Specialty restaurants - kids?

sboston06

We have two reservations made for our upcoming cruise in the specialty restaurants…Moderno and Teppanyaki. I think our free at sea promo gives the two adults a free meal there but our child would be a La carte? Do they have a separate kids menu or is it one menu for everyone? 

she is so excited to wear her “fancy” dresses on the cruise! She’ll likely be better dressed than most adults haha 😉

11 hours ago, sboston06 said:

We have two reservations made for our upcoming cruise in the specialty restaurants…Moderno and Teppanyaki. I think our free at sea promo gives the two adults a free meal there but our child would be a La carte? Do they have a separate kids menu or is it one menu for everyone? 

she is so excited to wear her “fancy” dresses on the cruise! She’ll likely be better dressed than most adults haha 😉

Teppanyaki has so much food and no take home leftovers that we always share. Our now 15 year old Daughter has never left hungry.

If unsure, order free kids meal and then share. They don't mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Teppanyaki has so much food and no take home leftovers that we always share. Our now 15 year old Daughter has never left hungry.

If unsure, order free kids meal and then share. They don't mind.

This is what we did with our grandson his first time there (and in other venues). Not an issue just be sure they know the child will not be getting the dinner from their menu first thing.

10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If you're going to order from the kids' menu at Teppanyaki, let them know as soon as you get to the restaurant. It takes time for someone to fetch the kids' food.

The kids menu is the same as the rest of the restaurants onboard, posted on this thread, kids can order from it everywhere. ETA quoted the wrong person.

Edited by mjkacmom
  • Like 1

We've been sailing with our kids for years and found you can also order anything from the menus of main dining rooms. The kids menu is pretty lackluster (as you can see above) so we just took a picture of MDR menus and ordered. No one has ever questioned it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The kids menu is the same as the rest of the restaurants onboard, posted on this thread, kids can order from it everywhere. ETA quoted the wrong person.

It's the same menu but Teppanyaki has limited staff to fetch the burger/fries, etc. The other specialty restaurants have more crew to spare. When my kids were younger, that's what we did at Teppanyaki. Before we were even seated, we told the woman at the desk. It still took a while for the kids' food to arrive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's the same menu but Teppanyaki has limited staff to fetch the burger/fries, etc. The other specialty restaurants have more crew to spare. When my kids were younger, that's what we did at Teppanyaki. Before we were even seated, we told the woman at the desk. It still took a while for the kids' food to arrive.

A couple years ago kids meal did arrive when the show was over. She didn't want it anyway.

Good advice to order early. 

• Like 1

So Teppanyaki and Moderno are both $59.  If she's going to go with the adult meal instead of a kids meal (the kids menu is... uninspiring... my tweenager got sick of it pretty quick, and her next cruise she'll be eating off the adult menu), you might find it more cost-effective to buy her a five-meal package, and then choose a third specialty restaurant to visit... just at the third one, tell them you're using the three meals on her package.  A two-meal package is around $120 but a five-meal package is only about $100 more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wally4ever said:

So Teppanyaki and Moderno are both $59.  If she's going to go with the adult meal instead of a kids meal (the kids menu is... uninspiring... my tweenager got sick of it pretty quick, and her next cruise she'll be eating off the adult menu), you might find it more cost-effective to buy her a five-meal package, and then choose a third specialty restaurant to visit... just at the third one, tell them you're using the three meals on her package.  A two-meal package is around $120 but a five-meal package is only about $100 more.

I don’t think you can transfer meals in a package, if you buy her 5 she will need to get those 5 meals herself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wally4ever said:

just at the third one, tell them you're using the three meals on her package. 

Dining package credits are non-transferrable. They have to be used by the person who bought them. I.e., you can't use 3 credits off your kid's package for yourself. 

• Like 1

We did Bliss last week and yes, that same kids menu is everywhere. I wish they had better options and even the food they have on it is not kid-friendly.

My 4 year old got the chicken tenders the first day (usually his favorite) and it was way too spicy (I even thought so and couldn't eat it). The hot dog is also pretty thick so definitely needs to be cut. 

The pizza at the buffet was way better than that one on the kids menu.

It may be better for older children. The Buffet is great though and has lots of options.

Edited by SuzieQ521

9 hours ago, carohs said:

That kids menu is totally uninspired. There's better options at the buffet right? Can the kids order off the regular menu in the MDR?

Kids can eat anything they want off the MDR menu. If you are in the MDR, there is no reason to eat off the Kids Menu unless that's all your kids want to eat. 

Or The Local/O'Sheehan's as another complimentary dining option.

Room service will cost 'ya $10 delivery for everything you want off their menu. 

Edited by BirdTravels