Is the Metromover and Metrorail safe?

Bloomin Onion

My family and I are considering taking the Metromover and Metrorail to the airport from Bayside Marketplace on our debarkation day. It seems to be much cheaper than even an Uber or taxi. 

Has anyone here experienced mass transit in Miami? Is it more like Washington DC where its used by the general public, or more like Baltimore or Atlanta where the trains are only used by people who can't afford a car and there are a lot of unsavory characters, crime concerns, etc etc? I don't know of any bad areas of Miami aside from Little Haiti, does the train go through any rough parts of town on the way to the airport?  We are also of a different ethnic background than most of the city's population, will this be a problem like with some other cities mass transit systems (ie Baltimore, Atlanta.....) 

Edited by Bloomin Onion

On 1/19/2023 at 5:14 PM, Bloomin Onion said:

My family and I are considering taking the Metromover and Metrorail to the airport from Bayside Marketplace on our debarkation day. It seems to be much cheaper than even an Uber or taxi. 

Has anyone here experienced mass transit in Miami? Is it more like Washington DC where its used by the general public, or more like Baltimore or Atlanta where the trains are only used by people who can't afford a car and there are a lot of unsavory characters, crime concerns, etc etc? I don't know of any bad areas of Miami aside from Little Haiti, does the train go through any rough parts of town on the way to the airport?  We are also of a different ethnic background than most of the city's population, will this be a problem like with some other cities mass transit systems (ie Baltimore, Atlanta.....) 

I think this will depend on day and time.  The downtown area around Bayshore is not some place I would wander around on weekends. Miami nonprofits do give out mass transit tickets to their clients so it is possible to cross paths with those folks whose behavior is unpredictable and can be intoxicated,   A taxi (flat rate from port to airport) or rideshare would be safer.  

Thanks for the response. That is good to know especially about weekends as it will be on a Sunday (specifically next Sunday when we come back from Oasis of the Seas) especially cause Bayside looks nice from online and all the guide books. 

Our flight home isn't until 10:30 PM so we do have full day in Miami. Hope to visit the Art Deco district, Vizcaya and if there's time to get food at Versailles in Little Havana. 

On 1/22/2023 at 3:44 AM, Bloomin Onion said:

Thanks for the response. That is good to know especially about weekends as it will be on a Sunday (specifically next Sunday when we come back from Oasis of the Seas) especially cause Bayside looks nice from online and all the guide books. 

Our flight home isn't until 10:30 PM so we do have full day in Miami. Hope to visit the Art Deco district, Vizcaya and if there's time to get food at Versailles in Little Havana. 

Metrorail and Metromover service on Sundays is spotty - the schedules are cut back from weekdays.

Rode both for 13 years Monday thru Friday but weekends were always iffy (when I needed to be at work on weekends for overtime). 

On 1/20/2023 at 10:04 PM, Elaine5715 said:

I think this will depend on day and time.  The downtown area around Bayshore is not some place I would wander around on weekends. Miami nonprofits do give out mass transit tickets to their clients so it is possible to cross paths with those folks whose behavior is unpredictable and can be intoxicated,   A taxi (flat rate from port to airport) or rideshare would be safer.  

Huh? Do you mean Bayside? We have some homeless (actually getting better) but Downtown Miami is exceptionally safe. Sure maybe don't walk in the park at night. But the area is busy on the weekends. 

On 1/22/2023 at 3:44 AM, Bloomin Onion said:

If you want to do all that rent a car, or be ok with doing rideshare around. Nothing wrong with Metromover or Metrorail during the day, but it will take longer to use transit on a weekend than driving. 

12 hours ago, Flymia said:

Huh? Do you mean Bayside? We have some homeless (actually getting better) but Downtown Miami is exceptionally safe. Sure maybe don't walk in the park at night. But the area is busy on the weekends. 

If you want to do all that rent a car, or be ok with doing rideshare around. Nothing wrong with Metromover or Metrorail during the day, but it will take longer to use transit on a weekend than driving. 

Bayside/Bayshore typo.  Downtown Miami on weekends is different than weekdays.  The more people, the safer.  Being on a empty transit platform with cruise luggage, passports and cash is a target unless you are physically able to protect yourself.  Riding thru Downtown Miami on cruise buses,   there are numerous street camps just on the way to POM. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've traveled on MetroRail ($) and MetroMover (free) many times without any issues. I've traveled with luggage too to/from the airport.

But.....

1) You don't indicate how many there are in your group;

2) How are you getting from the ship to Bayside Marketplace.

3) What is your luggage situation?

3) The Art Deco district is in South Beach (Miami Beach), not Miami. There are buses that go there but again what about your luggage?

My recommendation is to price a 1 day car rental from a company with a downtown office and then return it to the Rental Car Center at the airport. Then you can go everywhere you want on your own terms, keep your luggage in the trunk and return the car when you're finished.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH