Japan April 2024 on the Muse

commodoredave

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

I have been hoping to do a Japan intensive cruise for several years, and the Muse has several departing in April 2024.  Any advice on whether this might be a good option, and if so, do you have a cabin recommendation? Thanks.

I am doing a Japan circumnavigation on Silver Muse this September, so of course I would recommend it. 🙂  I have already chosen shore excursions and printed out the list. S/S seems to be very port intensive, with many good tours to choose from.  As to cabins, so much depends on your preferences and what you are prepared to pay.  It's no good recommending a Silver Suite if you are only wanting to pay for Vista class!  (I am in a veranda suite and am very happy with the forward location as the seas tend not to be rough for this trip.  Classic Veranda suites are just higher decks and midships.)

We are already booked on the Muse sailing from Bali to Yokohama and then from April third continuing on to circumnavigate Honshu. It should be good for cherry blossom viewing for most of the ports.

The voyage afterwards would be good for the more northern ports and Hokkaido.

Definitely the best time to visit Japan though the best spots for viewing cherry blossom will be crowded.

Get a starboard side room (odd number) as this option gives you land views instead of sea on your trip. On mine in April this year, I've got an odd number but trying now to get changed to even as its going the opposite direction to yours.

Makes a difference also for phone use (data or calls) as the signal wont get through the steel hull as well as covering several miles from the cost. Obviously keep your eye on the signal and dont let it slip to maritime or satellite. I intend on getting a sim sent to me from Japan, which may be of interest to anyone not wanting to be hit by crazy data and call charges and happy to not have your personal number in use for calls. (WhatsApp and facetime etc will still be fine.)

https://www.simcardgeek.com/product-category/japan-sim-cards-for-tourists/

I've gone for the data only 12 days unlimited for 4980 Yen (I only need 10 days but best value to cover everything.)

Edited by les37b

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Salbags58 said:

Hi

I am looking at Silver Moon departing 9th April so what would be land side odd or even.  Also from comments above, I always thought mid ship was best for less rock and roll?

Thanks

Starboard cabins are odd numbers. These are land side on the first part of the cruise.  The second half of the cruise has land to the port side (even numbers).  Yes, midships is more stable for less sensation of pitching, but some seas are calmer and some passengers are not bothered by rough seas.  There can be many reasons for which location someone prefers.

• Like 1