General vibe on O

Sibsie

28 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

I am very surprised at the amount of age prejudice in the recent posts.  Believe it or not, everyone eventually gets old (in most cases better than the alternative).  If health allows, what difference does age make?  I guess if age of passengers on Oceania is a problem, other cruise lines may be better alternatives.

most of our cruises on O there have been  a wide range of ages   20 somethings to 80+ somethings  but average was 50 to 70's

You will meet people from every age range  but if you do not like old people  or children as some have expressed here  just avoid those people 😉

They will probably avoid you if  they are  against the grey haired generation (although I have very little)

We started cruising with O  in our mid 50's  we are now mid 70's

I am not up to running around in port all day so we usually  do tours of less than 5 hrs  or just DIY

The age  thing may be more noticeable on the small ships than the main stream monsters

On our spring '22 cruise to Alaska we noticed that the average age was much older than what we have experienced on our European cruises. Some of the more elderly people that we met and enjoyed told us that they don't travel internationally any more due to the long distance air travel. Perhaps this is a reason you might see an older average age in the North America cruises including the Caribbean. 

• Like 3

We met wonderful people in all age groups while we are traveling!

Some young at heart,some old in their young age...

Meeting people in all stages of their life ,

Listen and learn and laugh also share your own experiences is gift to our existence. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Follow-up to post 25 and 27, perhaps others………

7 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Thanks Robin for sharing the clarification to my post. 

hopefully we will meet up again on another I cruise soon.  
Mauibabes

Sorry.

There was no previous quote posted in the response, so it seemed to be on an island unknown.  But then, I don't remember all the posts back 20 or so.  Old person's memory....🙄.  Guess I should be in hospice and gum my food. 

• Haha 3

no one knows  the circumstances of  why people cruise  when they may not be in the best shape

A friend had a stroke at 47 spent 2 yrs in hospital  

He still did not walk well but  heck he was still alive   & they did several cruises even though he used a wheelchair onboard

Some ports he could not go ashore  but his wife went & took  many photos

You never know what life will throw at you  & when

Life has an expiry date  you just do not know  when that date is

• Like 6

6 hours ago, susiesan said:

I was on a 14 day Caribbean in December 2022 where the median age was 80+. The rule of thumb did not hold true for my cruise.

As I pointed out 14 days can go either way. 

Some of the very geriatric cruises can quickly drive younger new to Oceania cruisers away. If one is 55 going on 85, they may not notice or be exceedingly happy. OTH I’ve been on O cruises where the younger 10% swear never again. Cruises can vary tremendously and people have to decide their comfort level.

• Like 1

Met people of all ages on our 6/2022 Mediterranean cruise on Riviera.  Really enjoyed our fellow passengers.  There were actually a couple of small kids, but only saw them in passing.  We also mostly sailed with Celebrity previously, but I think we are Oceania converts!

• Like 1

Well…we have loved going on cruises as well as land travel for 20 years or so. My husband now has some mobility issues, so a cruise is a lovely way for us to get away. We’ll be on Riviera in March. Then in July we’ll be on Marina with our daughter (40s) and our 15 year old granddaughter, so I guess we’ll span the ages!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mauibabes said:

The source for the Feb. 7 cruise back to Buenos Aires was the Cruise Director on one of his comments sessions.  A friend on board was also inquiring about taking the return trip and that number was a part of their discussion. 
We are in the Fjords now with grey cloudy skies and breezy, but have to duck out into the Straights tonight for some rocking and rolling, 4 meter waves with 30 km winds.  Tomorrow about noon we duck out again and rock and roll during the day but will get a good nights sleep.  
Definitely bring your patches or other motion sickness potions. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Thanks... I'd hope that the CD would be in the know?  Can't imagine why the cabins wouldn't be showing online.  Enjoy the rest of your trip, we'll wave to you on the way down from Santiago!

15 hours ago, shepherd really said:

It has nothing to do with ageism and everything to do with how this demographic effects the atmosphere on board.   I simply do not enjoy cruising on a floating nursing home with the finest pureed cuisine at sea.  And to be clear, I'm not a youngster but I still have some life left in me.

Having spent 10 nights on Riviera (12/2021) and 10 more on Sirena (11/2022) my only concern is for how some physical limitations do adversely impact others. Having 3 people at once with walkers in the middle of the TC buffet area does impact others. The whole area grinds to a traffic jam halt. Same for a motorized scooter there or using an elevator. When the starboard sliding exit door to the outside eating area was Out of Order for days on Sirena, such things make a difference as the scooter struggles to go up a ramp and get outside, as we all hold our plates waiting. In a case like this, timing consideration or eating area consideration would've solved it (e.g., eat in the GDR or near the beginning or end of the TC serving time when numbers are down).

BUT since we're port intensive and exit the ship early and stay off it in port, I could care less what people did on the ship those days. And we didn't have many issues around the pool or in Horizons or the lounge for the comic.

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am very surprised at the amount of age prejudice in the recent posts.

Ageism is rampart in Western culture. One day I believe (hope) it will be as taboo as saying something racist is in most of society today, but people have to learn and indeed be called out. People who wouldn't dream of saying anything racist or even sexist or homophobic have no problem disparaging the aged. Most of them probably aren't aware of the crassness of their verbalized biases, and that what they are saying is discriminatory and, indeed, quite hurtful to others. 

I agree it is surprising to encounter so much age prejudice on a cruise message board. You would think this would be one of the last places you'd find it. 

May all beings be free of enmity.  

• Like 6

Vacations are personally funded events that reflect how people want to spend their funds. I have friends my age that just returned from a dive trip to Honduras. Friends that take golfing vacations, fishing or hunting trips, and some that cruise. I have no friends that spend their vacation hanging out at a local assisted living home. I guess one above poster believes that’s ageism.

Within the cruising community there are numerous competitors to choose from according to one’s circumstances. I don’t personally believe it’s ageist to prefer cruise lines that don’t resemble assisted living facilities. The OP asked about the “ vibe” on Oceania. Posters here are merely giving their observations on how certain Oceania cruises stack up in that regard. It appears on Oceania to be a mixed bag or as one movie character says” a box of chocolates “. You’ll never know what you’ll get until you board the ship that day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Vacations are personally funded events that reflect how people want to spend their funds. I have friends my age that just returned from a dive trip to Honduras. Friends that take golfing vacations, fishing or hunting trips, and some that cruise. I have no friends that spend their vacation hanging out at a local assisted living home. I guess one above poster believes that’s ageism.

Within the cruising community there are numerous competitors to choose from according to one’s circumstances. I don’t personally believe it’s ageist to prefer cruise lines that don’t resemble assisted living facilities. The OP asked about the “ vibe” on Oceania. Posters here are merely giving their observations on how certain Oceania cruises stack up in that regard. It appears on Oceania to be a mixed bag or as one movie character says” a box of chocolates “. You’ll never know what you’ll get until you board the ship that day.

Thx for this.
Not every observation or comment should be by default “offensive”.

5 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Ageism is rampart in Western culture. One day I believe (hope) it will be as taboo as saying something racist is in most of society today, but people have to learn and indeed be called out.

I think you misquoted me  I did not post the  quoted  comment