If I buy Princess Plus on the ship, is it slightly cheaper than before the cruise?

Coral

I booked standard fare. If I upgrade to Princess Plus via the Cruise Personalizer it says it is $712 for an 11 night cruise (it must increase the cost of insurance?).

If I book it on the ship will it be $660? I have OBC so I was thinking I could put OBC towards it, right?

Still debating as I don't drink enough to make it worth it. Just looking at options.

We are eagerly awaiting response from a Feb 20 cruiser, hoping they confirm that OBC can be applied to Plus purchase. I think it should but feels too good to be true. I had not thought about the insurance aspect, good point.

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We are eagerly awaiting response from a Feb 20 cruiser, hoping they confirm that OBC can be applied to Plus purchase. I think it should but feels too good to be true. I had not thought about the insurance aspect, good point.

Good point. We will have to wait until February 20th. I have quite a bit OBC. If not, not a big deal, it can go towards internet and tips (and then some left over). And then a few drinks.

Edited by Coral

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Good point. We will have to wait until February 20th. I have quite a bit OBC. If not, not a big deal, it can go towards internet and tips (and then some left over). And then a few drinks.

We are in synch with you. Had decided just to go Standard on our next cruise, pretty good OBC to cover Grats and a few drinks. However, if that OBC can be applied onboard, then Plus is a no brainer. We would actually be spending more than with Std but feel it is a win-win

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

We are in synch with you. Had decided just to go Standard on our next cruise, pretty good OBC to cover Grats and a few drinks. However, if that OBC can be applied onboard, then Plus is a no brainer. We would actually be spending more than with Std but feel it is a win-win

I am doing most excursions privately so it makes sense. I think.

2 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

You cannot upgrade to Plus onboard.  And yes, the insurance goes up because Plus is a fare component, not an onboard purchase.  

From the FAQ: 

1. Can I purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier when I’m on board?
    Yes. Princess Plus and Princess Premier will be available to purchase on board beginning with voyages sailing 2/20/23 and beyond. You may purchase a package on the first day of your voyage.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

You cannot upgrade to Plus onboard.  And yes, the insurance goes up because Plus is a fare component, not an onboard purchase.  

According to the website you can:

1. Can I purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier when I’m on board?
    Yes. Princess Plus and Princess Premier will be available to purchase on board beginning with voyages sailing 2/20/23 and beyond. You may purchase a package on the first day of your voyage.

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Please elaborate regarding FCD. My gut says anything purcgased is charged to your account and OBC is depleted against those expenses. Apparently recent promo 'Excursion OBC' could be used for any expense.

When you purchase FCD's they are immediately charged to the credit card on file.  They do not go thru your onboard account and you cannot use OBC's to purchase them.

• Like 3

I’m hoping that one person in the cabin can upgrade to the premier package without the other one doing so once onboard.  The biggest benefit to the premier package for me is the better wine.  My DH?  He doesn’t much care.  So, for $20 a day vs $40 a day, I would definitely jump on that.  
fingers crossed!  

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’m hoping that one person in the cabin can upgrade to the premier package without the other one doing so once onboard.  The biggest benefit to the premier package for me is the better wine.  My DH?  He doesn’t much care.  So, for $20 a day vs $40 a day, I would definitely jump on that.  
fingers crossed!  

I spoke to someone at Princess (1-800-number) a couple of weeks ago and asked a similar question about the Plus package.  She said that the Princess Plus package would cost the same once we board the ship as it does today.  When I asked if just one of us could purchase it if we wait until we are on the ship, she said, "no, both guests 1& 2 would both have to purchase it."  I should note that she paused and took a moment to "look" for the correct answer before she blurted it out...instead of just guessing.  She said the Plus Beverage package could be purchased by a single guest in the cabin, but it costs more per person ($76.70/day) than the Princess Plus package ($60/day).   The premier bev. package is currently $100.30/day/pp.  

6 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

I spoke to someone at Princess (1-800-number) a couple of weeks ago and asked a similar question about the Plus package.  She said that the Princess Plus package would cost the same once we board the ship as it does today.  When I asked if just one of us could purchase it if we wait until we are on the ship, she said, "no, both guests 1& 2 would both have to purchase it."  I should note that she paused and took a moment to "look" for the correct answer before she blurted it out...instead of just guessing.  She said the Plus Beverage package could be purchased by a single guest in the cabin, but it costs more per person ($76.70/day) than the Princess Plus package ($60/day).   The premier bev. package is currently $100.30/day/pp.  

Wow … thank you!  It pays to just both upgrade to the premier package in that case.  

6 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

The price is $60. The main difference is if you purchase it on the ship, if they add on the cost of Princess insurance? It doesn't seem like they would. Unfortunately on this next cruise, I did buy Princess insurance so I can't try purchasing it with out having Princess insurance included. Maybe someone who doesn't have insurance included can try.

2 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

The early poster was asking if one person could buy Plus and the other person buy Premier. So both passengers are covered. It would make sense to allow this but I'll bet Princess system is not equipped to do this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

The price is $60. The main difference is if you purchase it on the ship, if they add on the cost of Princess insurance? It doesn't seem like they would. Unfortunately on this next cruise, I did buy Princess insurance so I can't try purchasing it with out having Princess insurance included. Maybe someone who doesn't have insurance included can try.

I realize the price of Princess Plus is $60 pp/day.  Someone asked if one guest in the cabin could purchase Princess Premier once on board without the 2nd guest purchasing it.  As we all know, pre-cruise if one guest purchases it, the 2nd guest must get it too.  I was told that policy would be the same for Princess Plus (or Princess Premier) if purchased on board, but the Plus Beverage Package (or Premier Beverage Package) could be purchased by only one of the guests in a cabin.  The Plus Beverage Package is $76.70pp/day &  the Premier Beverage Package is $100.30pp/day.  Those prices do not include insurance, but do include an 18% service charge.  I didn't ask if trip insurance would be included to Princess Plus if added on board the ship, so I can't comment on that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

The early poster was asking if one person could buy Plus and the other person buy Premier. So both passengers are covered. It would make sense to allow this but I'll bet Princess system is not equipped to do this.

My understanding was this would not be allowed, but I'm eager to hear what is actually implemented on the ships.  I suppose we should start getting real world experience in the next few weeks.  I'd LOVE to hear we can mix-and-match the Princess Plus/Premier.  That would make my decision so much easier.  Fingers crossed!  

13 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

I realize the price of Princess Plus is $60 pp/day.  Someone asked if one guest in the cabin could purchase Princess Premier once on board without the 2nd guest purchasing it.  As we all know, pre-cruise if one guest purchases it, the 2nd guest must get it too.  I was told that policy would be the same for Princess Plus (or Princess Premier) if purchased on board, but the Plus Beverage Package (or Premier Beverage Package) could be purchased by only one of the guests in a cabin.  The Plus Beverage Package is $76.70pp/day &  the Premier Beverage Package is $100.30pp/day.  Those prices do not include insurance, but do include an 18% service charge.  I didn't ask if trip insurance would be included to Princess Plus if added on board the ship, so I can't comment on that.  

The website says:

Selected Upgrade

• If applicable, your Future Cruise Credit deductions and Princess Vacation Protection increase have been automatically applied.
  • In some circumstances, package upgrades may increase your cruise fare. Please review your remaining balance on the Payment page or contact your travel advisor.

------

Thus - I was thinking it was increasing the cost of insurance as it increases the cost of cruise fare and that will increase cost of insurance.

I could be wrong. The numbers don't make sense if I add 18% off the total amount, unless they are only doing a portion on the drink part.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

The website says:

Selected Upgrade

• If applicable, your Future Cruise Credit deductions and Princess Vacation Protection increase have been automatically applied.
  • In some circumstances, package upgrades may increase your cruise fare. Please review your remaining balance on the Payment page or contact your travel advisor.

------

Thus - I was thinking it was increasing the cost of insurance as it increases the cost of cruise fare and that will increase cost of insurance.

I could be wrong. The numbers don't make sense if I add 18% off the total amount, unless they are only doing a portion on the drink part.

This is situation where Princess' naming convention is confusing...it is kind of like the mini-suites that aren't really suites when it comes to extra perks.  There is Princess Plus ($60 pp/day) and Princess Premier ($80 pp/day).  These both include crew appreciation, wifi, either the Plus Beverage Package or the Premier Beverage Package and a few other perks that I'm not going to list.  I purchased insurance through Princess so if I purchase Princess Plus right now before my sailing date, I will pay slightly more than the $60 pp/day because I'll be charged a percentage for travel insurance premium.  I do not know if this will be the case if I purchase onboard the ship.  

The prices I mentioned above are for the Princess Plus Beverage Package.  It costs $64.99/day + 18% service charge totaling $76.70/day.  It is the same beverage package that is included with Princess Plus which only costs $60/day, but the Beverage package does not have to be purchased by guests 1 & 2 where as the Princess Plus does.  Depending on the length of the cruise, if only 1 guest in the cabin drinks alcoholic beverages, and neither care about wifi, the beverage package for one guest might be cheaper than the Princess Plus for both guests.  

My apologies to the OP!  I thought I was being helpful trying to answer @Cruise Raiderquestion.  I didn't mean to steer us off course!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

This is situation where Princess' naming convention is confusing...it is kind of like the mini-suites that aren't really suites when it comes to extra perks.  There is Princess Plus ($60 pp/day) and Princess Premier ($80 pp/day).  These both include crew appreciation, wifi, either the Plus Beverage Package or the Premier Beverage Package and a few other perks that I'm not going to list.  I purchased insurance through Princess so if I purchase Princess Plus right now before my sailing date, I will pay slightly more than the $60 pp/day because I'll be charged a percentage for travel insurance premium.  I do not know if this will be the case if I purchase onboard the ship.  

The prices I mentioned above are for the Princess Plus Beverage Package.  It costs $64.99/day + 18% service charge totaling $76.70/day.  It is the same beverage package that is included with Princess Plus which only costs $60/day, but the Beverage package does not have to be purchased by guests 1 & 2 where as the Princess Plus does.  Depending on the length of the cruise, if only 1 guest in the cabin drinks alcoholic beverages, and neither care about wifi, the beverage package for one guest might be cheaper than the Princess Plus for both guests.  

My apologies to the OP!  I thought I was being helpful trying to answer @Cruise Raiderquestion.  I didn't mean to steer us off course!!  

Got it - I should have figured out what you were referring to! Sorry.

I get where you are coming from now 🙂 

• Like 1

If my meory serves me correctly. when we were on a celebrity cruise we both had basic drink package and upgraded just one of us to the extra package. Just saying this to suggest it is a reasonable request, that one person might enjoy the extra benefits.

• Like 2