Taormina Tips

Sailnsurf

Our upcoming Mediterranean cruise includes Taormina in late September. The itinerary shows tenders will be used.

In order to plan our day it would be helpful to have information about where tenders are likely to land, how one gets from there to the town itself and how one gets from there to the Greco Roman theatre. Some of our group will have mobility issues so availability of trsnsport options would be useful to know. All tips would be appreciated.

Both times I have been to Taormina, we docked in Catania and took a bus.  Wherever your transportation up to the town lets you off, just follow the Main Street and it will take you to the theater.  If they offer an excursion Taormina on your own, do it.  Google for a map of Taormina,  look it up in a guidebook like Lonely Planet.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

Taormina is beautiful. I didn’t actually go into the town itself because I went on a wine tasting tour.  So I don’t really know how long it takes to get there but it can’t be too far. These are the views from the ship. 
8EDD8C55-C2B0-49D3-9C50-49F24A40D071.thumb.jpeg.60dd39302ce1f29672a757f7e5c1011d.jpeg

D47017E7-A735-4CB0-B394-5AC2F6E3368D.thumb.jpeg.ecab014da9c99be643cf3e12aaadccd0.jpeg

And this sign was posted near the tender drop off area. 
C4F6FAC7-3F91-4456-A556-CA608B8C618F.thumb.jpeg.ca0afb441e1bac909187a1fa1b4d4bf6.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Both times I have been to Taormina, we docked in Catania and took a bus.  Wherever your transportation up to the town lets you off, just follow the Main Street and it will take you to the theater.  If they offer an excursion Taormina on your own, do it.  Google for a map of Taormina,  look it up in a guidebook like Lonely Planet.  EM

The HAL excursions do not excite us. We have visited Taormina on a previous cruise  when we went by by rail (lapping the shore line) from Messina. On this cruise the ship anchors offshore  somewhere at or near Taormina. All HAL excursions start in Taormina. We would prefer to plan our own day if we can - hence my enquiries.

7 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Taormina is beautiful. I didn’t actually go into the town itself because I went on a wine tasting tour.  So I don’t really know how long it takes to get there but it can’t be too far. These are the views from the ship. 
8EDD8C55-C2B0-49D3-9C50-49F24A40D071.thumb.jpeg.60dd39302ce1f29672a757f7e5c1011d.jpeg

D47017E7-A735-4CB0-B394-5AC2F6E3368D.thumb.jpeg.ecab014da9c99be643cf3e12aaadccd0.jpeg

And this sign was posted near the tender drop off area. 
C4F6FAC7-3F91-4456-A556-CA608B8C618F.thumb.jpeg.ca0afb441e1bac909187a1fa1b4d4bf6.jpeg

I should have mentioned that this was last June so the price for the taxi is current. 

Thanks all for your responses. Sharon  in AZ  particular thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words. Your photos suggest you were anchored off Naxos. Our solution looks like that we should get a taxi to the Theatre ( 4 of us) and then walk mainly down-hill to the Town. Then get a taxi back to the Naxos area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailnsurf said:

Thanks all for your responses. Sharon  in AZ  particular thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words. Your photos suggest you were anchored off Naxos. Our solution looks like that we should get a taxi to the Theatre ( 4 of us) and then walk mainly down-hill to the Town. Then get a taxi back to the Naxos area. 

Yes it was that area.  This is a cropped picture from my maps, however you probably know the area since you’ve been there before. 
DC2FCB0A-762D-4CEE-8D2C-388451817186.thumb.jpeg.65a817e46e6e8dea33a0590b54146cf9.jpeg

Our sail away was after dark and the views of Mt Etna were amazing. 

DE8D5B18-EEB2-4FDD-A9AC-613A357B7DF8.thumb.jpeg.1fd23a084fc8e5f324157c3e2a7333e4.jpeg

CA321BBB-3279-4F21-B664-12433C19A1A9.thumb.jpeg.70bb72fc2adce5a6d324dc516825abff.jpeg

• Like 1

If you choose not to take a HAL excursion, do they bus you from Catania to Taormina or do they leave you in Catania to find your own way?  The information on the itinerary is not specific and there's no Taormina on your own excursion. We would like to meet relatives in Taormina so no need for an excursion but we'd like to pre-book transportation into Taormina if necessary. 

I just wanted to let you know that I had the BEST gelato in Taormina.  Don't recall the name of the shop but  we were in a central square, pedestrian only.  There was a gelato place at one corner of the square; it's not that place.  If you were facing so that the corner shop was on the right and there is a city gate down the street, the shop we were recommended to by our tour guide was a few doors down on the left.  This was in 2013 so who knows if it's still there.  Hopefully, it still is.  It was amazing; so much so, I still think of it all these years later.  

• Like 1