ask them if you are there

I would just go to the  desk on deck 5  early  or even when you return to the ship after being ashore

It is  a crap shoot  whether you get extra slots or not  unless you are in a top suite (OS OC VS)

JMO

Hi LHT28. Thanks for response. Oh, I hadn’t realised it was tricky to get those spaces, I’m thinking that’s what you mean by “c**p shoot”! Ha ha English English vs Canadian English…….
Well,  we’ll do what we can. In any case we have the x4 reservations and I can see that the GDR will be pretty acceptable!  Or even the grill at the Terrace sounds smashing. On other lines we don’t normally do the Buffett for supper, but the Terrace sounds nice for a change. Thanks again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigCheese1 said:

Hi LHT28. Thanks for response. Oh, I hadn’t realised it was tricky to get those spaces, I’m thinking that’s what you mean by “c**p shoot”! Ha ha English English vs Canadian English…….
Well,  we’ll do what we can. In any case we have the x4 reservations and I can see that the GDR will be pretty acceptable!  Or even the grill at the Terrace sounds smashing. On other lines we don’t normally do the Buffett for supper, but the Terrace sounds nice for a change. Thanks again.

It seems more people are migrating from main stream lines  & think Oceania is the same    so in order to have good food you need to be in the Specialties

We like the GDR 

I think right now  the food is  an issue  but who knows what the future sailing will be like

sounds like so very poor cooks 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 9:56 AM, no1talks said:

Wait, Oceania ships have game rooms?

I know about the libraries and card rooms, but I had not heard about game rooms. (Of course, if card rooms ARE the game rooms, I apologize for my misunderstanding.)

All ships, or just some?

Many different games?

Board games in good shape?

Thank you, in advance, for any information you can share about Oceania game rooms.

To me a game room is a casino..I assume Oceania has those… 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Informative post, thank you. In your research, did you determine the average age of Oceania passengers vs. Viking vs. Seabourne, etc? I'm trying to determine that. My husband and I are 51 and 55 and want to make sure we fit in with the passengers on the cruise line we choose. 

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

... My husband and I are 51 and 55 and want to make sure we fit in with the passengers on the cruise line we choose. 

Wife and I are mid-to-late 50s and did our 2 O cruises in 12/2021 (Riviera) and 11/2022 (Sirena). We felt young. Average age seemed around 70+. BUT we had a great time and met many interesting people. Whether around the pool or in the restaurants. We did our own excursions. Don't do the shows, other than the comics. I do enjoy the lecturers (wife doesn't). What was great was essentially NO infants, children, teenagers, or 20tysomethings. This is an adult cruise for well behaved adults. Ships seemed pretty dead by about 2230 hours. I walked every deck both times on the first evening at around 0400 and there was nobody up or out on either (other than the guest photographer artist in residence out by the pool on Riviera).

Only time "age" was an issue on the ship was in the Terrace Cafe buffet on Sirena when 3 people clogged the crowded middle portion with 3 walkers! And there was also one motorized scooter in the TC when the starboard sliding door to the aft outside area was broken for days, as he tried to negotiate up the incline to get outside aft on the port side.

AND beware passenger sickness issues impacting your itineraries. We had to stop off Key West on Riviera to offload a very elderly gentleman for medical issues. He looked like the near-death Boris Karloff in Plan 9 From Outer Space. And we lost out on our St. Kitts stay off Sirena because someone had a medical emergency off the Dominican Republic and it took us hours to use our own tender craft to get him to the port dock in Puerto Plaza.