La Spezia? Anything to do within a short drive?

skiiergirl

If you've already visited the villages of Cinque Terre you'll know that they and the train that serve them are seriously crowded, and  Limited Traffic Zones (ZTL) in the villages severely limit both access and parking for those who don't have permits.

But the elevated & twisting roads between the villages give glorious panoramic views of the coast (shades of the Amalfi coast) and - perhaps because of those limitations on village access & parking - traffic is light. There's parking at viewpoints. Rent as small a car as will fit your group.

Or unless an hour away is too far for you, consider the walled city of Lucca. Again, LTZs within the city walls, but plenty of parking lots just outside the walls

JB 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

Anything to do in LaSpezia within a short drive? 
We have done the long rides to Florence and Cinque Terre so looking for something closer to La Spezia? 
Maybe buy local products and have lunch with a view? 

open to suggestions! 
TIA

Market is great - you can walk 

Edited by Molokai_Traveler

You are spolied for choice as la Spezia is actually really well located for visits to several charming towns and has a train station..

As above, Porto Venere would be the closest and no need for a rental.

Further afield,"Tuscan gem" Lucca if you have not previoisly visited.

Also further afield in the opposite direction, Santa Margherita Ligure is pretty and also offer the option of a really short but scenic ferry ride across to tiny  pretty Portofino.

A rental isn't really necessary for any of these options as there are trains, although I believe Porto Venere is served by local buses as it is so close.

Images and tourist info for Porto Venere, Lucca, Santa Margherits Liguria and Portofino online also travel options betwen la Spezia and all of them.  Try Rome2Rio for starters.

And you could use the CC SEARCH option to pull up previous threads for all of the above mentioned and read the results for more info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:44 PM, euro cruiser said:

Cinque Terre is only about 20 minutes from La Spezia by car, or less than ten minutes by train, I'm not sure how much closer you're going to get than that.

Have you been to Porto Venere?  It's close, a nice small town with an old church out on the point.

Thanks!  We did a tour to Cinque Terre and it took like 2 hours each way!  My husband has vetoed that drive (ride) ever again!  It was gorgeous but everyone on the minibus were "green" (and we don't usually get bothered at all by motion!).

On 1/28/2023 at 3:18 AM, John Bull said:

If you've already visited the villages of Cinque Terre you'll know that they and the train that serve them are seriously crowded, and  Limited Traffic Zones (ZTL) in the villages severely limit both access and parking for those who don't have permits.

But the elevated & twisting roads between the villages give glorious panoramic views of the coast (shades of the Amalfi coast) and - perhaps because of those limitations on village access & parking - traffic is light. There's parking at viewpoints. Rent as small a car as will fit your group.

Or unless an hour away is too far for you, consider the walled city of Lucca. Again, LTZs within the city walls, but plenty of parking lots just outside the walls

JB 🙂

Thanks! We have done CT & Florence so looking for something closer. 

On 1/28/2023 at 4:13 AM, Molokai_Traveler said:

Market is great - you can walk 

Thanks!

On 1/28/2023 at 4:53 AM, edinburgher said:

You are spolied for choice as la Spezia is actually really well located for visits to several charming towns and has a train station..

As above, Porto Venere would be the closest and no need for a rental.

Further afield,"Tuscan gem" Lucca if you have not previoisly visited.

Also further afield in the opposite direction, Santa Margherita Ligure is pretty and also offer the option of a really short but scenic ferry ride across to tiny  pretty Portofino.

A rental isn't really necessary for any of these options as there are trains, although I believe Porto Venere is served by local buses as it is so close.

Images and tourist info for Porto Venere, Lucca, Santa Margherits Liguria and Portofino online also travel options betwen la Spezia and all of them.  Try Rome2Rio for starters.

And you could use the CC SEARCH option to pull up previous threads for all of the above mentioned and read the results for more info.

Thanks!

I am trying to understand "2 hours" between La Spezia and Riomaggiore (the closest Cinque Terre Village).  We have driven that route (multiple times) and it's about a 30 minute drive.  Even driving to the most distant village, Monterosso al Mare should only take about an hour.   We agree with the suggestion to visit Portovenere since it is relatively close and a charming place (unless it is overrun with tourists).

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I am trying to understand "2 hours" between La Spezia and Riomaggiore (the closest Cinque Terre Village).  We have driven that route (multiple times) and it's about a 30 minute drive.  Even driving to the most distant village, Monterosso al Mare should only take about an hour.   We agree with the suggestion to visit Portovenere since it is relatively close and a charming place (unless it is overrun with tourists).

Hank

Thanks for the suggestion of Portovenere.  

Don't know what to say about our experience of CT.  Not sure why it took so long.  Maybe our driver/guide took us on the "long way"?!?  

Just know that everyone in the mini-bus were "green" and wanting to kiss the ground when we got to the first village and for sure when we returned to the port. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

Don't know what to say about our experience of CT.  Not sure why it took so long.  Maybe our driver/guide took us on the "long way"?!?  

Just know that everyone in the mini-bus were "green" and wanting to kiss the ground when we got to the first village and for sure when we returned to the port. 

It almost sounds like your driver got lost, which can happen on those back roads.  As to turning green, I have been known to have that problem even when driving :(.  Never get seasick, but a windy road can do me in!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

Maybe on that cruise you ported at Livorno and went to Cinque Terre?  That's the only possible way I could figure 2 hours!

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Maybe on that cruise you ported at Livorno and went to Cinque Terre?  That's the only possible way I could figure 2 hours!

Nope. Definitely La Spezia.  Did Livorno many years ago but the CT tour was definitely from LS. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:21 AM, wisteria1019 said:

Portovenere is my favorite town in all of Italy. I revisit in my dreams often.

Any particular things to see?  Are there great little shops with Italian products?  (olive oil, etc)  Any great restaurant for lunch? 

Any recommendations for transportation to get there from the ship? 

Or a tour guide? 

Thanks so much!

We also will be stopping in 

LA Spezia for the day. We already have been to Florence and to Pisa so we really want to enjoy some of the local things. We don't mind doing a tour but doing things just on our own doesn't appeal to us at this time.

Is there a tour or tour company that might give us the best bang for our buck? If we have never been to this city, is there enough to do just around town, or would it be better to try and get out of town for a while?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Len

2 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We also will be stopping in 

LA Spezia for the day. We already have been to Florence and to Pisa so we really want to enjoy some of the local things. We don't mind doing a tour but doing things just on our own doesn't appeal to us at this time.

Is there a tour or tour company that might give us the best bang for our buck? If we have never been to this city, is there enough to do just around town, or would it be better to try and get out of town for a while?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Len

La Spezia is the best port from which to see the Cinque Terre ("five lands" or villages). Have you been there?  Worth looking into, but can be very crowded in peak season. You can go from village to village by train or by boat.

https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/planning-visit-cinque-terre

On 2/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, cruisemom42 said:

La Spezia is the best port from which to see the Cinque Terre ("five lands" or villages). Have you been there?  Worth looking into, but can be very crowded in peak season. You can go from village to village by train or by boat.

https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/planning-visit-cinque-terre

Thank you so much--you have been a wealth of info for a long time here.

I looked at the ferry timetable, and maybe I am not seeing this correctly. I see the times the ferry departs La Spezia and arrives at the other ports. Say I wanted to stay an hour in the first port, I could just catch the next ferry to the next port and so on. But unless I am not seeing this correctly how do I get back to La Spezia and what time? 

Cheers

Len

9 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Thank you so much--you have been a wealth of info for a long time here.

I looked at the ferry timetable, and maybe I am not seeing this correctly. I see the times the ferry departs La Spezia and arrives at the other ports. Say I wanted to stay an hour in the first port, I could just catch the next ferry to the next port and so on. But unless I am not seeing this correctly how do I get back to La Spezia and what time? 

Cheers

Len

The train is an option when all else fails. In an emergency,  take a taxi.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Giantfan13 said:

Once again, I was looking at the time table for the ferry and see the times going, but what about getting back to t he ship? Is there a time table for that also?

Cheers

Len

Hi Len, not sure exactly where you are looking, but if you're looking here:   https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/boat-excursions. -- note that the 2023 schedule isn't posted yet.

If it's the actual timetable you are looking at (shown below), the top half of the table shows the schedule from La Spezia, the one you want for your outbound trip. The portion under the first yellow header shows the outgoing times from La Spezia to the farthest spot (mostly Monterosso).  The portion under the second yellow header shows the returns from (mostly) Monterosso to La Spezia. Note that right now there are only two boats that do the full return to La Spezia in late afternoon. I assume in actual season there will be significantly more options/timings.

image.png.31c9acd5b2ded9b530deb15c198ad543.png

On 2/7/2023 at 7:27 PM, skiiergirl said:

Any particular things to see?  Are there great little shops with Italian products?  (olive oil, etc)  Any great restaurant for lunch? 

Any recommendations for transportation to get there from the ship? 

Or a tour guide? 

Thanks so much!

Portovenere. 
The bus line to Portovenere is the 11/P (duration: about 30 minutes, cost 3 euros). One bus every 10-30 minutes.

just walk across towards the funky church opposite the cruise terminal. Bus stop 🚏 is by the colonnades. Get your tickets from the tabacchi on your right as you look at the colonnade ( green awning I think) 

776ADC75-D4B2-4CB2-8945-08240E0B2123.jpeg

9D9C926E-B126-454A-B652-F746F38A7E9F.jpeg

04E3CE9C-E13B-44BD-8A7F-B382D534B363.jpeg

On 2/19/2023 at 7:46 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Len, not sure exactly where you are looking, but if you're looking here:   https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/boat-excursions. -- note that the 2023 schedule isn't posted yet.

If it's the actual timetable you are looking at (shown below), the top half of the table shows the schedule from La Spezia, the one you want for your outbound trip. The portion under the first yellow header shows the outgoing times from La Spezia to the farthest spot (mostly Monterosso).  The portion under the second yellow header shows the returns from (mostly) Monterosso to La Spezia. Note that right now there are only two boats that do the full return to La Spezia in late afternoon. I assume in actual season there will be significantly more options/timings.

image.png.31c9acd5b2ded9b530deb15c198ad543.png

Thanks so much. I see it all now. From these tables, it looks like the train back to LaSpezia is 5 PM and that would be cutting it awful close. I will wait until the 2023 times come out.

Thanks so much once again.

Cheers

Len

On 2/20/2023 at 5:21 AM, little britain said:

Portovenere. 
The bus line to Portovenere is the 11/P (duration: about 30 minutes, cost 3 euros). One bus every 10-30 minutes.

just walk across towards the funky church opposite the cruise terminal. Bus stop 🚏 is by the colonnades. Get your tickets from the tabacchi on your right as you look at the colonnade ( green awning I think) 

776ADC75-D4B2-4CB2-8945-08240E0B2123.jpeg

9D9C926E-B126-454A-B652-F746F38A7E9F.jpeg

04E3CE9C-E13B-44BD-8A7F-B382D534B363.jpeg

Is this restaurant in La Spezia or Porto Venere? 

Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, skiiergirl said:

Is this restaurant in La Spezia or Porto Venere? 

Thanks again! 

The pasta curtains are outside a little shop in portovenere - I dint see if it was a restaurant as well but it was a bakery 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, little britain said:

The pasta curtains are outside a little shop in portovenere - I dint see if it was a restaurant as well but it was a bakery 

Judging by the sign it is a Focacceria -- a place specializing in making focaccia, which originated in Liguria area.

• Like 1