Quick Arvia Review

Mad4WDW

1 hour ago, Mad4WDW said:

Our friends were in one of the large balconies with the extra side on view down the side of the ship, it was huge. They video'd the noise, it was horrendous, very very loud from about 3:30am every night and lasted a couple hours. It wasn't noise from the balcony it was what I'd describe as pipework noise. Almost like a pipe under sudden pressure then release that was causing rattling. They were in 15242 port side. Several of their neighbours had similar noise and were also moved. Sounds like you were right by them so were lucky if you didn't get the same problem. They need to take the room out of service IMHO and get access into the ceiling space, it probably needs rubber dampening fitter to stop the rattling of metal against metal. We were in 15235 and heard a little bit of noise at the same time, not enough to wake us but I heard it one night when I got up to go to the loo. 

I think P & O made things worse by lying to our friends about no one else complaining when they'd already spoke to several people about it. They were talking to all the cabins around them because their balcony overlooked them all 🤣

Yep skydome closed with aircon on is bizarre! It was really under utilised, the chairs in there don't help, having it open with actual loungers like on deck in at least part of it would help.

What a shame for them, amazing that we heard nothing.

I did notice the door to the crew area there was constantly open, could that have had something to do with it?

1 hour ago, Mad4WDW said:

Our friends were in one of the large balconies with the extra side on view down the side of the ship, it was huge. They video'd the noise, it was horrendous, very very loud from about 3:30am every night and lasted a couple hours. It wasn't noise from the balcony it was what I'd describe as pipework noise. Almost like a pipe under sudden pressure then release that was causing rattling. They were in 15242 port side. Several of their neighbours had similar noise and were also moved. Sounds like you were right by them so were lucky if you didn't get the same problem. They need to take the room out of service IMHO and get access into the ceiling space, it probably needs rubber dampening fitter to stop the rattling of metal against metal. We were in 15235 and heard a little bit of noise at the same time, not enough to wake us but I heard it one night when I got up to go to the loo. 

I think P & O made things worse by lying to our friends about no one else complaining when they'd already spoke to several people about it. They were talking to all the cabins around them because their balcony overlooked them all 🤣

Yep skydome closed with aircon on is bizarre! It was really under utilised, the chairs in there don't help, having it open with actual loungers like on deck in at least part of it would help.

I did notice the door to the crew area there was constantly open, could that have had something to do with it?

29 minutes ago, Sonyar said:

No it wasn't that door, it was overhead metal on metal grating and rattling. And nothing was rattling inside the cabin. Glad you weren't affected 🙂 

• Like 1

Two decks above is the Epicurian galley and a lot of white space. Maybe some sort of food waste processing or other procedure that is scheduled for early morning. I have 17219 in April on the starboard side which might help

5 hours ago, Sonyar said:

Apologies folks, how do I delete all these repeated replies?

You can report your post to the mods for deletion. If you press the 3 dots on the right of the post, it will give you the option to report - just say it duplicated by accident and they will fix it. 

• Like 2

Just back from Arvia. Would we go again?  No!  Like many regular cruisers some of the new market P&o are attracting are not people I wish to associate with.  

epicurean saved us from walking off.  MDR food was average at best.  Celebration night was oddly the worst food.  Excellent breakfasts.  Service was generally very good indeed in all departments.   Brodies and club lounge after dark were simply avoided but in sea days those that frequented those venues were up by 6:30 reserving loungers.

smoking area on deck 18 was a no go area.  

overall p&o need to re assess which market they are in. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Same with Iona - cheap prices and dubious passengers. Stick to the older ships. 

Or change cruise lines altogether. Wouldn't pay the high prices P&O charge for balcony cabins on Aurora/Arcadia would prefer Queen Victoria with gar better food and cruise experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cheshire said:

Just back from Arvia. Would we go again?  No!  Like many regular cruisers some of the new market P&o are attracting are not people I wish to associate with.  

epicurean saved us from walking off.  MDR food was average at best.  Celebration night was oddly the worst food.  Excellent breakfasts.  Service was generally very good indeed in all departments.   Brodies and club lounge after dark were simply avoided but in sea days those that frequented those venues were up by 6:30 reserving loungers.

smoking area on deck 18 was a no go area.  

overall p&o need to re assess which market they are in. 

My mate has just embarked on Arvia for his debut cruise. Hope he's behaving himself in Brodie's.

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Same with Iona - cheap prices and dubious passengers. Stick to the older ships. 

There were groups of dubious passengers on Ventura years ago. This is true because I was there at the time. Luckily my cabin was nowhere near their cabins.

17 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

You can report your post to the mods for deletion. If you press the 3 dots on the right of the post, it will give you the option to report - just say it duplicated by accident and they will fix it. 

Thanks I have already done that, but was hoping to be able to delete them myself.🙂

We got home Sunday morning and really enjoyed our cruise.

We loved the diner, Olive Grove, 710 Club, Skywalk course and mini golf. The entertainment was mostly excellent. 

The food in Green & Co was wonderful, we ate there three times.

It was nice to see a lot more younger people on board. I'm late 50s and the only moaning/arguing I witnessed was folk my age or older.

We met some great people and will definitely book Arvia again.

Edited by Sonyar
Addition
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Sonyar said:

We loved the diner, Olive Grove, 710 Club, Skywalk course and mini golf. The entertainment was mostly excellent. 

It was nice to see a lot more younger people on board. I'm late 50s and the only moaning/arguing I witnessed was folk my age or older.

It’s not down to age it was the outlook, behaviour and attitude of some onboard that I and in fact many younger couples also didn’t approve of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sonyar said:

Totally agree, we saw some very rude older passengers who I would consider to be longer term P & O customers by the look of them.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

We enjoyed Olive Grove on Iona but the menu on Arvia looks reduced in items.

No starter sharing platters or main course pizza? 

Can anyone who's been on both ships compare their experiences at the Olive Grove.

Many thanks

I concur that the menu on Arvia was poor.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, solentsam said:

we liked it on both , The extra items which you pay for has now gone so it all free thats why the limed menu, cant complain IMHO

Thanks - we will find out soon! Can't wait. 

We really liked Iona, hence why we booked Arvia so quickly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reviews - we’re really looking forward to our first transatlantic cruise on Arvia, we’ve been on Iona and at the time we said ‘bet it’ll be a bun fight for sun beds in warmer climates, there doesn’t look many of them’ fingers crossed our balcony will be on the sunny side 😂

Gill

56 minutes ago, beryl patricia said:

Thanks for the reviews - we’re really looking forward to our first transatlantic cruise on Arvia, we’ve been on Iona and at the time we said ‘bet it’ll be a bun fight for sun beds in warmer climates, there doesn’t look many of them’ fingers crossed our balcony will be on the sunny side 😂

Gill

If your balcony is on the starboard side then you've cracked it, as you will get the sun morning until evening heading back towards Southampton.🌞

You will probably find, if you are on the promenade deck and fancy getting away from the sun worshippers hogging the sunbeds on the Transatlantic leg, the port side will be quieter as will be the infinity whirlpools (or, as our friend calls them: sex ponds) on that side.🙄

Edited by TigerB

On 2/10/2023 at 12:56 AM, TigerB said:

If your balcony is on the starboard side then you've cracked it, as you will get the sun morning until evening heading back towards Southampton.🌞

You will probably find, if you are on the promenade deck and fancy getting away from the sun worshippers hogging the sunbeds on the Transatlantic leg, the port side will be quieter as will be the infinity whirlpools (or, as our friend calls them: sex ponds) on that side.🙄

Thanks, yes we’re on starboard deck 14  - Will be strange packing shorts and t shirts for the first part of the cruise but also jumpers and trousers for the second part 🤪 (but hoping won’t need till the last couple of days) I’m not going to be able to walk past the whirlpools now without a chuckle at your description 😂

• Like 1