Will HAL Changes Discourage Regular HAL Cruisers

mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Back on topic.

I'm in a dilemma. Clearly, HAL has forgotten its strategic necessities, in search of $$$ from lower costs and more onboard spending. Should I accelerate bookings in the next 15 months to reach 4-star? Or, is it already too late? The slide is irreversible and its time to jump ship (so to speak)?

I could sail 46 nights in 2023, but have only booked 19 nights on the Koningsdam and Volendam.

It is a very good question.  I would have to say that on our last cruise in Nov 2022, it was the first time I really felt disappointed.  At 10 days I was looking forward to getting off the ship (14 day voyage).  I suppose it was a bit of a downer because we did miss two ports due to medical emergencies.  Personally, I don't even require having a lot of ports.  I also noticed a big reduction in Lido staff at lunchtime.  It seems like many people show up in Lido around the same hour.  We just got used to getting our own drinks which wasn't a problem, but what was a problem is that tables weren't cleared.  At the end of the day, that didn't bother us.  On board enrichment was poor.  Doing crossword puzzles and team trivia is so been there did that.  I found some fiction to reach, plopped down in the Crow's Nest with my afternoon iced coffee and read for a few hours.  I think what I'm going to do is look for port heavy itineraries for future cruises.  But, I see that HAL is doing the same been there did that itineraries and once you get to 4 star, you've kind of done that.  It just seems to me the loyalty goes one way and the cut backs just keep coming.  I know this really isn't an answer for you, but just my most recent experience which was kind of bleh.  My husband wants to remain loyal to HAL but I'm kind of wanting to try something else...maybe Celebrity.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m not strictly loyal to any line but HAL has been a favorite recently as I find value on them. Only one sailing since covid (Rotterdam) and we loved it. Three of the four upcoming cruises I have on the books are with HAL. We have a short NCL cruise this October because I had to use up a credit. BTW, if one really wants to talk about cutbacks, look at the NCL board. Or any non luxury line’s board for that matter. 

We sail mostly for itinerary, time frame, and price. We don’t sail in suites (except for our one stint in a Vista suite on Rotterdam that we enjoyed but it’s not a priority for us) so comparing HAL’s lack of competitiveness in that category doesn’t matter to me. I could care less that Celebrity offers better suite perks or that people love The Haven on NCL. In lower category staterooms HAL remains competitive and even excels IMO. An inside stateroom on HAL provides a better cruise experience for me than an inside on NCL (by far). 

No one (including myself) likes excessive cutbacks but that’s across the industry right now. Saying HAL cruisers should look at Azamara or Viking, as some have mentioned on here, is not realistic as they are in a different league with much higher prices at the entry level staterooms. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I am reading these threads with some cautious optimism.  We are HAL newbies and have never sailed with them before.  We lived in Florida and had kids so we have done a lot of budget trips in the past (Carnival, Norwegian).  We sailed this past fall on Royal Caribbean (old ship, the Voyager OTS) and I was severely disappointed (with everything but the cost).  We had fun but the "fit-n-finish" was not there from our pre-pandemic trips even on the budget lines. We have another RCL trip this June to Alaska with our grown married kids. We wanted to do Princess, but they all wanted the on-board "stuff".  So, we are going on a larger Quantum class ship with RCL.

But I had a bucket list of seeing the Norway Fjords.  We booked a trip on the Rotterdam out of Amsterdam in August.  I look forward to a more upscale trip on the Rotterdam. I just learned about Club Orange and would have probably signed up for that when I booked last September. 

Seeing the news about all the hiring and recruitment efforts in the cruise industry as a whole.  I am hopeful that some the recent trips that everyone are complaining about are just post-pandemic hangover (at least in part). I realize some cutbacks are inevitable as the industry is facing rising interest rates, higher fuel costs, staffing shortages and more. I just hope they can balance out the cost benefit to keep their clients/customers happy.

Don't nickel and dime me with dinner upgrades

Don't serve weak drinks

No need to clean my room 2-3 times a day, once is enough

Stop ruining my relaxation by trying to upsell/hard sell me lotions and creams in the spa

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, fsufancc said:

I am hopeful that some the recent trips that everyone are complaining about are just post-pandemic hangover (at least in part).

I agree.  First cruise after Covid August 2021 my experience was not so good.  Example was the butter, I know it is silly but I love the butter and bread in the MDR, so it was disappointing but good news I did not gain much weight from the cruise.  On my last cruise in December the real butter returned!  I talked to staff in the MDR and they were aware of the post Covid butter issue, glad it got fixed.

Edited by Lildare
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fsufancc said:

I am reading these threads with some cautious optimism.  We are HAL newbies and have never sailed with them before.  We lived in Florida and had kids so we have done a lot of budget trips in the past (Carnival, Norwegian).  We sailed this past fall on Royal Caribbean (old ship, the Voyager OTS) and I was severely disappointed (with everything but the cost).  We had fun but the "fit-n-finish" was not there from our pre-pandemic trips even on the budget lines. We have another RCL trip this June to Alaska with our grown married kids. We wanted to do Princess, but they all wanted the on-board "stuff".  So, we are going on a larger Quantum class ship with RCL.

But I had a bucket list of seeing the Norway Fjords.  We booked a trip on the Rotterdam out of Amsterdam in August.  I look forward to a more upscale trip on the Rotterdam. I just learned about Club Orange and would have probably signed up for that when I booked last September. 

Seeing the news about all the hiring and recruitment efforts in the cruise industry as a whole.  I am hopeful that some the recent trips that everyone are complaining about are just post-pandemic hangover (at least in part). I realize some cutbacks are inevitable as the industry is facing rising interest rates, higher fuel costs, staffing shortages and more. I just hope they can balance out the cost benefit to keep their clients/customers happy.

Don't nickel and dime me with dinner upgrades

Don't serve weak drinks

No need to clean my room 2-3 times a day, once is enough

Stop ruining my relaxation by trying to upsell/hard sell me lotions and creams in the spa

You can still add Orange Club by simply calling HAL or your TA can do it, if you use one. The three Pinnacle class ships, including the Rotterdam, all have separate dining areas. Is the extra charge worth it? We tried it on our December cruise on the Statendam and then immediately added it to our February cruise on the Rotterdam. Quiet surroundings, outstanding and attentive staff and food served hot were all viewed as a big plus for us. Priority boarding was also nice.

Edited by PROCRUISE

1 hour ago, Lildare said:

I agree.  First cruise after Covid August 2021 my experience was not so good.  Example was the butter, I know it is silly but I love the butter and bread in the MDR, so it was disappointing but good news I did not gain much weight from the cruise.  On my last cruise in December the real butter returned!  I talked to staff in the MDR and they were aware of the post Covid butter issue, glad it got fixed.

My goodness, a real butter coverup?  Please tell all

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Good to hear about your dining experience on Zaandam   .We cruise on her  next year for the Eclipse /Mexican Riviera cruise   .This will be our  2nd smaller ship experience

@mcrcruiserwill wave at you during the elipce from the koningsdam.  I will be in a bright red...oh wait, it will be dark

• Haha 1

New to this Holland category. Was on the Nieu Amsterdam on an Alaska cruise back in 1983. I guess one will not miss what one never had to begin with. Booked a top suite on the new Nieu Amsterdam for this Spring Break hoping to sidestep the family crowd that upset the other lines. Conflicting posts here give me hope that all is not lost. Looking forward to having a served buffet for a change. Never eaten at the other buffets. Booked a cabana for 2, but have the option to retreat to cabin veranda should case warrant. Excited about this upcoming HAL cruise and appreciate everything posted. Found Hlitner to be very credible over the few years since I joined CC. None of the cut backs mentioned here appear to be deal breakers when compared to the rest of the cruise industry. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Back on topic.

I'm in a dilemma. Clearly, HAL has forgotten its strategic necessities, in search of $$$ from lower costs and more onboard spending. Should I accelerate bookings in the next 15 months to reach 4-star? Or, is it already too late? The slide is irreversible and its time to jump ship (so to speak)?

I could sail 46 nights in 2023, but have only booked 19 nights on the Koningsdam and Volendam.

I suggest continuing to pursue 4*. HAL'S laundry service is tops in the industry and if you are on longer voyages (which was what HAL was doing prior to shutdown), the laundry helps. 

Being 5* has diminished in regards to perks (especially with the introduction of Club Orange). And on Grand Voyages, "everyone" is 4 and 5* so not much delta in perks. (Except again laundry). 

HAL used to sail long itineraries in Asia. Africa, South America, Pacific, etc and they usually booked up years in advance (or shortly after being announced). B2B became more popular when the longer cruises shortened. (Or cruisers would sail one ship and pick up another if not R/T). 

I expect the "new" longer cruises to help entice HALs regular cruisers. Generally the longer cruises (which also have segments available) have better entertainment, enrichment and activities (especially the Grand Voyages). However since cruise entertainers are down "40%" now (for HAL with tighter purse strings) we won't see much difference in the short term. 

We always enjoy longer itineraries to new places and crusing for us is the "Sampler platter" of traveling where we get to visit (taste) a region/Country (and unpack once) and if you like a place, you may cruise there again and explore more (or fly for more in depth experience). We have booked World Cruises even if they stop in Sydney, Singapore, Auckland, etc over and over and we always find something to do. But if the route goes through Suez or Europe, we value the time and money doing a specific European cruise with time spent before or after traveling on land. (Many World cruisers do similar itineraries every year and some don't get off the ship - different strokes for d'folks). 

So for the price point and itinerary, I don't see 15 month (which is probably every line's reorg period) lost in obtaining 4*. Of course they may change benefits but hopefully not take away laundry or I'll have to cruise without DW. 😉 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, REOVA said:

I suggest continuing to pursue 4*. HAL'S laundry service is tops in the industry and if you are on longer voyages (which was what HAL was doing prior to shutdown), the laundry helps. 

ROFL.  I will admit that when booking a $20,000+ cruise that free laundry is an important consideration :).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL.  I will admit that when booking a $20,000+ cruise that free laundry is an important consideration :).

Yep DW has her priorities  😉

For some reason "free" laundry is better than paying "out of pocket" per bag on another line. But who am I to argue with her.😇

And she likes having things folded or hung up instead of returned in paper bag like some lines. She's moved up from washing them in the tub (or when on board washer/ dryers existed) but seeing that laundry statement charge might make her regress. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lobsternight said:

@mcrcruiserwill wave at you during the elipce from the koningsdam.  I will be in a bright red...oh wait, it will be dark

Do wave .The Zaandam cruise is 14 nights  & goes as far as Hultaco  Mexico .We also do Acapulco ,a favorite port of mine  &  The Sea of Cortez   ports of LaPaz & Loretto  .

You could wear clothes that glow un the dark ?🤣

Edited by mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Do wave .The Zaandam cruise is 14 nights  & goes as far as Hultaco  Mexico .We also do Acapulco ,a favorite port of mine  &  The Sea of Cortez   ports of LaPaz & Loretto  .

You could wear clothes that glow un the dark ?🤣

No, don't want to bring my work clothes along.  I'm sure my balding head will shine even in a total eclipse.  We are sailing out of San Diego to Cabo and PV, then off to Hawaii before returning to Vancouver, our home city.

Its interesting how people are reacting to the changes.  We have been exclusive with Celebrity forever.  In April will be our first HAL cruise to try it out.  Already considering canceling a 2024 X cruise for the same reason.  Depending on the outcome of our April cruise will decide on the eclipse tour.  I'm sure we will enjoy HAL, and fortunately do not have any preconceived idea about it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lobsternight said:

No, don't want to bring my work clothes along.  I'm sure my balding head will shine even in a total eclipse.  We are sailing out of San Diego to Cabo and PV, then off to Hawaii before returning to Vancouver, our home city.

Its interesting how people are reacting to the changes.  We have been exclusive with Celebrity forever.  In April will be our first HAL cruise to try it out.  Already considering canceling a 2024 X cruise for the same reason.  Depending on the outcome of our April cruise will decide on the eclipse tour.  I'm sure we will enjoy HAL, and fortunately do not have any preconceived idea about it. 

We are Elite Plus with Celebrity & 3 Star Mariners at HAL  . Except for the lack of shows   on the World Stage for HAL the lines imo are fairly close in  every thing else . HAL does have dancers for the World Stage  .They have the Rolling Rock  music room  .BBKings Blues /Rock n roll /comedians  .Billboard on board with 2 pianos & singers . Best to go club Orange if you are sailing on Koningsdam   .Lots of great perks   .Read the thread on Club Orange now going on this board

We sail HAL because  they sail from San  Diego   out home port .however ,in March we are doing B2B  on Soltice  &  in  2024 we will do some Princess cruises from the World Cruise Center San Pedro which is about 1 & 3/4 hour drive for us

Another nice touch on HAL Koningsdam is the Studio where  you can do  crafts . 

Food variety is good . There is Lido buffet ,The dive In for burgers ,fries ,hot dogs & the NY Deli  one deck up --walk the spiral stair to get there .Great Salads as well with lemon aid & ice tea available

Best to have breakfast & dinner in Club Orange  .Also tru all the special restaurants ,Very yummy   ,Pinnacle special restaurant can have lunch there on Sea Days ,Best buy

Enjoy HAL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/22/2023 at 3:04 PM, oaktreerb said:

Define “prebook a while in advance”.  How far in advance?  If you select early or late dining when you book your cruise you are in fixed dining with the same table and stewards every evening.   Did you make your reservation when you were onboard, when you booked the cruise, or after booking but before boarding the ship?

I believe (if I recall) we booked our open dining about four months in advance.  It opened up after the specialty dining opened but well before cruise.  Again, things change all the time.  Right now I can't advance book any dining on my OCT 2023 sailing in Europe.