Alaska

Debate

Can you see Alaska sights from the Regent boats - glaciers, wildlife, etc - or do you have to take excursions to really “ see “ Alaska?   Also, we will be traveling with our 15 year old daughter.  If cruising in the Summer are there activities and/or other kids?  

2 hours ago, Debate said:

Can you see Alaska sights from the Regent boats - glaciers, wildlife, etc - or do you have to take excursions to really “ see “ Alaska?   Also, we will be traveling with our 15 year old daughter.  If cruising in the Summer are there activities and/or other kids?  

As said, the scdnery is beutiful, but you need to get off the ship and out onto smaller boats, or into the interior to see wildlife and other sights.

Highly recommend the train at least on way in Skagway, If you have kids they will love seeing the sled dogs and going for a ride also in Skagway but other places probably too.  

If you go out of Seward one of the boat rides to whale, seal, seabirds and glacier watch was a big highlight as well a great aquarium with behind-the-scenes puffin feeding - another hit for kids.  

You will spend time in one of the glacier areas on board.  

As others have said, you will see beautiful scenery and ocean wild life from the cruise ship but the real wow experiences happen on shore. If you are cruising with Regent your port excursions are included so take advantage of those. You won’t get a rebate if you don’t take a Regent tour. When my family went to Alaska several years ago we did a variety of activities: small ship tour to the edge of a glacier, whale watching, helicopter flight that landed on a glacier, float plane that landed on a remote mountain lake, rented a car and drove into the Canadian Yukon, walked around the small towns. The list of activities are endless just find something that works best for you. All of our excursions were once in a lifetime adventures and we will remember them forever. If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn’t do the helicopter tour. I’ve never been on a helicopter before and I probably never will again. An Alaskan cruise is full of wonderful sites that are so unique but you need to set foot on land to get the full experience. Good luck.

There is one day, when the ship will be close to a glacier and make sure to turn around so both sides of the ship can see it.

As others have stated, the excursions are great.  But before you leave I recommend reading "Alaska" by James Michener, yes it is large, but it will give you a great outlook for some of the things you see.

The white train (I believe is the name) is a great day and the trek it takes is also described in the book.

The train from Anchorage to the cruise ship is also a great day.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:34 PM, irishwitchy said:

Highly recommend a land trip to Denali before or after the cruise, especially if you like hiking.  

And don't ignore the ability to book a land trip to Denali with Princess.  NOT the cruise, but the land tour can be booked independently.  Princess (and Holland America) have special trains for this.  We did it with Princess after a Regent cruise ending in Anchorage, and it was great.  Special train to Denali, three nights in a nice Princess owned lodge at the entrance to Denali, and then return to Anchorage by bus (because of timing).

On 2/13/2023 at 4:37 PM, Debate said:

As a long-term, ardent Regent cruiser, I have to say: DO NOT take a cruise "to see" Alaska! Very small boats can be MAGNIFICENT for whale watching, getting close to glaciers, etc. We did Tauck's "multi-generational" land tour (with air over Denali and 2 small boat trips) with 15 -year old grandson - the bonding of a lifetime!