Documents for Prescription Medications

pepperding

We will be doing a Mediterranean Cruise in May and will be visiting Turkey for one day, arriving and leaving by ship (we fly into Athens to board a few days earlier and I have already found out what I need to do regarding Greek Customs and my medication). I will be travelling with a number of prescription medications some of which are restricted in Turkey, but none of these meds will be leaving the ship, baring one dose of co-codamol which I will need to take during the day while on land. Information online tells me that I will need to obtain prior permission from Turkish authorities to travel with any of my medications and that I need to contact the Turkish embassy. I have tried to do this but am always directed to a standard FAQ answer which refers to medications arriving via Turkish customs, which we will not be doing. I don't seem to be able get past this barrier at the embassy to find out what, if anything I actually need to do. So am wondering if anyone here has experience of this specific situation and knows what I might actually need to do, if anything?

If you’re just doing a day trip off the ship and not doing a customs inspection to and from, I doubt that you have to do anything. You can always contact Viking via email at tellus@vikingcruises.com,l for advice, and have a doctor’s letter/prescription with you on land. Worst case, just stay on the ship if you can’t do without your meds.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 1

FWIW, when we departed the ship on our cruise that finished in Istanbul and then took our 3-day post cruise extension to Cappadocia, no one inquired about our medicines at all.  In fact, they didn't even ask to see the visa that we got for Turkey.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  As suggested above, ask Viking what they think.  Maybe get a letter from your doctor to carry with you if needed.

• Like 3

I agree hbtraveler.  This sounds like asking for a lot of bureaucratic garbage.  In two world cruises we had no issues with meds at all.   If I needed to take a mid day dose I simply put one pill in my pocket.  No one ever frisked me looking for meds.  Also, in my life experience, any time I have asked a bureaucrat (any bureaucrat) a question (any question) the immediate response has been "no".  Fill out these forms and for sure pay the "nominal" fees.  The OP can ask away as he/she sees fit but I surely would not.🍷

• Like 5

Keep it simple. Get a letter from your Doctor. Bring the original scripts. Take the original bottles and keep them in that until use. Don't use the packing trays. Only take enough for your needs on the trip plus a week or so spares. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just went through this exercise worrying whether Bali would come down on us.  My wife is on a lot of meds for transplant and nerve pain issues.

We got doctors notes, took pictures of all the bottles, carried them in our back packs.

We just walked through the airport and nobody asked or stopped us.  I suppose because we looked like old geezers and wife has a limp.

That being said everyday is a different day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

We just went through this exercise worrying whether Bali would come down on us.  My wife is on a lot of meds for transplant and nerve pain issues.

We got doctors notes, took pictures of all the bottles, carried them in our back packs.

We just walked through the airport and nobody asked or stopped us.  I suppose because we looked like old geezers and wife has a limp.

That being said everyday is a different day!

Bali is probably the one port where I've been frisked the most. Had deep luggage searches. God knows what they were looking for. They ripped open presents I'd wrapped for a wedding. They could have xrayed them but nope, rip rip. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Bali is probably the one port where I've been frisked the most. Had deep luggage searches. God knows what they were looking for. They ripped open presents I'd wrapped for a wedding. They could have xrayed them but nope, rip rip. 

I don’t feel so bad anymore.  In fact I feel very lucky!

I have traveled to Turkey several times with prescriptions, some narcotics.  There has never been an issue.  I did take my drugs in their original containers, but no one has even looked twice at them.  This was all land travel, so did not have the ship’s protection.

• Like 1

Tip that helped me in a "situation":  

If you get a doctor's letter,  include the Doctor's National Provider Identifier (NPI) # under their signature.  You can look up your doctor's NPI here

https://npidb.org/

I carry a small pharmacy, a little bit of everything in a small bag for common things that can go wrong with head, throat, tummy, respiratory system, etc. when traveling.   

I always travel with a letter that I authored, signed from my doctor with:

[ Jane Doe ] is in overall good health and is suitable to fly.

She requires these medications

1) Medication, Dosage, times / day

2) Medication, Dosage, times / day

In addition, from time to time, she may need 

[ all the sore throat, cold, flu, tylenol, etc meds ] 

[ signature ] 

<Doctors Name>

<Doctor's Title> 

National Provider Identifier (NPI):  

I ran out of one of my meds, and tried to get it replaced without first seeing a doctor.

The pharmacist at first said, "this is not a prescription" upon seeing the letter. 

I pointed out that he could look up the doctor's NPI # to verify he's a real doctor.  (which I was impressed to see that he actually did verify) 

I then said confidently but politely,  that with the NPI number attached, it's like a prescription

Net:  

I was able to get my med without the extra step of seeing a doctor first.

I was also able to buy  without a local doctor's script. a replacement Zithromax (Z-Pak) for my 5 year old expired un-used Z-Pak for my suitcase.   I could find no doctor in the US who would refill my expired suitcase Z-Pak (Yes, I understand why.) 

Related to my tiny traveling pharmacy: 

I have a note to buy sub-lingual Benadryl next time in Italy.   

Can't buy it here in the US.  It's great for family members with food allergies.  

Fastest acting OTC thing to give someone having a food allergy attack that I've seen.

10 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Wow...thanks for the info on sub-lingual Benadryl. We cannot get that in the US. Have you had any issues getting it back into the US? 

No trouble at all.    The packaging looked like a variation of Benadryl's packaging.   

I don't believe it's illegal here.  It's simply not marketed here. 

This Benadryl seemed to work at least 2 min faster than the pill version, which for someone going into allergic reaction is HUGE.  

I learned of this from a restaurant owner in Venice ~ 15 yrs ago.  Even though we stated a family member had a seafood allergy and explicitly asked about anchovies,  we were served a steak sauce made with anchovies. Anaphylaxis started.   The restaurant owner immediately suggested she put this "allergy pill" under her tongue. 

I hesitated, [ first night, first meal, unknown pill ] but in a moment of desperation we gambled...  Worked well.  Prevented an epipen injection.

We still took a boat to the nearest hospital just in case since her pulse rate was still elevated.   Not the ideal way to spend a first night in Venice, but at least the owner was prepared.

Edit:  @Sunflower & The Scientistif you are able to find sub-lingual Benadryl next time you are in Italy, Could you reply here?  

I know it was available as recently as ~ 4 yrs ago cos a friend brought me back a box.  Not sure about 2023's availability.

I checked Dubai and Amsterdam in 2021 / 2022 - neither had it.    I was having so much fun on British Isles Explorer I forgot to check for it at all in the UK or Norway..  

Edited by SempreMare

I have an anaphylaxis reaction to mold (in the air, blue cheese, etc).  Alavert makes a fast dissolving tablet you leave on your tongue.  It is lortadine, a different antihistamine from Benadryl.  I carry them with me and use them when as a first step when anaphylaxis starts.  If my exposure is little, it can be enough.  I use the Epi pen when it is bad. YMMV.  

39 minutes ago, dd57 said:

I have an anaphylaxis reaction to mold (in the air, blue cheese, etc).  Alavert makes a fast dissolving tablet you leave on your tongue.  It is lortadine, a different antihistamine from Benadryl.  I carry them with me and use them when as a first step when anaphylaxis starts.  If my exposure is little, it can be enough.  I use the Epi pen when it is bad. YMMV.  

Interesting.   Thanks for posting this. 

How would you compare it to Benadryl? (diphenhydramine)

PS:  Any chance your user name is related to this

Strangely, I had a bad reaction after taking Benadryl and the doctors weren't sure of the cause so told me to stay away from it.   I discovered Alavert when I couldn't take Benadryl.

PS:  Nope.   I just made up the name.

• Like 1