arvia port or starboard room?

kirk87

hi we are looking to book a mediterranean cruise on arvia 28th april next year, could anyone tell me wether it would be better with a port side cabin or starboard cabin to see views of the city when docked in ports, hoping someone who has been on this cruise would know. thanks

Broadly speaking on the journey south from Southampton to Gibraltar ports side cabins will get the sun in the morning and starboard side cabins in the afternoon. The reverse being true on the return journey.  Of course neither may be true around midday. As for berthing this varies from port to port so maybe you could check on the Cruise ship tracker or Marine traffic sites on days when Arvia is due in those ports.

Edited by davecttr

would any of you know be able to recommend the best part of the ship to get a cabin? we have been looking at decks 14,15,16, is it better to be higher up for better views? is midships best because its in the middle, we also looked at mid forward but the rooms seem to be set further back so would that limit our views? appreciate any help

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We never go for high decks.  Movement of the ship is felt more up high.  Go for midships lower down if you can.

I am happy to be corrected, but I think that I have read/seen that the deck 5 balconies may need to be covered in rough weather.  If that is the case then the lowest ones may not be the best choice.

1 hour ago, kirk87 said:

would any of you know be able to recommend the best part of the ship to get a cabin? we have been looking at decks 14,15,16, is it better to be higher up for better views? is midships best because its in the middle, we also looked at mid forward but the rooms seem to be set further back so would that limit our views? appreciate any help

I wouldn't worry too much about the cabin placement for views, just go out on deck where you can get a 360o view. For stability low deck midship is best but unless the sea is rough or you are not a good sailors it is not critical, there is an old saying for cruising "the more you pay the more you sway" referring to suites being on the upper decks, which is changing with the newer ships.

Even with a balcony we like to get easily out on to the open decks so we choose a cabin usually one above the prom deck, and we have been right astern (the back!) and not found it a problem on a modern ship. havent been on Arvia though. Especially with children, you wont spend much time in your cabin, so I d look at how near it is to the entertainments, eating and pools. 

re the side against the dock, sometimes the best views are from the seaward side (eg Malta). and often the land side is very noisy for the whole day with loading of supplies and fuel.  

Its a bit swings and roundabouts, another thing to know is that many captains will turn the ship before docking to facilitate a speedy departure, so you can often kind of guess which side with be the side by the dock. 

Two recent posters on the boards have reported noise issues on Deck 15 of Arvia, both for balcony and insides cabins.  It might be wise to avoid that deck just in case. Try to get a cabin with cabins above and below you whichever position you choose.

Personally I love high up forward but many hate the movement. Also aft facing cabins are fabulous but you will hear some noise and vibration there, and again if you aren't sure of your sea legs something to consider.

Edited by Megabear2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Two recent posters on the boards have reported noise issues on Deck 15 of Arvia, both for balcony and insides cabins.  It might be wise to avoid that deck just in case. Try to get a cabin with cabins above and below you whichever position you choose.

Personally I love high up forward but many hate the movement. Also aft facing cabins are fabulous but you will hear some noise and vibration there, and again if you aren't sure of your sea legs something to consider.

thanks for your reply megabear we appreciate it