Specialty Dining

Kybee

When you dine in a speciality restaurant can you order whatever you want or are you limited to one item per “catagory” (I.e. appetizer, entree, dessert)?  For example, if I want 2 apps, plus a salad, can you do that?  We’re considering Tuscan Grille on our next cruise as we’ve heard good things.  Haven’t said that, on our previous cruises we lived the food in the main dining! 

Yes, you can order multiple items within the courses.  That's always been my experience.   You can also ask for half portions of items.  Some things can't be served that way but many can be.  You can also ask for some things to be split between people.  

One exception was Eden.  Half portions would have messed up presentation on some things so they encouraged full orders.  They did however split the risotto so some things they are able to do. 

It's a good way to try more things you're interested in.   

There are usually many things I want to try at Specialty Restaurants so sometimes getting half orders let's me try more.  😉

I have found in all of Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants I've dined in across different ships, they have always been very accommodating and almost want you to try a lot.  

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

Con't...

I know you inquired about Tuscan but one exception for the 1/2 portion option and additional courses I would say is Le Petit Chef just because of the way it's set up but they do let you mix and match items from the main menu and alternate menu.   I didn't ask about 1/2 portions there so who knows, maybe they would but that's a 4-course meal that is on a schedule so you wouldn't be getting additional items between the courses.  😉

Tuscan Grille was the first Specialty Restaurant I asked about 1/2 portions for some things and since then, I always think of that as an option...even for non-speciality dining.   

🍹

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kybee said:

When you dine in a speciality restaurant can you order whatever you want or are you limited to one item per “catagory” (I.e. appetizer, entree, dessert)?  For example, if I want 2 apps, plus a salad, can you do that?  We’re considering Tuscan Grille on our next cruise as we’ve heard good things.  Haven’t said that, on our previous cruises we lived the food in the main dining! 

You may be charged $20 for each additional entree in a Specialty Restaurant.  I have never been charged for an additional appetizer but expect a $20 charge for an additional entree.

We generally find the speciality restaurants very accommodating.

Re starters I suggest you ask for them to be served ‘family style’….So you would request, for example, the Caesar salad, meatballs and calamari and two side plates. 

Totally agree with the comments of others that it is very easy to over order. Portions are not small.

Re sides for mains choose different ones as they are served on side plates anyway so easy to share.

If you are really too full for dessert remember they have a sorbet (although it isn’t on the menu).

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We generally find the speciality restaurants very accommodating.

Re starters I suggest you ask for them to be served ‘family style’….So you would request, for example, the Caesar salad, meatballs and calamari and two side plates. 

Totally agree with the comments of others that it is very easy to over order. Portions are not small.

Re sides for mains choose different ones as they are served on side plates anyway so easy to share.

If you are really too full for dessert remember they have a sorbet (although it isn’t on the menu).

Can you request dessert to be packed "to go"?   I can't eat a lot in one sitting.  I would love to take my dessert to enjoy on my balcony later in the evening.

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Re sides for mains choose different ones as they are served on side plates anyway so easy to share

That was a change we noticed in Tuscan on Eclipse last month.

On previous cruises the sides were always large and shareable, this time they were tiny and barely enough for one person…

1 hour ago, Kybee said:

Interesting.  I only read that in regards to lobster.  Is this from recent experience and if so, which restaurant?  We’re interested in Tuscan and/or Murano.

From Beyond:

$20 charge applied per additional Entrée ordered

20 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

On previous cruises the sides were always large and shareable, this time they were tiny and barely enough for one person…

In the Tuscan Grill on Eclipse in October 2019 we ordered broccolini as a side for the table of our to share. We were brought one stalk in an oval dish! It was hilarious to us!

8 minutes ago, VaCruzers said:

In the Tuscan Grill on Eclipse in October 2019 we ordered broccolini as a side for the table of our to share. We were brought one stalk in an oval dish! It was hilarious to us!

Did you tell them and ask for more?

30 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

6 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

No, we had plenty of food otherwise. It was just funny that the server had promoted the family sized sides for sharing and out came this one sad stalk. It was delicious 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Didn't need to on the first occasion as 'barely enough' was enough given the other food we had ordered.

Second occasion we were forewarned and ordered accordingly.

• Like 1