What's Covid like onboard a RCCL cruise? We're cruising for the first time in 7 years.

E46M3

On my recent Anthem cruise, most staff didn't wear a mask. There was a couple in our FB group that said they both got COVID midway through the cruise and we're quarantined for the remainder of the cruise. Some tested positive after the cruise. Like anywhere you go now, you take a risk in possibly contracting it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toad455 said:

On my recent Anthem cruise, most staff didn't wear a mask. There was a couple in our FB group that said they both got COVID midway through the cruise and we're quarantined for the remainder of the cruise. Some tested positive after the cruise. Like anywhere you go now, you take a risk in possibly contracting it.

Curious, do you know if those quarantined for remainder of the cruise did so in their cabin or do they still use the cabins near the medical center for quarantine?

4 hours ago, blondie from arizona said:

We were on Mariner a couple weeks ago. On the last evening of the cruise, the entire staff put on the masks. Bar staff took our order with no mask, came back wearing a mask. All staff that I asked said that a member of the crew had COVID so they all had to wear the masks. It was a little disturbing.

Also, on the first evening of that cruise, our waiter was wearing a mask. He was the only one, and he was not new to the ship. Not sure whey he was wearing it, and since we didn't know each other, I didn't ask. He did have a button on his shirt with his picture on it, so we could see what he looked like. I thought that was nice. 

We also had hand sanitizer and masking in our cabin at embarkation. 

that is odd that every single crew member had to mask up on your last evening.  I wonder if they were masked up for the next cruise.

Your Waiter was probably opting to wear a mask (not unusual).

Yes, every cruise we have been on has still been leaving hand sanitizer and masks in cabin when we embark.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Curious, do you know if those quarantined for remainder of the cruise did so in their cabin or do they still use the cabins near the medical center for quarantine?

They stayed in their own cabin. I think with ships at or near capacity, they can't hold empty rooms for COVID quarantines anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E46M3 said:

is there's an statistics on cruise passengers contracting covid that are relatively recent? Just wondering what the average % that people are catching Covid on cruises. 

Previously ships were unable to dock at various ports if they had 1% or more of covid positive passengers/crew onboard.     Haven't heard any numbers in a months so it must be well under 1%.   

No one ever really knew the % of covid positive passengers after a cruise.   

7 hours ago, E46M3 said:

is there's an statistics on cruise passengers contracting covid that are relatively recent? Just wondering what the average % that people are catching Covid on cruises. 

None of the cruise lines have any idea and I’m quite certain they don’t want to know.  Barring some type of drastic change in the virus, Covid concerns are a thing of the past for cruise companies.  

10 hours ago, E46M3 said:

"Catching COVID on cruises" is hard to measure. In the example above, someone got sick after a few days on the ship,,, which would imply that they were infected prior to boarding (and likely due to airline travel). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blondie from arizona said:

Also, on the first evening of that cruise, our waiter was wearing a mask. He was the only one, and he was not new to the ship. Not sure whey he was wearing it, and since we didn't know each other, I didn't ask. He did have a button on his shirt with his picture on it, so we could see what he looked like. I thought that was nice. 

We chatted with a person working in one of the shops wearing a mask. She said that she had COVID and after testing clean, she had to wear a mask for 5 more days. Her cabinmate did not catch COVID, but was also required to wear a mask due to close contact. 

• Like 1

We did cruises in Feb, March, August and  late Nov/early Dec last year and in early Feb this year. 

I heard that people caught covid on 4 of the 5 cruises we were on including the last one. 

We did not catch covid but did come home with a bad cold on our August cruise. Tested neg. Pretty sure it was a cold, lasted 10 days and was way more severe than when I had covid which only lasted 4-5 days.

Self serve in the buffet was only on the last two cruises.

Point is... you pay your money and takes your chances.