Crowne Plaza, San Pedro question

JoRoy218

Decided to stay at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro pre-cruise. Trivial question: does anyone know if they have coffee makers in room?

Heard “cruisers” overwhelm breakfast area morning of boarding.  Appreciate any input, thanks. 

21 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Not sure you are correct Scott? I am sure I've had my morning coffee in the room there like most hotels of that level!

I don't know if in-room coffee makers are a victim of Covid, but in booking a room there, in-room coffee maker isn't a listed amenity, just a refrigerator.

10 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

I'm staying there tomorrow night so I can let you know!

SuzieQ can you tell me how the hotel is? Reviews of both the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are pretty bad. We need 1 night in late Feb. I just want safe, clean, and quiet. Thanks!

The Crown is good. San Pedro Brewing is up the hill a block for eating and drinking.  They have a bar and restaurant on site, too. 

Coffee has always been available in our rooms,  but perhaps not all. 

plus you can walk to the pier for Princess and Royal. But there is a shuttle. 

Edited by neverbeenhere
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

The Crown is good. San Pedro Brewing is up the hill a block for eating and drinking.  They have a bar and restaurant on site, too. 

Coffee has always been available in our rooms,  but perhaps not all. 

plus you can walk to the pier for Princess and Royal. But there is a shuttle. 

Do you know if it’s walkable to Celebrity? Not sure what pier they use - sailing late Feb.

6 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

SuzieQ can you tell me how the hotel is? Reviews of both the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are pretty bad. We need 1 night in late Feb. I just want safe, clean, and quiet. Thanks!

I am not sure on what basis you say "reviews of both are pretty bad". Both get very solid reviews on TripAdvisor, Google and every other database I looked at.

40 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I am not sure on what basis you say "reviews of both are pretty bad". Both get very solid reviews on TripAdvisor, Google and every other database I looked at.

6 of the first 11 reviews of Crowne Plaza on google are 1 or 2, some with disgusting photos to match. 6 out of most recent 11 reviews on trip advisor for Doubletree are also 1 or 2 and several of the 3s are also negative reviews. I find that cause for concern and makes me hesitate to book a night at either despite the convenience. That is why I asked SuzieQ her opinion as I believe she is there tonight. Not sure why I have to defend myself for asking a legitimate question, but there you have it.

Edited by MarEll1
Clarification that Crowne reviews were google

On 1/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, JoRoy218 said:

Decided to stay at Crowne Plaza in San Pedro pre-cruise. Trivial question: does anyone know if they have coffee makers in room?

Heard “cruisers” overwhelm breakfast area morning of boarding.  Appreciate any input, thanks. 

When I stayed there in January 2022, my room DID have a coffeemaker (Keurig type).  As I've mentioned in other posts, I found it to be a nice place to stay.  My room was on the 10th floor with a good oblique view of the cruise port.  I got to watch my ship come in (at 0'dark thirty in the morning :-).) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

6 of the first 11 reviews of Crowne Plaza on google are 1 or 2, some with disgusting photos to match. 6 out of most recent 11 reviews on trip advisor for Doubletree are also 1 or 2 and several of the 3s are also negative reviews. I find that cause for concern and makes me hesitate to book a night at either despite the convenience. That is why I asked SuzieQ her opinion as I believe she is there tonight. Not sure why I have to defend myself for asking a legitimate question, but there you have it.

I think you should check if what you read for the Crowne Plaza were "most recent" or "most helpful", which means people upvoted the review. Google defaults to "most helpful" (which I don't find helpful, because people who are unhappy are more inclined to vote because they are mad about something).

Looking at "most recent", 20 of 25 reviews were 4* or 5*, of the remaining 5 reviews, 2 were 3*, 1 was 2* and 2 were 1*. That is a pretty healthy ratio of top reviews to bottom reviews and comports with my experience with the Crowne Plaza San Pedro.

We have stayed in both hotels within the last year

Both are just fine

When I look at reviews I don't just look at the rating no I read the review

Sometimes people give low numbers for very weird reasons!

There will be no real problem staying 1 night in either one

We happen to collect Hilton pts,so stay at the Doubletree more often

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Both are just fine

Thank you for your firsthand opinion. I do read reviews and look at photos. I discount the reviews that are negative because their diamond status wasn’t recognized or they weren’t given complimentary bottled water etc. photos are harder to ignore though!

39 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Both are just fine

Free chocolate chip cookies at the Doubletree. Just saying.

I used to stay at the Doubletree a lot on business at the Port of LA.  They had a good breakfast buffet. Not super cheap but I usually opted for it when I had time.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:29 PM, IRMO12HD said:

When I stayed there in January 2022, my room DID have a coffeemaker (Keurig type).  As I've mentioned in other posts, I found it to be a nice place to stay.  My room was on the 10th floor with a good oblique view of the cruise port.  I got to watch my ship come in (at 0'dark thirty in the morning :-).) 

Was it literally a keurig?  If so, I might bring some pods… I like my morning coffee 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 4:50 PM, MarEll1 said:

People are more likely to write negative reviews than positive, and such reviews will garner more attention.  I've written a few detailed positive reviews (cruises, not hotels) on Cruise Critic and none received much attention,  Meanwhile, a negative review of the same cruise, written the same day as my positive review, stayed on the front page for weeks.

Anyway, both hotels are solid.  Consider the reviewers' other reviews before assigning any value.  And nothing drives me nuts more than people taking high res photos of minor problems to blow them out of proportion.  You can find wear and tear on a brand new hotel that's been open to guests for a few weeks...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

People are more likely to write negative reviews than positive, and such reviews will garner more attention.  I've written a few detailed positive reviews (cruises, not hotels) on Cruise Critic and none received much attention,  Meanwhile, a negative review of the same cruise, written the same day as my positive review, stayed on the front page for weeks.

Anyway, both hotels are solid.  Consider the reviewers' other reviews before assigning any value.  And nothing drives me nuts more than people taking high res photos of minor problems to blow them out of proportion.  You can find wear and tear on a brand new hotel that's been open to guests for a few weeks...

Have you stayed in both hotels recently? I’m looking for firsthand, recent experience.

I’ve been reading trip advisor reviews for years so I am aware of how skewed they can be.

34 minutes ago, MarEll1 said:

Have you stayed in both hotels recently? I’m looking for firsthand, recent experience.

I’ve been reading trip advisor reviews for years so I am aware of how skewed they can be.

Yes I have.  At the CP right before the 4th of July and the DT on Dec. 21.  

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 6:24 PM, IRMO12HD said:

I have a picture of it -- will post it when I find it.

@vacationlover_mnHere is a picture of the one that was in my room (10th floor, facing East (I think?  Toward the cruise port).  It was a Hamilton Beach, but used K-cups.  The hotel provided coffee and tea k-cups, and probably would have given me more had I asked.  It was just me, so one cup was fine.

Crowne Plaza Coffee Maker.png

• Like 2

Got off cruise today. Stayed at Crowne last Saturday. Yes there is a regular Keurig coffee maker that takes the regular pods.

In regards to our opinion of the hotel: It’s more than sufficient for one night and very convenient to the cruise port. We ended up utilizing the shuttle which was useful. The surcharge for rideshare was ridiculous leaving port today and so I called the Crowne and they said just hop on the shuttle to go back to the hotel…we just stayed there and waited till the prices went down for Uber before going to the airport.

Yes the hotel is a bit outdated but for one night it is fine. Very convenient and also close to many restaurants.

• Like 3