Luggage Direct and Airport Transportation

Arrowinc

We are disembarking at Port Everglades on Saturday, February 25, and plan on taking an 11:45 AM flight to Cincinnati.  We have used Luggage Direct in the past as to this flight without any problems.  However, I am always nervous about getting from ship to airport in plenty of time.  This being so, is it necessary to take the Holland America "bus" if we also use Luggage Direct, or can we disembark early and grab a cab?  We are four-star mariners, for what it is worth.  Thanks much for your answers.

Use of Luggage Direct is separate from using a HAL transfer. You can use one, the other, neither, or both. Your choice. 
Just be sure the 11:45 flight time is within the Luggage Direct guidelines, and feel free to take a cab. 

Ft. Lauderdale is one of the two ports that I, as a single, prefer to take a cab. It's a short hop, even less expensive than the HAL transfer (in most ports, the HAL transfer is less expensive). 

• Like 3

I second Ruth's comments. We always use Luggage Direct where offered. We have cruised from Ft Lauderdale and have used HALs transfers. Horrible bus loading process and time taken to get to the airport, which is only a few miles away. They won't leave until the bus is full. Cabs are easy to get, and LD folks are the first off after those that carry their own luggage. Great for those trying to get an early flight. Plus cost is much less than the transfer. On our cruise last Oct we used LD and got a cab minutes after leaving customs. Cab fare for the two of us was $20 which included tip. Transfers are much more. We've carried our luggage off when the cruises restarted last Jan when LD wasn't offered. Cab handled it just fine.   

21 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ft. Lauderdale is one of the two ports that I, as a single, prefer to take a cab. It's a short hop, even less expensive than the HAL transfer (in most ports, the HAL transfer is less expensive). 

Agree w/RuthC...and as always, her advice is spot on....Also adding that Uber/Lyft are also available at Port Everglades and that is our preference over Ft Lauderdale taxis.

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree w/RuthC...and as always, her advice is spot on....Also adding that Uber/Lyft are also available at Port Everglades and that is our preference over Ft Lauderdale taxis.

Do they allow Uber drivers to enter the port area in advance of someone requesting a ride or must they wait outside the gated area until a rider is confirmed?

Also, what is the advantage of using Uber/Lyft over a cab?

17 hours ago, regnig said:

Do they allow Uber drivers to enter the port area in advance of someone requesting a ride or must they wait outside the gated area until a rider is confirmed?

Yes, we took an Uber in November 2022 and they pull up in the taxi pick up area.  Same place as the taxis. The times we have used them at Port Everglades (4x in past two years), they are not onsite so you will wait for them just as you do for any other uber/lyft ride.  Taxi's are waiting.  Uber/Lyft we find is cheaper but it is all nominal if you are just heading to the FLL airport. 

Our experience has been excellent with Uber/Lyft and not so much with Fort Lauderdale taxis.  In November 2021, we grabbed a taxi at Port Everglades 'cause we were in a hurry.....we were heading to Amtrak and the driver took "the long way" by missing the exit.  We've experienced similar over the years and heard similar tails from our fellow Floridians when in Fort Lauderdale.  So just our preference and based on our experiences.  

• 1 month later...

Luggage Direct will service any port or airport so that's not a problem.

We did run into one thing with them.  We told them we were self disembarking from the QM2 in Brooklyn and wanted to make sure they would be there at 7:30.  The answer I got back was...'we are aware of the disembarkation time and one of our representatives will be there'.  I wasn't convinced and with good reason.

We got off the ship and waited, we had an early train and had scheduled a car service.  We waited and waited.  We got talking to a friendly HAL person there and she told us the guy doesn't usually show up until 8:15!  Luckily we (with this ladies help) were able to convince the people at the terminal front desk to hold onto our luggage until he arrived and took the luggage.  

I know 8:15 seems like a perfectly reasonable time, but they should have communicated that to us.  This may be a totally different situation down in Florida, maybe they do get there early enough for self disembarkation...I'd like to hear that from someone who as experienced it though.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:03 PM, regnig said:

I always use Uber if I can over a taxi. With taxis you pay by the mile and by the time - so if the taxi gets stuck in traffic or takes the scenic route you pay for it.  Its really common - even  in my home country - we've come off an international flight home - got a taxi and the airport ot a residential route  and was asked if we wanted the scenic route - hmmm nah.  

Uber the price is agreed up front - you see the price - you agree to it and book the ride. If they get lost, get stuck in traffic, whatever you're not paying anything extra. 

Also its safer - the app is tracking you - knows when you are picked up and by whom. A couple of times I've been seriously nervous it was in taxis 

15 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

@Cruise NH 

Luggage Direct only covered specific airlines and at pre determined times.  (ie not before 11am FLL or 2 pm MIA - (approx times only)).

Also you are required to disembark early in case of customs inspections.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Luggage-Direct-FLL.pdf

Thank you for the information. Exactly what I was looking for . 

• Like 1