If not Oceania, which cruiseline?

PhD-iva

6 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

We have done one Regent cruise in the past, loved it. Since sailed Oceania, Seabourn and Saga. Oceania used to be our favourite but just coming off of Marina it changed. Seabourn once and never again. Saga is great with same all inclusive as Regent including free pick up from home. In UK Regent don’t give us business air.for any flights. 
Booked Regent for this August. Looking forward to it, except economy Canada air flight out. 

I’ve heard this complaint from other UK Regent passengers. However, when I was on the Mariner from SFO up through Alaska and down to Victoria and Vancouver in May, the UK passengers got a fabulous three-day Yukon railroad trip to Banff and one other place. Can you even pay an air deviation fee and small  fare difference to get business class?

4 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Not accurate. I have only cruised with Viking, and really like their product, but I am browsing here for some variety of itineraries. Viking has a variety of live music. There is a small night club called Torshavn with a small band and singers, at least so I have heard.

We tend to linger over dinner and then perhaps go to the Explorer's Lounge. There is a piano there, and there is usually a guitarist on board who rotates locations. In addition, there is a classical duo who perform in The Living Room most evenings. Since that area is open to the Atrium, you can find a spot on several levels to listen. 

There is live music most nights in the Star Theater as well, with a small band and a quartet of singers. The shows performed there could do with some updating, as a few have been around since Viking Ocean first started sailing. If you are new to Viking, that won't be a problem! The Cruise Director and others will sometimes perform in this venue too.

I am not sure where you learned that Viking did not have live music. I would not compare them to the mega ships offerings (or to be fair, not to any other lines, since I have only sailed with Viking). We have enjoyed much of what we have heard on our four Viking cruises.

Thanks! I too don't know where we heard no music on Viking; it certainly sounds very attractive! Our preferred size is under 1K passengers (the former, lamented Prinsendam). But excepting a 38-pax Swedish steamer, we've cruised ships mainly at 1200, Riviera sized. For us, the smaller the better; the quite large Celebrity Edge was a fluke, but being the first ship out in 2021, it carried only 300 pax, so tolerable, lol... The higher-end (and smaller) ships are where we're headed.

Edited by sofietucker

On 1/29/2023 at 6:18 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just curious about Viking's logistics - would that be in terms of where they dock, or their arrangements if you buy their pre- or post-trip packages, or what?  

For us we never saw such organized shore excursions dispatches .  

On 1/25/2023 at 11:05 PM, ak1004 said:

We sailed on Cunard twice. Mediocre food and service, but excellent entertainment and enrichment program. If I book it again, would probably book a suite which is supposed to be much better.

Which is what we do. Queen’s Grill is so much more than just a suite though.

5 hours ago, Furball83 said:

I’m a big fan of Regent Seven Seas. Yes, a little pricier, but everything is included except spa services and something like a private helicopter or car tour. Also small ships, fantastic service, great itineraries, specialty restaurants, afternoon tea, gratuities and all alcohol is included—no drinks packages to buy. Bigger showers in even a basic veranda cabin. Unlimited free laundry and pressing no matter what category you’re in. Pre-night hotel and business class air also included if traveling internationally, though they also have an air deviation fee of $175 to get more direct flights. A two-deck theater with better entertainment, plus various music in the different lounges. I’m going on a Viking River Cruise Basel to Amsterdam, Viking Expedition to Antarctica w/Falklands and South Georgia Island Jan. ‘24 and Viking Ocean Reykjavik to Reykjavik in July ‘24 because was invited by a friend, and I will share a cabin with her daughter-in-law (10 of us altogether). So am anxious to see what Viking’s like, even though I know those three cruises are very different versions. Don’t think I can go back to large ships unless with my family on a multigenerational cruise. Haven’t tried Seabourn or Silversea, but have friends who have, and they like Regent best of the three.

I’m just back from a 16 day cruise on Regent Mariner, and it was fabulous. While Oceania is my favorite cruise line, I have to admit that my experience on Regent was better. However, as I’ve said before, you pay for that. And the included wine was not that good. I prefer to not overpay for my drinks by bringing on board wine that I buy in port and pay a reasonable corkage fee or drink it in my stateroom. The included business class airfare is nice, and the onboard entertainment and guest lecturers on the Mariner was a lot more extensive than provided on my previous cruises on Oceania. I also like that I am able to find lower single supplements on Regent than I find on Oceania. I just feel better paying a lower “SS tax”

• Like 3

21 hours ago, janecambridge said:

We have done one Regent cruise in the past, loved it. Since sailed Oceania, Seabourn and Saga. Oceania used to be our favourite but just coming off of Marina it changed. Seabourn once and never again. Saga is great with same all inclusive as Regent including free pick up from home. In UK Regent don’t give us business air.for any flights. 
Booked Regent for this August. Looking forward to it, except economy Canada air flight out. 

Would appreciate understanding your position on ‘Seabourn once and never again’. I would sincerely like to know what drove this comment as we are taking the, for the first time. Thank you

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Furball83 said:

I’m a big fan of Regent Seven Seas. Yes, a little pricier, but everything is included except spa services and something like a private helicopter or car tour. Also small ships, fantastic service, great itineraries, specialty restaurants, afternoon tea, gratuities and all alcohol is included—no drinks packages to buy. Bigger showers in even a basic veranda cabin. Unlimited free laundry and pressing no matter what category you’re in. Pre-night hotel and business class air also included if traveling internationally, though they also have an air deviation fee of $175 to get more direct flights. A two-deck theater with better entertainment, plus various music in the different lounges. I’m going on a Viking River Cruise Basel to Amsterdam, Viking Expedition to Antarctica w/Falklands and South Georgia Island Jan. ‘24 and Viking Ocean Reykjavik to Reykjavik in July ‘24 because was invited by a friend, and I will share a cabin with her daughter-in-law (10 of us altogether). So am anxious to see what Viking’s like, even though I know those three cruises are very different versions. Don’t think I can go back to large ships unless with my family on a multigenerational cruise. Haven’t tried Seabourn or Silversea, but have friends who have, and they like Regent best of the three.

We looked at Regent. One really does have to crunch all the numbers to get a true comparison with their fares, vs a lot of other cruise lines in the ‘smaller ship’ category. One thing that concerned me was the 15% penalty for cancellation or changes to your sailing date. That can be a pretty big nut depending on your itinerary. 

• Like 3

I am surprised that nobody (in this thread) mentioned the new Explora Journeys cruise line.  They are wholly owned by MSC, have very deep pockets without the money issues facing NCLH, CCL and RCI, and will be building four 900 passenger (63,000+ tons) ships with two more under option.  It will be a luxury all-inclusive line with its first ship (Explora I) beginning operations in July.  These are all suite ships with multiple smaller sized restaurants.  In terms of space ratios these ships will be in the same arena as Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, etc. 

This new line has hired top folks from Seabourn, Regent, Azamara and O for starters.  In fact, their Senior Executive Chef, Fredrick Godineau spent 6 years with O.  Their head pastry chef was recruited from the Mandarin Oriental.  It sounds like they are willing to go the extra mile to bring in very experienced folks from the industry.

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I am surprised that nobody (in this thread) mentioned the new Explora Journeys cruise line. 

Hank

maybe once they are sailing  with paying guests  people will consider them

The New Crystal will be sailing soon as well 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

maybe once they are sailing  with paying guests  people will consider them

The New Crystal will be sailing soon as well 

That is also a line for which we have a lot of interest.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Would appreciate understanding your position on ‘Seabourn once and never again’. I would sincerely like to know what drove this comment as we are taking the, for the first time. Thank you

Me too. I mean, we said the same about Carnival, but I think that's self-explanatory, lol...

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Some lines  are  a better fit  for some people

Different expectations/needs /wants

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We like Seabourn very  much and would sail with them again given the right itinerary. Food was excellent though more variety in O in Terrace Cafe.  Entry level suites are much larger with nice amenities, including WI closet. Totally a personal quirk of mine but I like having a mini fridge large enough to hold an ice bucket so there is always plenty of usuable ice...and the ensuite bar set up is nice perk. Service is stellar. Hope they have a "Galley lunch" on your cruise because it's a lot of fun. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

Me too. I mean, we said the same about Carnival, but I think that's self-explanatory, lol...

We have said the same about. Carnival, NCL and Royal, once and done, never again. Did the Haven with NCL and it was an overpriced terrible experience in a suite not even close to the Celebrity Retreat. I hope we are not saying the same about O after our first cruise with them in 2025.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We have said the same about. Carnival, NCL and Royal, once and done, never again. Did the Haven with NCL and it was an overpriced terrible experience in a suite not even close to the Celebrity Retreat. I hope we are not saying the same about O after our first cruise with them in 2025.

Thank you for that. We've not cruised NCL & no plans to do so; done Royal from time to time due to family, who like to get OUT there! (Ok, but not "our people"). Our past preference HAL has completely lost its way over the past 4-5 years (except the Neptune lounge beats O's).  We too cruise Celebrity Retreat, and an O penthouse on Riviera compares favorably. Plus Jacques and Red Ginger! Looking forward to another O (Marina) in May.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

Thank you for that. We've not cruised NCL & no plans to do so; done Royal from time to time due to family, who like to get OUT there! (Ok, but not "our people"). Our past preference HAL has completely lost its way over the past 4-5 years (except the Neptune lounge beats O's).  We too cruise Celebrity Retreat, and an O penthouse on Riviera compares favorably. Plus Jacques and Red Ginger! Looking forward to another O (Marina) in May.

and I love the Haven on NCL so to each his own!!

Jancruz1

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am surprised that nobody (in this thread) mentioned the new Explora Journeys cruise line.  They are wholly owned by MSC, have very deep pockets without the money issues facing NCLH, CCL and RCI, and will be building four 900 passenger (63,000+ tons) ships with two more under option.  It will be a luxury all-inclusive line with its first ship (Explora I) beginning operations in July.  These are all suite ships with multiple smaller sized restaurants.  In terms of space ratios these ships will be in the same arena as Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, etc. 

This new line has hired top folks from Seabourn, Regent, Azamara and O for starters.  In fact, their Senior Executive Chef, Fredrick Godineau spent 6 years with O.  Their head pastry chef was recruited from the Mandarin Oriental.  It sounds like they are willing to go the extra mile to bring in very experienced folks from the industry.

Hank

Thanks for the tip.  I wasn't aware of this new cruise line.  It's almost humorous to see that they are keeping with the cruise line tradition of inept IT departments as witnessed by their website search function that can't seem to include an accurate list of their destinations (e.g. Northern Europe missing despite it being their inaugural cruise)😁   

That aside, it seems to be an interesting new option in the luxury segment.  Such a shame that despite their inaugural cruise being the Norwegian Fjords, they don't repeat that itinerary in 2024 as that's next up on my bucket list.

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

Thanks for the tip.  I wasn't aware of this new cruise line.  It's almost humorous to see that they are keeping with the cruise line tradition of inept IT departments as witnessed by their website search function that can't seem to include an accurate list of their destinations (e.g. Northern Europe missing despite it being their inaugural cruise)😁   

That aside, it seems to be an interesting new option in the luxury segment.  Such a shame that despite their inaugural cruise being the Norwegian Fjords, they don't repeat that itinerary in 2024 as that's next up on my bucket list.

I mentioned they are derived from MSC, which, just like almost all the lines, has a lousy web site.  But. my cruise agent (who has a lot of experience in the industry) has been impressed with their customer service and a Virtual Reality briefing she received from the company.  We did book a cruise with them (Sept) as the early pricing was good and we have some faith in their managment team and ownership.  I suspect that most folks who have cruised in MSC's Yacht Club (ship within a ship) will have similar feelings.  MSC does some things well, and that is especially true about their Yacht Club (which I consider the best value in the entire cruise world).

When MSC originally announced that were spinning off a new luxury line, most of us thought it would just be an extension of what they do in their Yacht Club.  But Explora Journeys seems to be an entirely new and innovative product.  They   have moved away from a main dining room (in favor of multiple different venues) and are not building a large onboard theater...instead relying on multiple smaller venues (up to 4) for entertainment.  DW and I have been blessed to have cruised on 16 different lines (over decades) and look forward to our 17th :).  

Hank

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I mentioned they are derived from MSC, which, just like almost all the lines, has a lousy web site.  But. my cruise agent (who has a lot of experience in the industry) has been impressed with their customer service and a Virtual Reality briefing she received from the company.  We did book a cruise with them (Sept) as the early pricing was good and we have some faith in their managment team and ownership.  I suspect that most folks who have cruised in MSC's Yacht Club (ship within a ship) will have similar feelings.  MSC does some things well, and that is especially true about their Yacht Club (which I consider the best value in the entire cruise world).

When MSC originally announced that were spinning off a new luxury line, most of us thought it would just be an extension of what they do in their Yacht Club.  But Explora Journeys seems to be an entirely new and innovative product.  They   have moved away from a main dining room (in favor of multiple different venues) and are not building a large onboard theater...instead relying on multiple smaller venues (up to 4) for entertainment.  DW and I have been blessed to have cruised on 16 different lines (over decades) and look forward to our 17th :).  

Hank

I agree. I'm just disappointed that I can't book an itinerary similar to their inaugural cruise in 2024.  

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I know they hired the top Hotel Director on Azamara who had been with AZ for 15 years or so. I don't think she is going to be an HD on board but in upper management. Heike is a gem!! 

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

I know they hired the top Hotel Director on Azamara who had been with AZ for 15 years or so. I don't think she is going to be an HD on board but in upper management. Heike is a gem!! 

Heike was hired to be the "General Manager" of Explora I.  Not sure what General Manager means in their scheme other than it is an onboard position.  Here is a link to the press release:

Explora Journeys: New Onboard Management Roles; F&B Execs - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Hank

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Heike was hired to be the "General Manager" of Explora I.  Not sure what General Manager means in their scheme other than it is an onboard position.  Here is a link to the press release:

Explora Journeys: New Onboard Management Roles; F&B Execs - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Hank

I think the GM is just under the Captain    someone will correct me if not so

• Like 2