Classic Beverage Package Changes and Devaluation

j0hnnyb0yyyyy

1 minute ago, prmssk said:

No, most drinks at Cafe Al Bacio are covered under both drink packages (except a few alcohol ones over the drink package limit).

Thank you! It's my first time having a drink package, so I'm really lost 😅

I wonder if the Cruise lines are looking to do away with the drink packages completely?  If you look at Celebrity's cost of just the classic package and run it through Cruzely's drink calculator, if you just have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, 2 drinks during the day and coffee and water the rest of the time, you're better off not buying the package. If you drink over 4 cocktails a day, you're starting to be better off with the package. I always run a breakeven before I decide to pop for the package. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

I wonder if the Cruise lines are looking to do away with the drink packages completely?  If you look at Celebrity's cost of just the classic package and run it through Cruzely's drink calculator, if you just have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, 2 drinks during the day and coffee and water the rest of the time, you're better off not buying the package. If you drink over 4 cocktails a day, you're starting to be better off with the package. I always run a breakeven before I decide to pop for the package. 

Ya, with the app it kind of makes it easier to track to see the 'numbers'.  On my last cruise I came out basically even with the new pricing and my wife came out ahead (saving), both of us with the classic package.  Next time I would probably go without if they didn't have the rule about both having to have it. 

3 hours ago, stellarose said:

why are the confusing passengers now.  I booked in September 22' for August 23'.  classic package - so im hoping there is no confusion when I board. 

Always take a printed copy of your invoice, that has what you'll get on it, even if you have to go to guest relations to get it, lol! 

1 minute ago, rmalbers said:

Always take a printed copy of your invoice, that has what you'll get on it, even if you have to go to guest relations to get it, lol! 

You can log into to your account select you booking then go to Plan Cruise.  In the upper right hand corner you will see a circle with your initials select that and go to order history where all purchases, dining reservations,  beverage package, wi-fi will show.  The Classic package  has a picture of limes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rmalbers said:

In that beverage link posted a few posts above.  It used to be aournd $30/day but it's gone up, I think.

It is. $20 pd + 20% gratuity.  If you upgrade pre cruise Captains Club Classic and above get 10 or 15% discount depending upon level.  In order to get the discount you need to call to upgrade and remind them to apply the discount.  

1 hour ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

I hope they do not do away with the drink packages . I cruised on Celebrity Century in 2000 and walked away with $ 1000 bar bill for myself and my wife .  Turned us off so we did AI land resorts until 2019 when we went on Edge with the all inclusive package . Then Princess and then RC and getting ready to be on Reflection in March with the all included . They take that way , we are back to 2001 doing land based vacations . Not interested in those large bar tabs .of course that is us.l but I do not want a bill at the end of a cruise period . 🚢

Edited by NC58
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, NC58 said:

I hope they do not do away with the drink packages . I cruised on Celebrity Century in 2000 and walked away with $ 1000 bar bill for myself and my wife .  Turned us off so we did AI land resorts until 2019 when we went on Edge with the all inclusive package . Then Princess and then RC and getting ready to be on Reflection in March with the all included . They take that way , we are back to 2001 doing land based vacations . Not interested in those large bar tabs .of course that is us.l but I do not want a bill at the end of a cruise period . 🚢

We also once had a $1k bar bill.  That's when we started doing the breakeven analysis on the package. If (and we were being conservative in our assumptions), the out-of-pocket cost was higher or even with the package price, we'd go with the package, conversely, if it was less, we'd go out of pocket.  This also depends on the number of port days vs. sea days. A high sea day voyage equates to more drinking. While we don't find ourselves drinking more to make the package worth it, we do allow ourselves to upgrade our water and coffee choices if we have the package vs. when we don't.  To me, it's a delicate balance that I strive to come out ahead on. It's like negotiating $50 off the price of something, not a major thing in the history of the world, but a victory, nonetheless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

You can log into to your account select you booking then go to Plan Cruise.  In the upper right hand corner you will see a circle with your initials select that and go to order history where all purchases, dining reservations,  beverage package, wi-fi will show.  The Classic package  has a picture of limes.

Very helpful!  We are new to Celebrity.  We have the classic package as part of our booking.  If we upgrade to premium, do we just pay the difference per day?  That seems logical (to me).  

2 hours ago, Ducky Deau said:

I purchased the drink package the morning after they raised the classic from $69 to $89a day.  I purchased it as it did include the zero proof- specialty coffees etc and wanted the pre cruise discount.  I screen capped my purchase. Are you saying they are not honoring that now and I will need to upgrade for another 20 dollars a day to get what I originally purchased? Is the all included different from purhasing the package outright? 

Duck

They probably don't have any practical way of including the premium zero-proof drinks with a classic package as the drinks are coded in their bar systems a certain way.

10 minutes ago, raiderfan95959 said:

Very helpful!  We are new to Celebrity.  We have the classic package as part of our booking.  If we upgrade to premium, do we just pay the difference per day?  That seems logical (to me).  

Yes , you pay the difference , $20 plus gats

or just pay the difference per drink , 

Agree with your frustration.  Had the same with the room service.  Sold the wife on paying more for Celebrity, mainly on a hot room service breakfast.  We get it everyday.  Same with 2nd lobster, prime rib.....  although those are not that much of an issue with us. Then they took it away after my final payment.

Not grandfathered, no option to cancel......  Not cool.  it would be so easy to grandfather anyone in..... simple IT fix.  I'll do it for them if they can't figure it out.... lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

No, most drinks at Cafe Al Bacio are covered under both drink packages (except a few alcohol ones over the drink package limit).

You would think, right?
but, unfortunately I don’t think that’s the case anymore ( but I hope it’s just a misprint) 

As per the “new” package listings, it does not list specialty coffee or tea in the basic package.

Only in the premium or zero proof package. 
Under “compare packages” it does still list specialty coffee and tea, but NOT in the new description of package inclusions. 
So confusing. I too booked under the AI - a year ago and set to sail in March. 

Hopefully someone who is currently sailing can confirm what is now included. 

6 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

You would think, right?
but, unfortunately I don’t think that’s the case anymore ( but I hope it’s just a misprint) 

As per the “new” package listings, it does not list specialty coffee or tea in the basic package.

Under “compare packages” it does still list specialty coffee and tea, but NOT in the new description of package inclusions. 

If they had eliminated the specialty coffees from the classic package, we would have heard about it already from many cruise critic members. Drink package changes have been in place for at least a month and the website has been been missing a list of the non-alcohol inclusions for the classic package for at least that long. It is only very recently they added them back to the drink package compare page. 

I personally believe nothing has changed as to what is included in the classic alcohol package except a small increase in the drink limit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Also remember that Elites and above get free mismoas and bloody marys in the morning and the 5pm-7pm happy hour.  You can also carry on 2 bottles of wine per person.  Lastly you can sit at a penny slot machine by the bar and you'll be in the path of the waitstaff; I'd guess that's only $1-$2 in penny slots per drink

55 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

You would think, right?

If you look  at this link what comes up is the Classic package and it has, and still, includes premium coffees and teas. Below the Classic is the Zero Proof and if you scroll over you will find the Premium package.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/compare-packages

1 hour ago, Duanerice1 said:

Not grandfathered, no option to cancel......  Not cool.  it would be so easy to grandfather anyone in..... simple IT fix.  I'll do it for them if they can't figure it out.... lol

I disagree, it would not be "so easy to grandfather anyone in" .. full disclosure I think the way Celebrity did this was wrong, they should have given more notice so passengers would still be outside of the mandatory final payment date giving them time to make a decision on whether they still wanted to cruise or not. 

That being said, since not everyone books a cruise at the same time, some people do it up to two years in advance and others wait and grab a cruise in the last month/week before the ship sails.  How would they know who booked wne with regard to dining services?  How would they differentiate someone who book a year or more in advance, and would be "grandfathered", and someone who booked last month?  Not a "simple IT fix".  

Full disclosure -- I do not have a 'dog in this hunt' I am booked in a suite for our next cruise. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NC58 said:

Bottom line with the drink package is, are they making a profit?  They have many options to ensure the package remains profitable along with price increases.  They'll know exactly what part of the package isn't profitable and can adjust the package rules.  If they determine pax are drinking too many drinks per day, they can change the rules to limit the amount of daily drinks to say 10.  If over a certain timeframe X determines too many people are ordering Johnnie Walker Red, they can remove from the package

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I disagree, it would not be "so easy to grandfather anyone in" .. full disclosure I think the way Celebrity did this was wrong, they should have given more notice so passengers would still be outside of the mandatory final payment date giving them time to make a decision on whether they still wanted to cruise or not. 

That being said, since not everyone books a cruise at the same time, some people do it up to two years in advance and others wait and grab a cruise in the last month/week before the ship sails.  How would they know who booked wne with regard to dining services?  How would they differentiate someone who book a year or more in advance, and would be "grandfathered", and someone who booked last month?  Not a "simple IT fix".  

Full disclosure -- I do not have a 'dog in this hunt' I am booked in a suite for our next cruise. 

Yup!  Crew is going to swipe/tap your sea pass in their computer along with the drink order and it will either ring a $0 if the drink is currently included in the drink package or it will charge you.  No way to grandfather it

9 hours ago, j0hnnyb0yyyyy said:

Just needed to vent my frustrations. I decided I wanted an “elevated” cruise experience for a quick, semi last minute cruise getaway. I’m normally a Carnival and Royal Caribbean guy. Ive sailed celebrity once before and had fun. But honestly, Celebrity tends to be a little over my budget ordinarily. So we booked a cruise that was 58 days out, and booked an Aqua class room. Wasn’t cheap, but it presented a good value for the dollar in my opinion. And i showed this value to 7 other people to get them to book as well. 4 rooms in total. Now since my booking, a little over 2 weeks ago, they changed the contents of the Classic Beverage package, and took away the full inclusion of the contents of the ZERO PROOF package, and left over some basic stuff like coffee, etc.  I personally found value that it, when i booked, included items like Evian, Redbull, and Vitamin Water. Now that is no longer included, and am now  told to pay the difference for the premium package if i want those things, instead of honoring what I originally purchased. I like to think im a man of principle. And i cant just cancel the “package”, as a vote of my wallet, as it was included in the original fare, which i obviously cant adjust now being so close to sailing. Ive just never seen such blatant disregard for guests concerns from a hospitality company before. 

END RANT lol

Call X and plead your case, maybe they'll offer you an like a $100 OBC.  If they don't offer an OBC tell them an OBC would satisfy your compliant