If not Oceania, which cruiseline?

PhD-iva

Might as well chime in --

Lots of issues with cruise lines -- no one is perfect.  I really do not understand the biofouling issue.  It has been on the books since 15 June 2022 and requires the hull cleaning 30 days prior entering Australia/NZ waters.  Someone at NCL corporate blew it.  Regent has a similar OMG moment.

As for other cruise lines we are itinerary driven so we will go with our favorites Regent, SS, Seabourn and Oceania (in order).  May knock out O because of last two bad cruises one on Marina and other on Regatta (2017/18 Pacific and Oz circumnavigation of missed ports and dead engines).

Crystal might be one to add but going to wait until they start up and see some reviews.  Not certain that this will be a smooth startup.

As far as Regent competitiveness on pricing, it really depends on the itinerary.  Have seen they very good when you remove the air (Japan cruise is an example) and when they will have a 2 cabin upgrade sale.  You can also remove their free hotel and free land portions for credit too. 

• Like 1

MSC question re: languages: We've cruised on the Greek line Celestyal, which had a very international mix of pax. So all the announcements were in : Greek, Turkish, French, Spanish, Italian, German and finally English. While I'm fluent in French and Spanish--and kinda German--we always waited to hear the English too... We diverted itinerary twice to other islands due to seas, so it was important info, but it seemed to take forever to hear the daily notes. Minor issue but frustrating. It seems that an app would be a good solution; you could choose your preferred language. How does MSC handle that?

27 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

It has been on the books since 15 June 2022 and requires the hull cleaning 30 days prior entering Australia/NZ waters.  Someone at NCL corporate blew it.  Regent has a similar OMG moment.

Other cruise lines have had the same issue, not just NCLH lines. Both Cunard and Viking Ocean have had ships denied entry because of the biofouling problems. 

The issue may be just as much one of government failure to notify cruise lines of how and when enforcement would begin as as it is the cruise lines' failure to prepare for the consequences of the laws.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Other cruise lines have had the same issue, not just NCLH lines. Both Cunard and Viking Ocean have had ships denied entry because of the biofouling problems. 

The issue may be just as much one of government failure to notify cruise lines of how and when enforcement would begin as as it is the cruise lines' failure to prepare for the consequences of the laws.

True that Cunard, Viking, and Princess got caught with pants down.  But the new law for Australia clearly stated that they would do spot checks from 15 June 22 through December 2023 to check on compliance.  The law for NZ has been on the books since 2018.  Obviously they all were surprised.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:25 AM, janecambridge said:

We have done one Regent cruise in the past, loved it. Since sailed Oceania, Seabourn and Saga. Oceania used to be our favourite but just coming off of Marina it changed. Seabourn once and never again. Saga is great with same all inclusive as Regent including free pick up from home. In UK Regent don’t give us business air.for any flights. 
Booked Regent for this August. Looking forward to it, except economy Canada air flight out. 

I do know they don’t include business class air from those traveling internationally from the UK, which doesn’t seem fair! On the other hand they had a special Rocky Mountain railroad trip from Vancouver after we landed from an Alaskan cruise in May only for the British passengers. And just about impossible to book Saga if an American. Now you have me worried, as I’m on the Marina in April! 

Edited by Furball83
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Furball83 said:

I do know they don’t include business class air from those traveling internationally from the UK, which doesn’t seem fair! On the other hand they had a special Rocky Mountain railroad trip from Vancouver after we landed from an Alaskan cruise in May only for the British passengers. And just about impossible to book Saga if an American. Now you have me worried, as I’m on the Marina in April! 

I understand there have been offers for extra land tours in Alaska- not sure  if it’s only Brits. 
personally we would prefer an upgraded seat on long haul flights. To upgrade a seat from here,  we have to wait for the flight to be ticketed - 70-90 days pre embarkation. We then may loose the opportunity as sold out or sit away from each other. BA also charged us last time $100 each to choose seats. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Regards the bio fouling,  I spoke to a couple on one of the trips around NZ and Australia. Eventually the ship was cleaned  but refused entry into NZ because they used a company that the NZ authorities don’t recognise as good enough. 

???

Huh?

They didn't verify that it was an approved vendor?

How in the world could they pick a vendor that wasn't approved by the authorities that must give approval about the biofouling cleaning?

Scratching my head...

>> Is this actually true?

Perhaps that "couple on one of the trips around NZ and Australia" were misinformed?

GC

• Like 1

16 hours ago, janecambridge said:

I understand there have been offers for extra land tours in Alaska- not sure  if it’s only Brits. 
personally we would prefer an upgraded seat on long haul flights. To upgrade a seat from here,  we have to wait for the flight to be ticketed - 70-90 days pre embarkation. We then may loose the opportunity as sold out or sit away from each other. BA also charged us last time $100 each to choose seats. 

Wow—that’s awful!

8 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Our flight to Vancouver in August is a good example. Canada Air. We have to wait for it to be to ticketed.
Our flight home we cancelled with Regent and booked our own virgin flight, using air miles to upgrade. 

Once you make  final payment  ask them to ticket  your flight  with AIR CANADA