Need to cancel a cruise, can I switch to another cruise in the future?

4774Papa

We are booked on a transatlantic cruise departing 22 April, which is 70 days from now.   Need to cancel due to health reasons, preexisting, so can't claim insurance.

I can still get a 50% refund up until 9 days from today.

Does Royal C. have any other options like transferring to a cruise in the future?

Yes, we just did this.  We had put down a $500 non-refundable deposit on a May sailing (just short of final payment date) and it was looking like I wouldn't be able to get the time off work.  So they let us move it to another ship/sailing later this year for $100 fee per person.  So the net result is that we now have a $300 deposit instead of a $500 deposit on that sailing.

4 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

Yes, we just did this.  We had put down a $500 non-refundable deposit on a May sailing (just short of final payment date) and it was looking like I wouldn't be able to get the time off work.  So they let us move it to another ship/sailing later this year for $100 fee per person.  So the net result is that we now have a $300 deposit instead of a $500 deposit on that sailing.

This is not the same situation, but perhaps I could give it a shot. thanks

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We are booked on a transatlantic cruise departing 22 April, which is 70 days from now.   Need to cancel due to health reasons, preexisting, so can't claim insurance.

Does Royal C. have any other options like transferring to a cruise in the future?

As you said you have until 61 days prior to your cruise to get a 50% refund.  They will first issue a 100% refund for port fees and taxes as well as prepaid gratuities if those were added.  You will then get a 50% refund on the cruise fare.

There are no other options other than trying to file a claim with the insurance that you purchased.

image.thumb.png.5c2b47876787afbb10d62ca1fa6441b3.png

Edited by Ourusualbeach

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The detail might be different but the result should be the same - $100pp penalty for moving to another sailing.

The OP is well past final payment and cancellation rules apply. You can’t wait until the day before your cruise and decide to move it for $100. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Look at your insurance, the pre-existing clause varies depending on what insurance you bought. My insurance says as long as there were no medication changes within 60 days prior to my purchasing the insurance, they cover emergencies. 

You still might be able to make a claim with your insurance, depending on the full extent of the coverage. If there's a cancel-for-any reason clause you can get 75% back in cash if the insurance is third-party independent insurance. If it's the insurance Royal Caribbean sells, you can get 90% back in the form of a future cruise credit.